Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

Ventura

Here we go....
Whaddya use and why? What have you used and don't anymore and why? What's your No.2 preference if the No.1 option isn't available and why? Gauge and scale or guitar?

FWIW, I've just done a massive tech-out on 11 electrics, couple acoustics, and some electro-acoustic full clean/conditioning/set-up/dress/etc. During the process, I'd employed D'Addario, Ernie Balls, GHS, DR, etc. and have come to some interesting conclusions. Several guitars could be considered "identical" set ups (as in, the exact same model, exact woods, etc - I have several duplicates), as well as just simpler parameters such as "same scale length, fret-wood & frets but different feel and zing with different strings". This isn't only about tone although it does play a role partially - it's more about feel.

Really appreciate your input here - as my recent tech-geekout has resulted in some pretty interesting observations.

Peace,
Mo :2thumbsup: :rawk:

Thanks Folks - keep it going - even if it's just a tick off on the poll.....

Keen to know the majority of use out there.

Peace!!

Creature of habit, D'Addario XLs since forever. Used to have shoeboxes full of packaging so I could get the D'Addario schwag. Ended up with a few shaker glasses and guitar straps and never redeemed the rest. :doh:

Just went back to DR Hi Beams/Nickel Lo Riders last year after 9 years with Elixir Nanos.

I originally started out testing different gauges on my S8 just to see what was what, and in buying, found it was cheaper to pick up some D'Addario singles to experiment with. When I compared the treble strings between D'Addario and Elixir, I noticed that the Elixirs sounded "plinkier". I decided to give other brands a shot. Before I played Elixirs, I played DRs for at least 5 years. Upon testing, the DR Hi Beams immediately jumped out at me with their tone and feel.

Long story short, I switched back and bought some of the Nickel Lo Rider bass strings for my 7th and 8th strings as they seem to be closest to the guitar Hi Beam construction and tone. My comparison on my guitar, a 27" scale length bolt on, showed the DRs being less plinky on the unwound strings and very bright and cutting, but not thin overall. They feel good too. I actually liked the tone and feel so much that I went back to 10-46 with a 60 and 75 or 80 added on. I was playing 11s or hybrid 11/10 sets before. I like tension, but on the longer scale, 11s were really pushing it.

Second was Dunlop Super Brights. I also liked the NYXL and regular XLs too. Reconfirmed my dislike for Ernie Ball.

Dunlop for guitars of all tunings... seriously here is why. They do everything in house and they're great strings. My friend worked for a major band and was sent Dunlop strings when they first came out and he was impressed enough to switch from a brand he was using for over 10+ years.

For bass I use nothing but Ernie Ball, Hybrid slinkies.

Gibson vintage reissues on my Lester’s.
NYXL on everything else, they’re even tension strings are the shit. I like Rotosounds for a bit. If I’m looking for a treated or coated strings I go with Cleartone.

D'Addario For the past few years since they offer balanced tension sets and come in sealed bags (longer shelf life).

XLs are cheap and readily available, but I find they do not last particularly long for me.

Tried NYXLs about a year ago for the first time. I love them - but they're $12 a set!

Sorry, can't pick just one.

I find different guitars of mine sound/play better with certain brands. Typically an EB and D'Addario trade off...

I do not like GHS, Dean Markley or DR though...

I used GHS Bomers for years because they lasted a few gigs but after two fret jobs I decided to switch to Ernie Ball pure nickles in the interest of fret preservation. I made the switch 3 years ago and it has made a difference.

billboogie":3sjb2q8c said:
I used GHS Bomers for years because they lasted a few gigs but after two fret jobs I decided to switch to Ernie Ball pure nickles in the interest of fret preservation. I made the switch 3 years ago and it has made a difference.
What kinda difference are you noticing - Longevity? Tone? Tensility/Tension?

Thanks for elucidating man...

To everyone else - appreciate the poll ticks - definitely appreciate the commentary - finding this very interesting.

FWIW, I don't know if anyone else have ever experienced this, but I picked up a couple packs of GHS Boomers (used to use them years ago and wanted to try them out again), and had no preconceived notions going in, other than that they're damn good strings. I know there are a few cats here that have mentioned "body chemistry/finger oil issues with strings", I've never had this problem. But since installing a couple sets on different axes, they've all done the same thing in the last 2 weeks...they feel gummy and sticky and almost as though there's grime on them. They sound "okay", but they bend kinda chunky like, not smooth and slinky feeling. I want to like them - but maybe(?) my fingers or something just don't interact with them at the chemistry level. They've grown grey and tarnished looking and feeling very quickly - none of the other brands I've used have done this yet, or at least as fast. They feel super hard under my fingers...all guitars. Weird.

