Bogner Helios owners

tripstan

How’s the clean channel? It’s a 100 watt so I’m thinking it will have more headroom and sound even cleaner at lower volumes. I’m working a trade for my Dirty Shirley. The DS is awesome and I get a great chimey clean with the guitar volume rolled down, I’m assuming the Helios does that too.

It does, but you have to plug into the lo input. I loved mine, but kind of a funky design. We'll see if they improved it at NAMM!

Yeah, great tone but you cannot switch between the clean and high gain channel with the footswitch

scottosan":353k2ul3 said:
Yeah, great tone but you cannot switch between the clean and high gain channel with the footswitch
Wait you can't switch between the clean channel and the OD? Or do you mean go from Plexi (low input) Clean channel to High gain Channel? Another question, this guy is wanting my DS, Fryette power Station plus $100 cash. I think that's a bit much.

tripstan":312s39fn said:
scottosan":312s39fn said:
Wait you can't switch between the clean channel and the OD? Or do you mean go from Plexi (low input) Clean channel to High gain Channel? Another question, this guy is wanting my DS, Fryette power Station plus $100 cash. I think that's a bit much.

That seems a bit one sided, and not in your favor in my opinion. :D

tripstan":34pi18mv said:
scottosan":34pi18mv said:
Right, you have to physically unplugg from the low output jack and into the high to go from clean to high gain. I am a Bogner fanboi, but that is the reason I didn't keep mine long

scottosan":2dvntfjw said:
tripstan":2dvntfjw said:
scottosan":2dvntfjw said:
Right, you have to physically unplugg from the low output jack and into the high to go from clean to high gain. I am a Bogner fanboi, but that is the reason I didn't keep mine long

So you can switch channels just not inputs? That does seem kinda wack. So when in the High input you still can footswitch to the clean channel but it's more driven I take it. I'm surprised Reinhold didn't make that toggle switchable. The XTC has toggles galore! Not a total deal breaker for me but kind of a bummer.

tripstan":dkc6cgsp said:
scottosan":dkc6cgsp said:
tripstan":dkc6cgsp said:
scottosan":dkc6cgsp said:

So you can switch channels just not inputs? That does seem kinda wack. So when in the High input you still can footswitch to the clean channel but it's more driven I take it. I'm surprised Reinhold didn't make that toggle switchable. The XTC has toggles galore! Not a total deal breaker for me but kind of a bummer.
The plexi side of the high input is crap

I prefer the tone of the 50w Helios to the 100. They seemed quite a bit different to me. The 50 has a variac vs half power etc. they have some real differences. I looked at them hard and drove a ton of miles to play several after trying a 100 at gc. They all sounded good I’m just telling you my experiences. Also, I don’t think that’s a very good deal personally. Just my $.02

I think the resale value of the Helios will drop significantly after the new one is released with channel switching. I wouldn't make that deal. I would wait for the new release.

Couldn't you just use an A/B switch to switch between the high and lo inputs?
No, plugging into the Plexi input disables the Hot input, and vice versa
How does the 80tys channel sound compared to the XTC red gain ?
The Helios 80's mode uses diode clipping, and doesn't sound as big as the XTC Red channel to me. No diodes in the XTC.
Helios clean is lackluster at best. You have a vol knob and bright switches.
Plugged into the hot input in 70's mode is where it's at with the Helios. It's a great sound, but that's it.
Couldn't justify keeping it just for that, so it went out the door.

glip22":b0egu7ot said:
I think the resale value of the Helios will drop significantly after the new one is released with channel switching. I wouldn't make that deal. I would wait for the new release.

I haven't been following prices but looks like the already are. Not sure how much lower they can go. 50's are going for around $1,700 - $1,800. 100's are around $2,200 + or -. Dirty Shirley's seem to go for $1,800 to $2,000 ish.

That would be a terrible trade for you. I agree that Helios used prices will fall when the new one comes out.

Deanmachine":2gjbyolm said:
How does the 80tys channel sound compared to the XTC red gain ?
the Helios is a far departur from the typical chewey Bogner tone. It’s more modded Marshall and utilized diodes fore the 80s mode

Yeah, I wouldn't make that trade, period. It doesn't sound like the Helios will work for you, number one, and number rwo, that guy is out of his mind with the trade values to begin with.

That said, to me, the Helios was a one trick pony. However, 70's high gain with a boost, is the shit. I had the 50, but ultimately let it go because I thought it was very limited, yet very expensive. I had nearly the same tone with my Splawn Competition, (and more), at $900 with footswitchable options/modes vs $2800. No Brainer.

Is the ATMA essentially the 18 watt version of the Helios? This is one Bogner design that just speaks to me. I like all the clips of the 50 and the 100. It cuts through.

Back