Phil Collen Doesn't belong at G3

8len8":13zpphr8 said:
Agreed. He’s way over-rated.
To be overrated, there has to be people loving them some Phil Collen. So...technically, he's underrated. Everyone seems to hate on him yet he continues to gig big shows. :LOL: :LOL:

Mr. Willy":13zpphr8 said:
Def Leppard lost their mojo when Steve Clarke died..
Agreed. That guy was a pop rock/metal riff machine! Nothing but hits, the kind everybody likes.

crankyrayhanky":a53tn3nc said:
8len8":a53tn3nc said:
Agreed. He’s way over-rated.
To be overrated, there has to be people loving them some Phil Collen. So...technically, he's underrated. Everyone seems to hate on him yet he continues to gig big shows. :LOL: :LOL:

Mr. Willy":a53tn3nc said:
Def Leppard lost their mojo when Steve Clarke died..
Agreed. That guy was a pop rock/metal riff machine! Nothing but hits, the kind everybody likes.
Yeah man I was gonna say the same thing. Where is anyone saying Phil is a monster player???

Phil is great in a lot of ways but obviously is no monster player and isn´t someone I would consider for G3. I haven´t heard anything from the shows, but what material is he even playing?

He's no virtuoso, he just helped write some big songs in the 80s and has been living off the credit. I get the sames vibes from Vivian Campbell sometimes...

Dare I say it?... Bring back the Yng? haha

Love old DL, I used to play all of HnD in hs. We opened up a festival back in 94 with Switch 625. Lol

That said, G3 features guys who can rip like no other, and PC is NOT in that category. Definitely not.

ghosty999":13pzgi6x said:
I get the sames vibes from Vivian Campbell sometimes...

No, Vivian is a monster player and DL diluted his brand. Hell, I would have taken the DL gig too. He's probably making exponentially more than he did in any previous gig. He doesn't get to shred like he used to, but I have no doubt he still can.

First Phil is probably better than most of the people here that just said he sucks. He was better at the blues type stuff than I thought. His "shred" picking is what makes him sound bad. He thinks using brass picks makes it sound cool. I don't agree. Yes he was overmatched during the jam at the end. But he looked like he was having fun. Most of us started playing guitar because it was fun. Anyone remember that? And who here can hang with Satch and JP? Few that's who. I honestly didn't really care for Phil's set. But I like that he is trying something different and even downsized his rig. He's stepping out of his comfort zone. Good for him!

And second he's rich as F.

Now here comes the real talk. Eric Johnson had no business on stage with Satch and Vai. He also was overmatched. But it was fun! And I strongly dislike Eric. Hate his mushy tone.

I'm gonna go practice Satch licks. Last night seeing him triggered memories of learning things I'd long forgotten about. Ice 9. Summer song. Of course Satch Boogie. I prefer Satch over JP. More my style player. JP kicked ass though! I just enjoyed Satch more.

CP5150":8iwqkios said:
First Phil is probably better than most of the people here that just said he sucks. He was better at the blues type stuff than I thought. His "shred" picking is what makes him sound bad. He thinks using brass picks makes it sound cool. I don't agree. Yes he was overmatched during the jam at the end. But he looked like he was having fun. Most of us started playing guitar because it was fun. Anyone remember that? And who here can hang with Satch and JP? Few that's who. I honestly didn't really care for Phil's set. But I like that he is trying something different and even downsized his rig. He's stepping out of his comfort zone. Good for him!

Now here comes the real talk. Eric Johnson had no business on stage with Satch and Vai. He also was overmatched. But it was fun! And I strongly dislike Eric. Hate his mushy tone.

I'm gonna go practice Satch licks. Last night seeing him triggered memories of learning things I'd long forgotten about. Ice 9. Summer song. Of course Satch Boogie. I prefer Satch over JP. More my style player. JP kicked ass though! I just enjoyed Satch more.

You had me right up until the EJ part. I strongly disagree.

CP5150":9qnbfbwk said:

I saw EJ a few years ago and he was quite good and different when he went acoustic. He has one of the best live tones I've ever heard!

I saw EJ on G3 about 20 years ago with Satch and Steve Vai. EJ quite easily hung with them, if not outplayed them. He most certainly out-toned them. I'm not a Dream Theatre fan and that's the only time I've seen JP. Dixie Dregs opened for them and I think Steve Morse easily outplayed JP. But then that was also 20 years ago.

PC should never have been on G3. Saying he's better than most people on a gear forum is not setting the bar very high. The fact that there are probably a bunch of guys on this forum that ARE better than him says more. EJ is a MONSTER player. He may not be the technician that Petrucci is but he is certainly as gifted a "player" as Satch is.

Plus, having opinions about guitar players IS fun. Might not be fun for guys who get butt-hurt by the fact that not everyone likes their guy but hey.

Lastly, for me, it's not just the technical short-comings that disqualifies PC as a G3 participant. He doesn't have the command of the theory behind it all like Satch and Petrucci clearly do. Remember, just because someone/something is popular, doesn't mean they're good.

Carry on.

I got the feeling from reading an interview with EJ around the time of the first G3 that he wasn’t digging the experience.

CP5150":2y5ob8s0 said:

EJ was nowhere near overmatched, he could outplay both satch and Vai with ease, he doesn’t have the theatrics they do, but definitely not overmatched.

boogieman1187":10f848rd said:
CP5150":10f848rd said:

EJ was nowhere near overmatched, he could outplay both satch and Vai with ease, he doesn’t have the theatrics they do, but definitely not overmatched.

Satch, maybe. Vai, no way in hell could he outplay that dude.

the rossness":2uf7pqz8 said:

Well, on EJ's worst day I'd rather listen to him than Vai and work to learn how to play what he plays over Vai. No one will ever Vai isn't a bonafide guitar hero. But his stuff just doesn't move me to want to learn it and practice. With EJ it's a never ending journey to get that tone, feel and chops.

Rick Lee":1wfp1jqj said:
the rossness":1wfp1jqj said:

Well, on EJ's worst day I'd rather listen to him than Vai and work to learn how to play what he plays over Vai. No one will ever Vai isn't a bonafide guitar hero. But his stuff just doesn't move me to want to learn it and practice. With EJ it's a never ending journey to get that tone, feel and chops.

I totally agree, and with respect to all three as I’m a huge fan, there’s no way EJ had any problem keeping up with anyone in that tour, he’s amazing.

Back