Effects for Soldano SLO-100

jimistheman

Hey Guys--I know this has been beat to death, but I wondered if some of you could provide a couple of different effect options for the SLO-100 based on its effects loop. I am only looking for simply delay and reverb--nothing extravagant at all. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jimistheman":2nipjec0 said:
Hey Guys--I know this has been beat to death, but I wondered if some of you could provide a couple of different effect options for the SLO-100 based on its effects loop. I am only looking for simply delay and reverb--nothing extravagant at all. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Of the guys I know that gig with them, the best results have come from using an FX8. But, with the last SLO I had recently I had good results with an Intellifex on top of the head using very short TSR cables, which minimized tone suck. Sounded better unplugged but not the drastic difference you hear with pedals. Really, any rack quality unit using the shortest cables possible is your best choice over any pedal.

Racerxrated":lye04z7s said:
jimistheman":lye04z7s said:

Of the guys I know that gig with them, the best results have come from using an FX8. But, with the last SLO I had recently I had good results with an Intellifex on top of the head using very short TSR cables, which minimized tone suck. Sounded better unplugged but not the drastic difference you hear with pedals. Really, any rack quality unit using the shortest cables possible is your best choice over any pedal.

Thanks--that helps tremendously. Any other current rack units you might recommend?

Thanks again!!!

I actually think the Rocktron Replifex family (which also includes the Multivalve and the Expression) might be the best bet for that loop. They take line level signals and - equally importantly - have high enough input impedance to accomodate that funky hi-Z send of the SLO, and they also have an analog dry-thru if you leave the HUSH off. The sounds are pretty good too.

Dave L":2yyierj4 said:
I actually think the Rocktron Replifex family (which also includes the Multivalve and the Expression) might be the best bet for that loop. They take line level signals and - equally importantly - have high enough input impedance to accomodate that funky hi-Z send of the SLO, and they also have an analog dry-thru if you leave the HUSH off. The sounds are pretty good too.

Awesome! More great information!

I've been keeping an eye open for a used Radial EXTC-SA to use with my SLO. It takes a line level signal, knocks it down to pedal level with it's pedal loop (it actually has two switchable pedal loops), and then boosts the signal back up to line level for the return trip to the amp. It wasn't originally designed to be used like this; more for the studio world. But the specs match up on paper for amps with line level loops like the SLO. If I ever find one cheap and try it, I'll probably start a thread about it.

BackCrack":21prnpcw said:
I've been keeping an eye open for a used Radial EXTC-SA to use with my SLO. It takes a line level signal, knocks it down to pedal level with it's pedal loop (it actually has two switchable pedal loops), and then boosts the signal back up to line level for the return trip to the amp. It wasn't originally designed to be used like this; more for the studio world. But the specs match up on paper for amps with line level loops like the SLO. If I ever find one cheap and try it, I'll probably start a thread about it.

Cool--I am checking that out now.

The thing to remember is to try and find an effects unit that has an analog dry signal path so you'll get no tone suck. Especially if the loop your using has tone suck by itself. Quite a few digital units are transparent, but not all. Make sure you do your research before hand.

phil b":69zebxfr said:
The thing to remember is to try and find an effects unit that has an analog dry signal path so you'll get no tone suck. Especially if the loop your using has tone suck by itself. Quite a few digital units are transparent, but not all. Make sure you do your research before hand.

Great advice--point taken. Thanks again!

BackCrack":2nrmupl6 said:

I went ahead and ordered the Radial. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

I use the fx8 with my SLO and like it. I usually have my loop bypassed but when they use it, that’s been the best unit I’ve tried

I was thinking about using the Boss MS-3 with my SLO. It seems like the perfect all in one box. It has 3 external loops (for my SD-1 and EP Booster) as well as some great sounding built in effects. You can also change the amps channels. I need to look into if it’s line level though.

**edit: nope, won’t work because it’s instrument level.

phil b":1oj40z4l said:
I think this is why the Rocktron units work well? Really a minimal amount of tonal change with the intellifex. And they are very cheap...1-200 bucks usually.

Back