Marshall DSL1HR...worth it for home use?

smucarolina

No longer play out. Have a 4x10 cabinet sitting around. Got rid of all my large amps. Will I be satisfied with the tone from a 1 watt tube amp at home for playing by myself? Thoughts?

I really like my 50th Anniversary DSL1, its perfect for home playing. Great clean and crunch. And for metal my VH4 and Uberschall pedals sound huge through it.

Don't let 1 watt fool you, it can get loud enough to annoy someone. I rarely turn it up past 1 o'clock.

If you are a 5150 type guy I would get the 5150iii LBXIII. I have it and its truly an amazing amp. But if you are looking for something "different" teh DSL 1 HR is a cool little amp.

I have the jvm1h which I run through a 1960a cab. Fantastic for home practice and recording, especially gain and crunch tones. The only downside is that you might need something else if you want to play clean with some volume. I figure the dsl is similar in that regard, but you can crank that clean an get a decent crunch at low volume.

Only thing you might find lacking with the small amps like the DSL1HR is the low end response and the punch of the amp. Other than that, its a great option for home use.

acidvoodoo":3jznpssc said:
I really like my 50th Anniversary DSL1, its perfect for home playing. Great clean and crunch. And for metal my VH4 and Uberschall pedals sound huge through it.

Don't let 1 watt fool you, it can get loud enough to annoy someone. I rarely turn it up past 1 o'clock.

Cool, I have a 50th Anniversary DSL1 too, original tubes together with a 1x12 V30, I like it, home playing in an apartment with a tube is a challenge, exactly like you are saying it has great (warm) clean and crunch, very versatile amp. A real heavy metal chugga - chugga sound is a challange and more difficult though. ;-)

Which pedal is your favorit for metal tone, VH4 or Uberschall?

I have tried Boss MT-2, Digitech TL-2, Bogner Red. I believe all of them are good, Boss MT-2 a bit more difficult to dial in but sometimes when getting it right it sounds fat, TL-2 is easier, Bogner Red probably the best sounding one except for really heavy tunes but I sold it anyway, thought it was a bit expensive for a pedal and home usage. ;-)

Would be fun trying another one though...

Valtyr":1uhtejzs said:
I have the jvm1h which I run through a 1960a cab. Fantastic for home practice and recording, especially gain and crunch tones. The only downside is that you might need something else if you want to play clean with some volume. I figure the dsl is similar in that regard, but you can crank that clean an get a decent crunch at low volume.

Actually, the DSL1H 50th Anniversary have pretty good headroom for the classic gain (clean) channel. I'm also pretty sure that the DSL have the best clean channel for all 50th Anniversary 1 watt amps. The deep switch also helps a lot for getting a warm great tone at lower volumes.

I assume it's pretty easy to increase power with a power amplifier, something like the Electro Harmonic 44? (Perhaps an easy way making it gig worthy)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -amplifier

It's really confusing now with the new Vietnam built DSL1 and the old 50th Anniversary, confusing for people looking for information and sound examples mixing these too and the difference is large.

Believe the 50th Anniversary have a 3+2 tube configuration and the new Vietnam built DSL1 a 2+1 tube configuration, that's one really big difference right there. Also Marshall did a huge mistake not including a gain control for the classic gain channel on the new DSL1, I don't get this, at all, the clean on the Vietnam DSL1 being bright.

Back