Gibson gothic explorer II

don't know anything about that one, but I had an sg gothic. it was one of my all time favorites. it ripped and played like butter.....

exo-metal":xlihpqtt said:
Pros and cons fellas, please elaborate in detail. I may have found one on the cheap.
That's the one that comes with EMG's right? I would figure that would be the pro or con pending on your preference. I think that one also has the bigger neck which is what I like. Do it! :thumbsup:

JackBootedThug":xlihpqtt said:
don't know anything about that one, but I had an sg gothic. it was one of my all time favorites. it ripped and played like butter.....

I got a SG gothic thats very road torn and beat up, its my leave out daily beater. Great guitar!

I wasn't sure if the EMGs were installed later or not. I was hoping the neck was maple so I could thin out the profile.

Did u post just to tell everyone what u have, we know about those. This is about the gothic explorer II if u have anything specific to those. Sorry I didn't get into how awesome your guitar is and how badass you are for owning one :thumbsdown:

Not sure about the II series, but I did have 2 Gothic Vs last year. They were fairly different. One had a thicker, 59 sort of neck, and the other had the 60s slim taper neck. The 60s one felt way better to me. Apparently they made the thicker necks in the earlier ones. Don't remember what the year was that they changed it. They both came with 500T in the bridge. If its anything similar to the later one that I had, it will be a great guitar! The finish on them is VERY fragile, though, and those guitars dented really easily.

exo-metal":1ztgbrqs said:
Did u post just to tell everyone what u have, we know about those. This is about the gothic explorer II if u have anything specific to those. Sorry I didn't get into how awesome your guitar is and how badass you are for owning one :thumbsdown:

Sorry I was in a rush lol I have tried just about every Gibson explorer out there and I just can't deal with the neck profile. Also they don't feel comfortable for me. However the gothic ii is built better than the original I'm still not a fan of Gibson explorers

rbasaria":f5eu4xri said:
Not sure about the II series, but I did have 2 Gothic Vs last year. They were fairly different. One had a thicker, 59 sort of neck, and the other had the 60s slim taper neck. The 60s one felt way better to me. Apparently they made the thicker necks in the earlier ones. Don't remember what the year was that they changed it. They both came with 500T in the bridge. If its anything similar to the later one that I had, it will be a great guitar! The finish on them is VERY fragile, though, and those guitars dented really easily.
I agree 100% about the finish, very fragile and it shows wear and tear very quickly. The finish where your arm would rest wore down very quickly and the back of the neck finish quickly turned to almost a gloss finish.

I’ve found that for the gothic series the sound isn’t very consistent between guitars, I had two gothic explorers and they sounded completely different through the exact same set up. One was very beefy and fat sounding (in a good way) and the other was so thin sounding that I thought the pickups were broken. They’re definitely a “try before you buy” guitar in my opinion. I’m sure some will disagree.

-the original, first run GOTHICS---{2000·2002}--- kick ass!! they have become the GOTHIC MORTE,... a "budget line"' I am always looking for a first run GOTHIC or MENACE to fall through the cracks on the cheap,...
Never seen it happen yet.. I have had a bunch of GOTHIC's mostly LP's & SG's, at one point I had the entire line up... I still have a 2000 SG GOTHIC I I orderd & bought before there --{§μpposedly very limited, one time, to celebrate the end of the world year 2000}- that will never leave me, its that good..

-the thin flat black finish is supposed wear off quickly for a "distressed-appearance"

GEII Specs:
Body: Mahogany
Neck/Profile: Mahogany/1959 Rounded Les Paul
Fingerboard/Inlay: Ebony/Side markers
Scale/Nut Width: 24-3/4 inches / 1-11/16 inches
Bridge/Tailpiece: Tune-o-matic/Stop bar
Hardware: Black chrome; graphite nut; Grover kidney tuners
Pickups: EMG 81/85 humbuckers
Controls: Two volume, one tone, three-way switch
Strings: Brite Wires .009-.042
Finish: Satin Black

exo-metal":2byt4xao said:
Thx for the info Jerod :D

No problemo dude! I have a '99 Gothic Explorer. I bought it new back in '99 and I played this piss out of that guitar. So much so it needs a fret-job.

I love it and it'll go to my kids... who don't play music... and they'll sell it... blah blah blah. LOL!!!

Anyway, get one. They're great guitars regardless the finish wearing as it does. Guitars are made to be played, not looked at!

exo-metal":22m4b7i0 said:
Re-shaping the neck now seems like a dilemma. Thx for the info Jerod :D

Why would mahogany be such a trial to reshape than maple? I've worked with both and unless there is a difference in the truss rod tunnel cut there is enough wood totaje a couple mm off. Obviously you can't make a wizard profile, but thinish is doable.

sg guy":34175cg0 said:
I am always looking for a first run GOTHIC or MENACE to fall through the cracks on the cheap,...
Don't mean to derail the thread but are the Menace models pretty good or rare even? I see a Menace Les Paul locally for sale around $700 with
OHSC. I thought it was some kind of fake chibson at first then later learned about the Menace models. It looks weird with all the grooves and stuff, and the Gibson logo with the heart/spider web looks cheesy... But I kinda dig cheesy lol :LOL: :LOL:

Panzer917-30":2mra7igq said:
exo-metal":2mra7igq said:

Why would mahogany be such a trial to reshape than maple? I've worked with both and unless there is a difference in the truss rod tunnel cut there is enough wood totaje a couple mm off. Obviously you can't make a wizard profile, but thinish is doable.
It's about stability. I can't remove as much mahogany vs maple, am I the only one who thinks like this :loco:

dooredge":2zi3jwzu said:
exo-metal":2zi3jwzu said:
Thx for the info Jerod :D

Anyway, get one. They're great guitars regardless the finish wearing as it does. Guitars are made to be played, not looked at!

I agree. Never cared about the thin finish on mine. Thing looked badass, played real nice, and sounded great. I gave it to Orlando, who is loving it, as well.

exo-metal":22o8ti7c said:
It's about stability. I can't remove as much mahogany vs maple, am I the only one who thinks like this :loco:

I didn't think of the wood differences at all,but you're absolutely correct.

(Edit) I would have totally ruined a guitar before realizing this. Mental logging it now. Thanks!

exo-metal":3u8svbo0 said:
Panzer917-30":3u8svbo0 said:
exo-metal":3u8svbo0 said:

I dunno...I think you would still be OK, depending on how thin you are trying to make the neck. Of the 2 I had, one was significantly thinner than the other, and both were mahogany. I didn't notice any stability issues between the 2.

Back