Tone Talk w/Mike Soldano

JimmyBlind

Thanks to the member who pointed me towards this channel a few weeks back. It's fast become one of my favorite YT channels. Latest episode is really cool.

Some interesting discussion about Mesa in the video. I've not quite finished watching it yet mind. Our resident 'Rocky Star' got a mention.

Looks like i'm a bit late to the party posting the link. :aww: I'll crawl back under my rock.

That TGP thread is great. Basically they call out Mesa, yet both have copied circuits from others. Heck, take away Jose and you don’t have Friedman. Take away Marshall and Fender and we probably don’t have anything. (I realize fender took circuits from their predecessors too).

Look at all of the Marshall cloners. There must be 50 companies putting out Marshall copies. Same with guitars. Lots of copycat companies.

That said, I wouldn’t want to see any changes. Lots of people are happy with their SLO’s, Mesa’s and Friedman amps.

I just trawled through that thread. :aww: One of the best things about the show is how candid it is. Be a shame if that dynamic changes over the forthcoming episodes.

Thanks for the link :rock:
I hadn't heard about this until now, but I'm about an hour in to watching the vid, and it's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

psychodave":34x54qgg said:
That TGP thread is great. Basically they call out Mesa, yet both have copied circuits from others. Heck, take away Jose and you don’t have Friedman. Take away Marshall and Fender and we probably don’t have anything. (I realize fender took circuits from their predecessors too).

Look at all of the Marshall cloners. There must be 50 companies putting out Marshall copies. Same with guitars. Lots of copycat companies.

That said, I wouldn’t want to see any changes. Lots of people are happy with their SLO’s, Mesa’s and Friedman amps.

Giant hissy bitch fit on TGP.

Crying over the fact MB stole the preamp design from the SLO... despite the fact that the MB Recto sounds nothing like (and looks nothing like) a Soldano SLO.

Majority of the members there are playing jazz/blues thru a 20W Fender combo anyway... not sure why all the butt-hurt.

:confused:

Wizard of Ozz":qshsv1zb said:
psychodave":qshsv1zb said:

Crying over the fact MB stole the preamp design from the SLO... despite the fact that the MB Recto sounds nothing like (and looks nothing like) a Soldano SLO.

Majority of the members there are playing jazz/blues thru a 20W Fender combo anyway... not sure why all the butt-hurt.

For forgot the part about wearing their tan pants while playing their jazz

I like the idea of these Tone Talk videos but they can be like watching paint dry. The host Marc is incredibly dull. I'm sure he's a good dude but he has no idea how to keep a flow going or any kind of conversational energy. 3 plus hours filled with as much uhm and argh as anything interesting. I love staring at a dude lit by his laptop as he fumbles for what to do next :LOL: :LOL:

Didn't Mesa come up with cascading gain stages in the 70s? Without which, there would be on Soldano.

psychodave":2mdukt80 said:
That TGP thread is great. Basically they call out Mesa, yet both have copied circuits from others. Heck, take away Jose and you don’t have Friedman. Take away Marshall and Fender and we probably don’t have anything.

You are correct about influences. The issue that many people have is that Mesa stole the entire circuit pretty much verbatim. It wasn't an influence. It didn't inspire them. They just stole it without credit from a small manufacturer.

I do suspect some of the issue is with it being a small manufacturer Mesa was undercutting rather than one of the other big boys. You can't really get anywhere by stealing a Marshall design and building a cheaper knock-off of it. You can by stealing the SLO design and building a cheap(er) knockoff of it.

SFW":2yn9m6rz said:
Didn't Mesa come up with cascading gain stages in the 70s? Without which, there would be on Soldano.

All amplifiers use cascading gain stages. Fenders and Marshalls all used 2-3 gain stages, one cascaded into the next.

The first electronics to do cascading to intentionally create distortion were fuzz pedals. Those predate any kind of intentional internal amplifier distortion by years. Randall may well have been first to do it with amplifiers. Marshall was doing it for artists inhouse for some time before they came out with their first attempt at it with the 2204/2203 JMPs.

Wizard of Ozz":37qt2qlz said:
psychodave":37qt2qlz said:

True,I quit going there when guys were talking about $4500-$5000 amps that had 2 knobs,and the guys acted like they were the best ever."F" that !

Haven't even checked the vids yet, but Mike has an original take on his circuits. Period.

And no, I'm not a Soldano fanboi (owned a few, but didn't gel with them); but I appreciate his pioneering approach to just doing it his way with his amps and not looking at predecessors to tweak something and put his name on it.

Maybe these videos contradict this "intel" on Mike and his amps, but this is what I know.

Mo

Jose and Friedman same DNA?? :dunno: Maybe, if so - cool :thumbsup:

fusedbrain":3tpx1xjp said:
Thanks for the link :rock:
I hadn't heard about this until now, but I'm about an hour in to watching the vid, and it's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

Totally. I found the two episodes with John Suhr & Pete Thorn superb. Loads of amazing stories and a great insight into the industry & its evolution from some of its most influential protagonists.

What is the link on TGP? Searched and couldn't find it.

This one is long so I only got like an hour or so into it. Love these podcasts though.

Back