Which decade had the best guitar tones overall?

Which decade do you prefer?

• 60’s

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 70’s

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • 80’s

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • 90’s

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 00’s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10’s

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
---<{·TONE·}---
Up until the wake of the "BROWN SOUND" Tone was never discussed, if you were good enough that people could identify you by your playing you had your own sound... "TONE" was the other knob on the AM radio in your mothers dodge...

------I'd rather have my own sound------

I'm going 70s because I think the actual tones are the best, most listenable, and plenty rock and roll.

tough one...
late 70's had VH, 80's had Ratt (which killed) and Sykes, early 90's had lynch's W Sen tone...

For me georges tone on River of love is my ultimate tone so I will say 90's for that reason

Can’t deccide. The classic rock tone of the 70s with all that warmth and bite. Classic Marshall tone in many perfect incarnations (AC/DC, Free, ...) is hard to beat. On the other hand latest 80s early 90s with the perfection of high gain (Lynch Mob, XYZ, ...). How can one choose?

70's without a doubt, and this is coming from a guy who is an 80's player all the way. I used to think some of my 80's guys had the thickest awesome hard rock tones, but once those classic hard rock tones finally "click" in your brain, it's hard to go back.

Highway to Hell and VHII are hands-down my all time favorite tones...both were 1979, so strictly speaking it's 70's for me, but barely.

Hey, I really started getting into guitar when EVH first came on the scene. I like love the rock of the 70's, but I try to be objective about the tone. Just because I like a song doesn't mean the guitar had great tone. In fact, I think tone has evolved and improved over the years. My favorite tones are in the 00's through today. I love Andy Timmons current tone better than his earlier tone. I can say the same about JP, Steve Vai and Satriani.

We're all tone chasers - right? So, I hope all of our chasing has improved upon tone. Otherwise, we have wasted a bunch of time and are stuck in the past.

It's all preference but imo, 70's.
The 80's just refined what was already there imo.

Then the 90's ruined it just like they did everything else.
Seems like the last 18 years have come back from the 90'S slaughter. lol

70's hands down.

Rock
Hard rock
Proto metal
Punk Rock
early new wave
Also the best acoustic sounds

too much good stuff

The 90's.

Ah Via Musicom, Facelift, Dirt, Awake and Alien Love Secrets were all recorded in the 90's.

Also, the ways studios were used and bands were produced changed quite a bit from the 80's to the 90's which plays a pretty major role in how we hear all that shit.

The “best” is 100% subjective. I love 80’s racked-out tones because that’s the sound that initially drew me into guitar playing. An equal favorite of mine is 70’s southern rock tones.

Least favorite by far are the 2010’s flat, non-dynamic, overly compressed, keyboard-like, ear fatigue inducing modeler metal tones.

Back