Killer, as usual. What tones!!!

Loving these mods. Thanks for the sweet tone!!
Sounds like what I "think" a Marshall should sound like :rock:

Great tones as always Michael. :rock:
Power supply filtering is often overlooked when modding amps, but you can achieve a lot by messing with the values.
It's THE best way to get the re-issue Marshalls sounding and feeling like the old amps.
For my money, the Mojo is in the screens.. :yes:

Sounds great Mike. What differences are there with the changed EC values? Bumping the mains gives a stiffer feel but lowering the screens softens it up some? Curious what you hear.
I'm also curious why you keep the snubbers in? I was told long ago they are not needed, which is why Marshall stopped using them. Since then I always remove them and the AC lead in line. I think they smooth out any spikes that could be left in your secondary. What is the value of this compared to the risk if one shorts and losing your Power Transformer? Should I be keeping them in?

GtarLover":95w6teac said:
Killer, as usual. What tones!!!

Loving these mods. Thanks for the sweet tone!!
Sounds like what I "think" a Marshall should sound like :rock:

Ahh, you're very kind, thank you for checking out my sound clip. :thumbsup:

fusedbrain":3vv02a74 said:
Great tones as always Michael. :rock:
Power supply filtering is often overlooked when modding amps, but you can achieve a lot by messing with the values.
It's THE best way to get the re-issue Marshalls sounding and feeling like the old amps.
For my money, the Mojo is in the screens.. :yes:

Thank you!!

It really give the Super Leads a great feel and crunchy sag in the low-end.
You're right, it's great to preform on Marshall reissue's. :thumbsup:

glip22":e19r7d87 said:
Sounds great Mike. What differences are there with the changed EC values? Bumping the mains gives a stiffer feel but lowering the screens softens it up some? Curious what you hear.
I'm also curious why you keep the snubbers in? I was told long ago they are not needed, which is why Marshall stopped using them. Since then I always remove them and the AC lead in line. I think they smooth out any spikes that could be left in your secondary. What is the value of this compared to the risk if one shorts and losing your Power Transformer? Should I be keeping them in?

Thank you!!
I find the 100uF main's open the headroom up and a touch of crunch.
& all the 32uF's give the amp that Plexi sag and feel which you can't get with having all 50uF filtering.
The snubbers (0.22uF) caps that appeared (briefly) in some Marshall amps circa 1970, are to combat any kind of spike or inductive kick when switching DC......As with a Stand By Switch.
It really is best not to use them but in my case I'm keeping me eyes on my snubbers for now.
If one of those caps gets leaky, there's a good chance it will take the PT out with it.

Sounds really good Mike!

You can definitely hear the softer/sweeter tone vs a typical early 70s metalface. Very nice.

Racerxrated":aahu56z0 said:
Sounds really good Mike!

You can definitely hear the softer/sweeter tone vs a typical early 70s metalface. Very nice.

Thank you my friend. :thumbsup:

It's really does make a difference, specially the way the amp feels and responds to your playing.
It feels like I'm playing through a '68 Plexi with that crunchy sag on the low-end.

Don't let Michael fool you, HE'S A MONSTER player as well!!
That certainly has something to do with the tones he gets :rock:

Modest, and awesome! Still...great sounding amp my friend.

GtarLover":i15yoapx said:
Don't let Michael fool you, HE'S A MONSTER player as well!!
That certainly has something to do with the tones he gets :rock:

Modest, and awesome! Still...great sounding amp my friend.

Ahh, you're way too kind my friend.
I'm just an old hack, it's all "smoke & mirrors" ;)

Back