Anyway - keep 'em coming Folks!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Mo

Been using D'Addarios since I was a kid, but I don't really care. I know I don't like the modern new technology stuff by Ernie Ball, but I generally can't tell the difference from brand to brand.

billboogie":1ccnvuew said:
I made the same switch about 15 years ago for the same reason. After switching to pure nickel, I've had almost no fret wear, at least comparatively. I'll use EBs in a pinch, Gibson LP Signatures sometimes, but greatly prefer Pyramid Maximum Performance. They're really hard to find consistently, though, and not exactly inexpensive, either.

http://pyramidstrings.com/st-guitar1.html

In general, I've found nickel strings are...
* Not as bright; (Nothing I haven't been able to dial out by turning up the treble a notch or two, though.)
* Not as fast (slower attack); (Nothing I can't live without by changing the pick I'm using. Pick material makes a *world* of difference.)
* Wear more evenly;
* Last longer; (Depends on the brand. In my use, Pyramids last 3x longer than EBs, Gibsons 2x longer than EBs.)
* Feel much more, well, "slinky" is a pretty good word for it. For me, the feel is THE most drastic improvement.

I've gotten great tuning stability out of both the Pyramids and the Gibsons. Sometimes, I think I prefer the Gibsons on my Floyd-equipped guitars, but both do at least as well as any stainless steel or nickel-coated strings I've ever tried.

As an aside, something else kind of weird I've noticed... and this has nothing to do with brand or type of string. On my Floyd and hard-tail guitars, I prefer 9-46s. 42s just feel too light. However, on my vintage trem guitars, it's the opposite. 42s feel perfect and 46s feel too stiff. Took my awhile to figure out what the difference was... I thought for the longest time that it had to do with scale length and the differences between trem springs and blocks, etc. Finally took the time to do a real comparison, and it's really just the bridge type. I know this is all personal preference, and I'm likely the only one this matters to... I just thought it was a little weird and surprising. Anyway...

I ticked Ernie ball, but recently switched to d'addario as EB don't seem to have the gauge I like (11-56), for the tuning I'm in now. I just tried a set of the nyxl, but they're too pingy(?) for me. Had to put a piece of foam behind the nut to stop the ringing. Been using the xl's for a couple months tho and they sound clear and balanced.

mchn13":1mhq2kj3 said:
I ticked Ernie ball, but recently switched to d'addario as EB don't seem to have the gauge I like (11-56), for the tuning I'm in now. I just tried a set of the nyxl, but they're too pingy(?) for me. Had to put a piece of foam behind the nut to stop the ringing. Been using the xl's for a couple months tho and they sound clear and balanced.
Aren't "Beefy Slinkys" 11-54?? Pretty close.

Anyway, 11-56 is a thick set, I can dig. What axe(s) are you loading these boat-ropes on?? And what's your tuning??

Ventura":8o7xzsej said:
billboogie":8o7xzsej said:
What kinda difference are you noticing - Longevity? Tone? Tensility/Tension?

Thanks for elucidating man...

To everyone else - appreciate the poll ticks - definitely appreciate the commentary - finding this very interesting.

FWIW, I don't know if anyone else have ever experienced this, but I picked up a couple packs of GHS Boomers (used to use them years ago and wanted to try them out again), and had no preconceived notions going in, other than that they're damn good strings. I know there are a few cats here that have mentioned "body chemistry/finger oil issues with strings", I've never had this problem. But since installing a couple sets on different axes, they've all done the same thing in the last 2 weeks...they feel gummy and sticky and almost as though there's grime on them. They sound "okay", but they bend kinda chunky like, not smooth and slinky feeling. I want to like them - but maybe(?) my fingers or something just don't interact with them at the chemistry level. They've grown grey and tarnished looking and feeling very quickly - none of the other brands I've used have done this yet, or at least as fast. They feel super hard under my fingers...all guitars. Weird.

Anyway - keep 'em coming Folks!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Mo

Ventura, ChurchHill nailed it in his points. The fact that they are not as bright has worked in my favor as they seem a good match for my 50’s wired LPs.

Ventura":17fd2et7 said:
mchn13":17fd2et7 said:
Aren't "Beefy Slinkys" 11-54?? Pretty close.

Anyway, 11-56 is a thick set, I can dig. What axe(s) are you loading these boat-ropes on?? And what's your tuning??

I have wimpy hands, and tendinitis in my wrist. These are for my jackson dinky tuned to drop Bb. I did use the beefy slinkys in drop B, but too slack another step down.
Couple of jacksons by steve moore, on Flickr

Back