4 Days in L.A. - How to Get My 80s Fix??

Junk Yard Dog

I'll be in LA with my lady in early March. She wants to do Venice and Santa Monica one day, and I HAVE to do Sunset Strip at least one day. A drink at the Rainbow, visit some vintage 80s cock rock store, etc. Maybe Guitar Center Platinum room?

Also, we are going to AirBNB our stay. What is the best neighborhood to stay in? My friend suggested Culver City, since it's 30 mins to the beach, 30 minutes to the Strip, and 45 minutes to Hollywood, but we're open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Rainbow, viper room for 80’s.

Unrelated but eat at in n out for a burger, mr. chins for chinese, or the griddle cafe for pancakes! :thumbsup:

Junk Yard Dog":1vfjr65h said:
I'll be in LA with my lady in early March. She wants to do Venice and Santa Monica one day, and I HAVE to do Sunset Strip at least one day. A drink at the Rainbow, visit some vintage 80s cock rock store, etc. Maybe Guitar Center Platinum room?

Also, we are going to AirBNB our stay. What is the best neighborhood to stay in? My friend suggested Culver City, since it's 30 mins to the beach, 30 minutes to the Strip, and 45 minutes to Hollywood, but we're open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Stayed in Culver city two times, highly recommended. As you said it's pretty close to all the spots you're interested in, and prices aren't that crazy either, compared to Hollywood or Santa Monica. You HAVE to check out Tone Merchants in North Hollywood (roughly 40 min from Culver City), the GC Platinum room on Sunset is pretty cool too, on the opposite side of the street you also have Sam Ash and the Mesa Boogie shop. Norman's rare guitars in Tarzana is also worth visiting (20/30 minutes from Tone Merchants)

edit: unrelated to music, but if you have the time go up to the Griffith observatory, stunning views of the city especially at night
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtw37rfzyequiwl/_MGP5675.jpg?dl=0

RoccoPezzin":12e7fn2g said:
Stayed in Culver city two times, highly recommended. As you said it's pretty close to all the spots you're interested in, and prices aren't that crazy either, compared to Hollywood or Santa Monica. You HAVE to check out Tone Merchants in North Hollywood (roughly 40 min from Culver City), the GC Platinum room on Sunset is pretty cool too, on the opposite side of the street you also have Sam Ash and the Mesa Boogie shop. Norman's rare guitars in Tarzana is also worth visiting (20/30 minutes from Tone Merchants)

edit: unrelated to music, but if you have the time go up to the Griffith observatory, stunning views of the city especially at night
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtw37rfzyequiwl/_MGP5675.jpg?dl=0</span>

Awesome, thanks!! Wish we had more time, but probably only have time for one guitar store. Would love to check out Tone Merchants! Thanks for the suggestions and will try to fit in all that we can.

moltenmetalburn":12e7fn2g said:
Rainbow, viper room for 80’s.

Unrelated but eat at in n out for a burger, mr. chins for chinese, or the griddle cafe for pancakes! :thumbsup:
All good suggestions. I'll skip In-n-Out since we have them here in Tejas.

Many thanks, dudes.

JYD: not sure what's left on Sunset anymore for guitar stores but there's still a few...nothing like 30 years ago, though. Haven't been to GC Hollywood in years, not sure what they've got going there in the vintage...err...platinum room these days.

Good luck while you're here!

Sounds like a fun trip. If you're going 80's, might as well go all out and check out Nakatomi Plaza:

af7bca1be29df50ae02562675f95cf29.jpg

Go see Sunset Sound, where the first VH albums were recorded. It's fenced off, but you can ogle at it. Go to the 7-11 next to it and imagine the guy buying their smoked and Schlitz Malt Liquor pounders there while recording. Go see the VH childhood home in Pasadena, then drive down the back alleyway and look at the garage, where Ed probably painted up several of his famous guitars.

Rick Lee":3o38gbzm said:
Go see Sunset Sound, where the first VH albums were recorded. It's fenced off, but you can ogle at it. Go to the 7-11 next to it and imagine the guy buying their smoked and Schlitz Malt Liquor pounders there while recording. Go see the VH childhood home in Pasadena, then drive down the back alleyway and look at the garage, where Ed probably painted up several of his famous guitars.

Ha! That's awesome. I'll be sure to do all of that. :D

On Tuesday nights at the Whiskey there is the Ultimate Jam Night. Many well known LA guys show up every week. FREE show just buy 2 drinks. I have seen Dee Snider, Sebastian Bach, Tracy Guns, Scotty Hill, Billy Sheehan and countless others. It is a great time

Back