PRS Custom 24 with Floyd Rose. opinions?

mooncobra

I am looking at a Custom 24 with Floyd Rose. It also has those PRS metal pickups, anyone play these, what are they like? What is your guys experience with these? I really love ebony fretboards, and love the Floyd rose. I never actually use the Floyd rose to manipulate sound, but I love that it just stays in tune.

My cu24 floyd is a pretty stable guitar. I dont really use the trem at all and dont need to lock the nuts since its got the locking tuners. no experience with the metal pickups. All my guitars get Motor City unpotted Detroiters.

I have one, by far my favorite PRS and I’ve had quite a few. The unfinished neck is really nice and I like the Metal pickups and in fact have them in my Tremonti model as well. If you’re not a Floyd guy not sure why you’d mess with it though. I love my Floyds but they can complicate things.

so they have a 10 fretboard radius like the other custom 24's? I could have sworn I saw somewhere they had a bit bigger radius?

mooncobra":2jcesesd said:
so they have a 10 fretboard radius like the other custom 24's? I could have sworn I saw somewhere they had a bit bigger radius?

The Custom 24 Floyd has a pattern thin neck, the other Custom has the pattern regular or pattern thin. This is on the current models. So there could be a difference in radius.

The Custom 24 Floyd is an amazing guitar with high build quality. I like their pickups too, wouldn't change it.

It's a 10" radius. The Holcomb has a 20" radius and the Tremonti has a 12" radius but I think all other core guitars are 10" except for maybe some other signatures. The original run came with a flame maple satin neck, but the newer ones have a plain Maple gloss I believe.

Love my 2014 PRS CU 24 Floyd!

I've had several PRS guitars in the past that didn't quite do it for me. They looked, felt and played great, but they just sounded a little uninspiring to me. Pretty sure a lot of that had to do with the pickups. I've never been a huge fan. So I got out of the PRS ring a long time ago and stayed out until last year, when I picked up my Floyd.

It's a stunning guitar in every respect. I'm not a modern metal player per-se, I'm more into Rush, VH, Maiden, etc., but I really bonded with the \m/ pickups. They're actually some of my favorite pickups in recent memory. They have a nice, even tonality, not too scooped, not too much quack in any particular mid frequency, but still have a lot of character. Not sterile at all. They have that "hot but clear" thing going for them, sort of like the MM Axis pickups, but maybe a slightly more modern take. I'll definitely be putting them in a few of my other guitars.

Iv had one of these. Amazing guitars. Maple neck, ebony board, jumbo frets,etc. Super classy floyd guitars and amazing playability. The metal pickups I thought sounded great too. Definitely cover more ground than just heavy. Wish I never sold mine fwiw.

I’ve been wanting one for awhile but I would only like the first year. The flame maple satin neck and ebony board seemed perfect for the guitar. Now the necks are painted. I think you need to get a 2014 otherwise it changed. I also thought it was a 12” radius but you guys would know better

Candiria":3uwys0t5 said:
It's a 10" radius. The Holcomb has a 20" radius and the Tremonti has a 12" radius but I think all other core guitars are 10" except for maybe some other signatures. The original run came with a flame maple satin neck, but the newer ones have a plain Maple gloss I believe.

Tremonti is a 10" radius

Make sure that it has the 59/09 pickups, I think they sound amazing in my opinion I have a 2013 PRS Custom 24, but with the regular tremolo and it's my best sounding guitar. But I've been having problems with the neck. When I get it setup by my guitar tech who's really good and has been taking care of all my guitars for almost 20 years, within a month I have to raise the action because it starts buzzing. I can't bend the high E string because it starts choking! It's frustrating!

Attachments

• 2013 PRS.jpg
    2013 PRS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,466
Absolutely gorgeous and beautiful playing guitars. I have two of them. They are on the for sale block for me though as I would like to move down to only 4 guitars and I am moving away from the double locking floyds. Both of mine have the flame maple necks with ebony fretboards.

andross182":cgfqz7l5 said:
Candiria":cgfqz7l5 said:

Tremonti is a 10" radius

Yeah you're right I was thinking of Santana.

PBGas":xeecdbrg said:
Absolutely gorgeous and beautiful playing guitars. I have two of them. They are on the for sale block for me though as I would like to move down to only 4 guitars and I am moving away from the double locking floyds. Both of mine have the flame maple necks with ebony fretboards.

I am too. I think even though Floyd Rose works great, they are tone suckers. My latest guitar build has a regular tremolo with locking tuners and a TUSQ nut which works quite well.My next guitar will have a stop tailpiece.

eljodon":34syqux4 said:
PBGas":34syqux4 said:

I am too. I think even though Floyd Rose works great, they are tone suckers. My latest guitar build has a regular tremolo with locking tuners and a TUSQ nut which works quite well.My next guitar will have a stop tailpiece.

All my guitars have Floyds ,no tone suck there. You must be doing something wrong

Back