• Rotosounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
Great intel here...

Anyone ever dig deep to know which ones out there are round-core versus hex-core?? I found that an interesting rabbit hole.

Well, thus far - I'm still going through the ERG and 7 stringers, but it's D'Adds and GHS Boomers on my Lesters. D'Adds are hex core and stronger due to their core shape (less prone to breakage and unwinding), the GHS Boomers are still round core and therefore have more metal-to-nickel-to core contact and a distinctly different feel and tone.

I didn't realize this until recently. Fucking rabbit-holes eh??

Anyway - GHS Boomers "True Mediums" are growing on me, although I still don't understand what's growing on them :confused:
The D'Addarios XL 11-49s just feel great, sound great and are consistent from pack to pack; gauge to gauge when moving different strings on and off the necks for testing they're all "good" feeling and sounding.

The Slinkys - which I'll admit have just been my default string for way too long - are slowly showing their weaknesses against the others. I was hoping for more from the Dunlops; they feel like EBs. As for the DRs, nothing struck me as "wow" for the slightly upscale positioning and pricing.

I'll keep trucking.
Thanks again for your input here :thumbsup:

EB Cobalt Hybrid Slinky's. They sound great, seem to last forever and have a slightly broken in feel to them fresh out the package.

I settled on GHS Boomers years ago, followed by Ernie Ball Super Slinky 09-42 strings. D'Addario strings always seem to break down at the tailpiece on all of my Gibson style guitars. Can't tell you why, they just do, whereas the EB and GHS don't.

I'm not a wild enough player to really stress strings much, so the failures of the D strings baffles me. YMMV.

Scumback Speakers":3ucc72t8 said:
I settled on GHS Boomers years ago, followed by Ernie Ball Super Slinky 09-42 strings. D'Addario strings always seem to break down at the tailpiece on all of my Gibson style guitars. Can't tell you why, they just do, whereas the EB and GHS don't.

I'm not a wild enough player to really stress strings much, so the failures of the D strings baffles me. YMMV.

Have you tried NYXL's? They are fantastic strings. I am a heavy-handed player and tend to knock my tuning all wonky, break the wound strings toward the bridge/tail-piece, etc. but the NYXL's stand up to it and stay in tune. I have found myself moving down to 9's as a result, which I never thought possible. I had previously been happy with Boomers 10-52, and I still think I slightly prefer their tone when they're in their sweet-spot.

Went from Ernie Ball hybrid to Elixir in the same gauge... Love the Elixirs but just recently tried a set of Stringjoy in a custom gauge 8-11-14-22w-32-46 put them on my Charvel and they initially sound and feel as good as the Elixir ... As long as they have the longjivity I'll be getting more from Strinjoy check them out they offer any custom gauge you can think of!

Thomastik Infeld. They’re a little more expensive, but I find them to retain a lively sound for months and they are simply the best sounding strings I’ve used.

Dogal strings. I mainly use Daddas, cause they're cheap and sound morethan fine, but Dogal strings are a league on their own imho. Very long lasting and VERY easy to do bends with.

I've used DR 11's forever, and EB's before that. I however recently tried D'addario EXL115 11-49 on one of my guitars, I like them so far I think.

I have had nyxl strings on my suhr modern pro antique since i got it. I love the strings. Have a great tension and stay in tune really great especially on trem guitars. They are also loud and bright which i like. I tried a pair of earnie ball 10-46 on the guitar and i really did not like the sound or the feel of the strings. They are easier to bend but sound lifeless.

Just bought some of the Long & McQuade brand 10-52 strings to try again. The strings themselves don't look too special and from what I remember being told they are Dean Markley(?) The package says they have a Swedish steel core? Whatever...at $4.20 Cdn I'll give them a go...

Sardocasm":3m5spstd said:
Thomastik Infeld. They’re a little more expensive, but I find them to retain a lively sound for months and they are simply the best sounding strings I’ve used.
Just curious... specifically, which set are you using?

I use Thomastik Infeld on all my acoustics, and I absolutely love them!! Great tone, very full sounding with a lot of harmonics, very musical, and (this is big for me) much less finger noise. They feel great, too, stay in tune well, and last a long time.

I also use their flatwounds on an Epi Emperor and Fender Jag with equally good results. However, I haven't found a set of roundwounds for my electrics that I'm happy with.

I will say that the "wow" factor on these is worth the price of admission for me. Anyone else's MMV, of course.

tripstan":2onw7s1n said:
Gibson vintage reissues on my Lester’s.
NYXL on everything else, they’re even tension strings are the shit. I like Rotosounds for a bit. If I’m looking for a treated or coated strings I go with Cleartone.

How about you not buy another pack of strings of any kind until you pay your debts to forum members that you owe......you deadbeat motherfucker.

EDIT: Just read your bullshit response of you being a "victim".....of course you have no explaination for not answering the guy's emails/texts/PMs. Just a bunch of excuses....funny how fast you were able to pay once the word got out about you....deadbeat.

Blackbird":2fj3i4hr said:
tripstan":2fj3i4hr said:
Gibson vintage reissues on my Lester’s.
NYXL on everything else, they’re even tension strings are the shit. I like Rotosounds for a bit. If I’m looking for a treated or coated strings I go with Cleartone.

How about you not buy another pack of strings of any kind until you pay your debts to forum members that you owe......you deadbeat motherfucker.

EDIT: Just read your bullshit response of you being a "victim".....of course you have no explaination for not answering the guy's emails/texts/PMs. Just a bunch of excuses....funny how fast you were able to pay once the word got out about you....deadbeat.
:confused:

Daaaaayuuuuummmm.... Sorry for the drama cats. Sort it out??

GHS Boomers for the feel (round-core, round-wound)
D'Adds for [decent] feel and tone overall.

There it is - EB has been kicked to the curb. 9 guitars, several brands, gauges, amps, tunings. The aforementioned 2 are TopPicks.

/end of poll

D'addario EXL115's.

I've tried a few Ernie Balls, wasnt my thing. I used GHS for a very long time but once I tried the EXL115 I never looked back. They feel amazing and sound just fine to me.

I do miss the wound 3rd and will be trying the NYXL soon.

D'addario on PRS. With PRS the brightness of D'addario seems to complement them, whereas Ernie Ball sound so dull I keep looking at my tone knob to make sure it didn't somehow get rolled off..

Ernie Ball on my Les Paul. With this guitar the duller sound of EBs seem to help tame it's top end and make it sound thicker. D'addario's sound thin and plinky on it.

I used to really dig GHS Nickel Rockers on my Les Pauls, but then I moved and couldn't find them so I switched to Gibson Vintage strings and really dug those two. For some reason (boredom?) I switched back to NPS a few years ago and settled on EB.

EB Cobalts were cool. I like the sound, I just prefer the sound of NPS better.

NYXLs I tried to like but I found them too bright. They had an irritating high end I just couldn't get into.

I played Ernie Ball 10/46’s for quite a while then went to various brands using heavier gauges...and finally settled in with DR Black Beauties. 11/50’s for standard tuning. Been using them for 15 years or so.

I don’t see many people using the Black Beauties, but I love them.

Their tone is “settled in” right after I put them on and stretch. I’ve found most other strings to have a brighter tone initially and eventually settle in to a bit warmer tone. With the Black Beauties give me that tone right from the pack.....and they last a good while.

Back