Fedex Declared value insurance limits

stratjacket

I ran into something the other day I’ve never experienced. I just sold my Suhr Modern on here and was shipping it out, the buyer requested FedEx, so I went there to ship. When I asked for insurance, the guy behind the counter told me the maximum declared value I could set was $1,000. So in case of damage, I’d be shit out of luck. He showed me a little pamphlet he had stating this.

I have never heard that before. It’s confusing because the online system will allow you to put in larger declared value numbers and even the system they use at a FedEx location will allow higher numbers, but the guy was pretty clear that FedEx would only pay up to $1,000. He made it sound like this is a recent change.

I searched FedEx site and could only find this:
“The maximum Declared Value for Customs and Carriage is limited and may vary per location.”
In section 18 here: http://www.fedex.com/cm/shippingguide/terms/#18

I’m wondering how many people know this or have delt with it?
Also I wonder how many people are using FedEx without knowing the risk and exposure they may have? Sounds like it varys by location, so it may be different where you live.

I had this happen to me a while back oddly enough I was shipping a modern as well .
The woman was new and she pulled out the same pamphlet .The guy I usually do business with stepped up and said that only applied if it was a museum piece or something like that . He told her to run it like I ask (insured for $3000 ) and see if it would work and it did .

So Try another fedex or ask for someone who isn't new

Interesting. The system did accept the $2500 I asked for and I was ready to pay when he remembered the limit and pulled out a little pamphlet and looked it up. Then he told me about the limit. He said there were a few exceptions if it was an antique gear or something, but that was about it.

I've had cabs shipped from Mojotone to me (years ago now) that were damaged in shipping, and Fedex paid the $1400 cost for the declared value. It probably helped that I did the invoice myself and it was brand new, but that $1000 limit is arbitrary, IMO.

I do my invoices online, though, and have a 17 year history with Fedex and USPS, so that might put me in a different category since I'm a business account. You should check to make sure.

splatter":uii9r5j1 said:
I had this happen to me a while back oddly enough I was shipping a modern as well .
The woman was new and she pulled out the same pamphlet .The guy I usually do business with stepped up and said that only applied if it was a museum piece or something like that . He told her to run it like I ask (insured for $3000 ) and see if it would work and it did .

So Try another fedex or ask for someone who isn't new

Exactly what happened to me - you dont happen to live in SF Bay area do you? Lol

I may get this backward - but it something like there is a max value declaration of 1000 on musical instruments but much higher on some category like extreme high value merchandise...

When they ask what is in the box now i tell them high value merchandise :)

Always best to take your packages to the main hub. This alleviates a lot of the BS from the little franchise shops.

I shipped a guitar a few days ago from fedex and declared a value of $2000, there wasn't a problem.

Sign up for a FedEx account and print your own labels. The location limits only apply if they are generating the shipping label.

technomancer":kqbh9k2v said:
Sign up for a FedEx account and print your own labels. The location limits only apply if they are generating the shipping label.

^This. Plus you get better rates when you have an account.

FedEx Office stores (the old Kinkos) are independently owned and each has their own rules. I go to my local FedEx hub to ship everything since they have more realistic rules.

I've shipped from my local hub multiple times when I lived in NM, and they always allowed me to insure guitars and amps for values greater than $1000.

stratjacket":fd9mmcqd said:
I ran into something the other day I’ve never experienced. I just sold my Suhr Modern on here and was shipping it out, the buyer requested FedEx, so I went there to ship. When I asked for insurance, the guy behind the counter told me the maximum declared value I could set was $1,000. So in case of damage, I’d be shit out of luck. He showed me a little pamphlet he had stating this.

I have never heard that before. It’s confusing because the online system will allow you to put in larger declared value numbers and even the system they use at a FedEx location will allow higher numbers, but the guy was pretty clear that FedEx would only pay up to $1,000. He made it sound like this is a recent change.

I searched FedEx site and could only find this:
“The maximum Declared Value for Customs and Carriage is limited and may vary per location.”
In section 18 here: http://www.fedex.com/cm/shippingguide/terms/#18

I’m wondering how many people know this or have delt with it?
Also I wonder how many people are using FedEx without knowing the risk and exposure they may have? Sounds like it varys by location, so it may be different where you live.

If you consider the context of the link to the Fed Ex website you referenced, it looks like that applies to International shipments. Not Domestic. Were you shipping to somewhere outside the USA? :)

Be careful. I bought a guitar on eBay that was shipped fedex. It was a $900 guitar. Fedex has some arrangement with USPS on their deliveries. There was a mix-up somehow in shipping and the guitar sat in the cold for a week Needless to say it was cracked and neither the seller nor myself could get any resolution from FedEx or USPS because they kept passing the buck I still have yet to be reimbursed for any damages.

I'm under the impression that the $1000 limit applies to vintage / antique type gear but not stuff you can still buy new. Something to consider.

MYDEMISE":mhw18309 said:
Be careful. I bought a guitar on eBay that was shipped fedex. It was a $900 guitar. Fedex has some arrangement with USPS on their deliveries. There was a mix-up somehow in shipping and the guitar sat in the cold for a week Needless to say it was cracked and neither the seller nor myself could get any resolution from FedEx or USPS because they kept passing the buck I still have yet to be reimbursed for any damages.

FedEx offers a very low shipping option where they use the USPS to deliver the package. They ship the package to the city Post Office and the Post Office delivers it to you. A friend of mine who works at the post office told me these packages are treated as "low priority by the post office" because FedEx does not promise or guarantee delivery dates.

This a much lower cost to FedEx since they don't have to deliver the package. This is extreme popular with companies at Christmas.

This however is specified by the shipper, meaning the guy who shipped that guitar on ebay knew he was using this option because it was cheaper.

Many smaller companies and ebayers use this option, especially if they charge low or have "free shipping options"

Yeah. The seller claims he tried his best and doesn't know what to tell me. Months of going back and forth with fedex, usps and this seller ugh. If I had the time I would let hell loose on him but life is too short and my time is limited sooooooo.......

MYDEMISE":3tyccf4l said:
Yeah. The seller claims he tried his best and doesn't know what to tell me. Months of going back and forth with fedex, usps and this seller ugh. If I had the time I would let hell loose on him but life is too short and my time is limited sooooooo.......

Send it back to the seller....they are responsible for safe shipment. You shouldnt eat that unless you were the one who specified the shipping. I ship anything over 1500 bucks that is delicate and I force it to be 2 day priority (whether I am the seller or the buyer) so that you dont have this issue....yeah it costs me an extra 50 - 80 bucks in shipping, but there is RARELY a problem...this keeps it out of FedEx Ground's hands or any contract carrier....

Back