Crue ripping off early Dokken?

Kapo_Polenton

Looks like this one hit the scene a few years before Shout at the Devil was released. Super similar vibe including the bass drum pattern. Was also reading that George said he had used a rangemaster treble booster on Breaking the Chains. This def has that sound..anyone else hear it? Cuts. Big time Vince Neil scream at the end too lol... or Don Dokken who was later imitated by Vince perhaps..

Holy crap! Man that was definitely "lifted" for the riffs and overall feel. Looks that Kill still squashes it though. :)

What year did Dokkens Young Girls come out originally ? I remember hearing Young Girls in late 83 thinking that Dokken ripped off the Crue . The Crue was playing Looks That Kill in `82 , they played it when I saw them on Halloween of that year

Here`s Looks That Kill at 4:05 , 10 months before it was released on Shout At The Devil but come to find Dokkens original version of Breaking The Chains was released in 1981 , Nikki could have swiped the riff

Young Girls in `82

The Priest riff is also pretty damn close.. not as close as the other two but definitely might have served as the "inspiration" for Dokken/Lynch. I would think that Nikki very likely ripped that one but agree with others that Looks that Kill squashes Dokken's tune in every way so it was probably for the better. Nowadays doing that would come with some sort of law suit.

The KISS tune isn't in the same vein at all. You can't call ownership over an open A note and one chord. It is more the progression, bass line, and drum bass pattern which are closely linked between Crue and Dokken here. If we want to cast the net wider on just a chord then I am sure we could be here all day. :D

This is a similar situation too. I brought this one up a few years ago here on the forum. Listen to Kix at 0:22 and Cinderella at 0:52. You wonder if someone in the studio hears something and "suggests" it. :)

Back