NPD: And I typically hate pedals

scottosan

I my recent quest for the unobtanium gear and tonez, I built the amps I wanted and could get either rarety on expensiveness. I decided that I would build a few rare pedals. So, I decided to build a Klon Clone. Being that Klon Clones are much cheaper than the real thing and there are a few makes out that that have nailed it, I figured I would pick one up to compare to when I finish my build. First the Archer came to mind, and the Soul Food and a few others. My being the techie propellerhead that I am, I quickly became turned off by the amount of cheap part used and surface mounted components. Then I found a post about the Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. Looking at the gut shots below it's kind of a no brainer. Plus it has a switch that you can go between clippers

Here are the specs:

•1% metal film resistors
•Nichichon audio grade capacitors
•Alpha pots
•Germanium IN34A diodes
•NOS German OA128 Telefunken diodes
•Neutrik jacks
•Hi intensity LED
•Davies knobs
•Buffered bypass (like the real Klon)
•All ICs socketed
•Hand built and tested in the USA by an actual guitar player, not a robot in a factory overseas

So, alot of the demoes are shit because you cant A/B to similar pedal fairly as pots have a 20% tolerance and in the pedal world thats pretty broad. So, you should set them similar by ear, not by exact knob location. Secondly these dont shine in a completely clean amp as the would an amp either on the verge of breakup or slightly over driven. In both the clean channel of my CCV clone and BE Clone with updated Deluxe Clean *(Buxom Betty) set at the edge of break up, the harmonics, overtones, and "controlled" feed back were showering out of the cab like the squirter category on xhamster. Best I can describe is that all of the stuff you get with high gain lead with medium gain tones and clarity (Think XTC blue channel that is more harmonic). The pedal also works great as a clean boost with the gain turned down. I have really missed the XTC blue, but I swear this kills it.

Archer

2he955s.jpg

Soul Food

2vsmglu.jpg

Mythical Overdrive

jhegd0.jpg

Oblivion DC":3ll9j3v8 said:
Damn...
It’s like the first time I ever saw a Penthouse magazine!

I remember the first Penthouse, that scratch and sniff Penthouse edition, like it was yesterday :D

MetalHeadMike":2sf3fygk said:
Oblivion DC":2sf3fygk said:
Damn...

I remember the first Penthouse, that scratch and sniff Penthouse edition, like it was yesterday :D
Did it smell like starkist?

I built a Ceriatone Klon Clone and it sounds great. I still have a BYOC silver pony kit that is. See to build as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the Rimrock pedals. They look like they are very well made, so I just ordered one.
I've been using an Archer Ikon, so I'm curious to see how the Rimrock compares. I also have a JHS modded Soul Food that's OK. But the Ikon sounds better to me.

scottosan":2bt7rl6d said:
MetalHeadMike":2bt7rl6d said:
Oblivion DC":2bt7rl6d said:
Damn...

Did it smell like starkist?

:LOL: :LOL: No, but it didn't smell like what it should have smelled like either though.

Scree the pedals, Im impressed as hell you're able to build the amps; I'd probably lose a finger. :LOL: :LOL:

So I went to the site to see.

What is the difference between the two options for the high clippers?

OA126 Germanium vs OA128 Silicon

maddnotez":x7w6p0fn said:
So I went to the site to see.

What is the difference between the two options for the high clippers?

OA126 Germanium vs OA128 Silicon
the stock original diodes are 1n34a and this is the default switch up setting. The other 2, while they still provide gain, it’s less gain and more boost. The oa126 has just a list more clean headroom. I pretty much stay on the 1n34a

I would like to add that you don’t need to use much level on the pedal as it will donkey punch the front end of your amp

Ah cool, so just leave that box unchecked when ordering.

I just watched an A/B vid with the Klon and the Rimrock seems VERY close to exact. I may end up trying one of these at some point, thanks for sharing and congrats.

maddnotez":ezcfxvhn said:
Ah cool, so just leave that box unchecked when ordering.

I just watched an A/B vid with the Klon and the Rimrock seems VERY close to exact. I may end up trying one of these at some point, thanks for sharing and congrats.
i would wager the slight audio difference are likely due to potentiometer tolerances

I have almost decided on a klone after looking at 50 of them.

Look up the ryra klone gutshot. Nice one. Vishay metal film, sockets, switchcraft jacks.

No joke I had a lit of like 50 klones haha.

I narrowed down to RYRA, walrus voyager, ohmless lorena, and rawkworks light od. Ryra has my favorite components but the others have a smaller footprint.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... cs;u=11813

Back