Which decade had the best guitar tones overall?

Which decade do you prefer?

• 60’s

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 70’s

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • 80’s

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • 90’s

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 00’s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10’s

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Why are the 90s listed? (Or anything beyond that, for that matter)

Aside from Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, Megadeth and a handful of others, did anybody even play the guitar in the 90s... especially mainstream pop?

I mean, aside from jackhammer sludge distortion rhythms without any real soloing, one-finger nu-metal barre chords and over delayed jingle-jangle strumming...?

lll":1xcdzk7q said:
Why are the 90s listed? (Or anything beyond that, for that matter)

Aside from Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, Megadeth and a handful of others, did anybody even play the guitar in the 90s... especially mainstream pop?

I mean, aside from jackhammer sludge distortion rhythms without any real soloing, one-finger nu-metal barre chords and over delayed jingle-jangle strumming...?

It’s on the poll because it was an actual decade of time, and not everyone shares your opinions.

There's a lot of great tones from the 90's. Just not as much memorable material compared to the 70's and 80's.
Even though I don't care for any of Metallica's 90's music I still give it up that they had a great sound. I do find most of the 90's tones I dig are before '95-'96. After that it seemed to just get thicker and fizzier. From Helmet to Testament to Offspring/ Green Day and the Black Crowes and a slew of Swedish and other European band's. White Zombie and Rob solo had a huge tone then. Lots of good sounds. The more you think back on it the more oh yeah moments pop into your head. If we're talking just tone and not music.

ive gotta say the 90's because it has the EVH harmonized tone which just sounds so thick and heavy. balance was by far my favorite tone ever and the live tone during that time was epic in my opinion. id have to say the 90's for sure

About ‘78 to about ‘93 was THE era for guitar tones, at least in my mind. There was some great tone before that, but I really consider the early 90’s to be the tail end of what was happening in the late 80’s. That said, there seemed to be more variety and individual “personality” in guitar tones of the 80’s. Lynch, Vai, Satch, EVH, hell even the Maiden guys and others like them had more of a distinctive tone. Not necessarily better, just more distinct or personal. If that makes sense.

Like others I voted the 80' but quickly realized it's mostly the players rather than the tone itself that made it great.
Recorded tone itself got better and better with technology so probably the correct answer would be "now".

The tones that I love the most come from the era that I grew up with, 80's or more specifically, 90-93. With that said, with today's technology, home recording guys get those tones and then some. The production of today is incredible.

70's and 80's for me.. everything ended in 93 for guitar...now the lineage to classic rock guitar lives under the radar

there would be no 90s without the 70s

malmsteen was poppin pimples and juggling his swedish meatballs to purple hendrix and vh, and look what that mirror kisser did to spawn a fleet of arpeggiating paga-ninnies. satch and ej were riding the guitar lovewave. then the post nirvana apocalypse rightfully destroyed the warrant/cinderella overtly tranny metal debacle, leaving a very shell-shocked cluster of reputable hard rock torch carriers in their wake. badlands and cry of love were two oasis islands from that era, flotsam in a sea of traumatized sunset strip homos fighting to keep their tears from making their mascara run.
alice and pearl and stp and garden controlled seattle sound. giant/extreme/whitesnake/lynch posted some really good clips but if you wore tight leather pants and had a hint of opera in your vocals----GONG!!!!

my vote for best tone was mike landau tales from the bulge

kunos":eb7vw4ga said:
Like others I voted the 80' but quickly realized it's mostly the players rather than the tone itself that made it great.
Recorded tone itself got better and better with technology so probably the correct answer would be "now".

Exactly this!

milkchickenbomb":3dcrmz8k said:
kunos":3dcrmz8k said:

Exactly this!

Not necessarily. I love a lot of 70's tones because of not just the players and the gear but because of what was used to record them. Amazing analog boards and outboard gear and Analog tape and engineers and producers who knew exactly how to use it. There's lot more to the great vintage tones than getting an old amp and replica pickups in your guitar. Trying to replace actual volume and old speakers, good tubes, real deal PAF/p-90 and SC pickups and then also all the original era gear in the signal chain with plugins and emulations is just not even close.

skoora":2mhw90vr said:
milkchickenbomb":2mhw90vr said:
kunos":2mhw90vr said:

Exactly this!

Not necessarily. I love a lot of 70's tones because of not just the players and the gear but because of what was used to record them. Amazing analog boards and outboard gear and Analog tape and engineers and producers who knew exactly how to use it. There's lot more to the great vintage tones than getting an old amp and replica pickups in your guitar. Trying to replace actual volume and old speakers, good tubes, real deal PAF/p-90 and SC pickups and then also all the original era gear in the signal chain with plugins and emulations is just not even close.
100% agree with all of that.

Rock Bodom":1bnl6bb4 said:
skoora":1bnl6bb4 said:
milkchickenbomb":1bnl6bb4 said:
kunos":1bnl6bb4 said:

Exactly this!

100% agree with all of that.
Exactly. Well said !

sytharnia1560":1lypz48u said:
tough one...
late 70's had VH, 80's had Ratt (which killed) and Sykes, early 90's had lynch's W Sen tone...

For me georges tone on River of love is my ultimate tone so I will say 90's for that reason
VH's tone was the best in the 80s, imo. Eddie was never better than on Fair Warning.

Dirt has possibly the best guitar tone ever recorded, so I have to vote 90s.

Back