Headphones for Universal Audio Ox

TGP3

Considering getting the UA Ox for the many uses it has, including the headphone jack. Right now my main drivers for my PC are Beyerdynamic DT-990 250ohms Premium which I love, but would something like this be best suited if you were looking for an accurate sound out of that headphone port of the Ox? The way I've routed my DT-990 cables under the desk makes it impossible to just plug and unplugged them when I want to so this will require a 2nd headphone purchase.

Prior to the DT-990's I was using the Sennheiser hd598 which were absolutely revolting - worst headphones I've ever tried in my life.... The bass was lacking so bad it actually hurt to listen to some songs reasonable volume. A friend of mine bought a pair and ran into the same issue. Not to mention, every other aspect of those cans were inferior to the DT990's in every way.

Now I know my Beyerdynamic's are supposed to be the "fun" headphones with maybe a bit more bass than something that would be described as neutral, but they're the only really decent set of cans I've tried (minus the horrific Sennheisers). So ultimately I have no idea where these things stand on accuracy due to my limited experience. If there's too much inherit low end in something like the DT-990's, please feel free to suggest something else, or if another set of DT-990's is something you'd consider feel free to suggest that too. I just don't want to run into the same issue I had with the HD598's where I purchased based off the fact that it was supposed to be a "neutral" sound, when that lack of low end was anything but neutral. Also any suggestions on open back vs closed back for this kind application would also be great. Any help is much appreciated.

the OX ROX! Love mine! I just picked it up late last week and finally used it yesterday.

I use the Shure SHR840 pro headphones. They are fantastic!

I'm still hoping to hear some chunky metal riffs from Ox users. Almost everything posted is bluesy cleanish rock which is cool and all but I got to believe there must be at least one Ox guy recording metal :LOL: :LOL:

Op as for headphones a few years ago I wanted as neutral as possible mainly for mixing since I primarily record while the wife and kids sleep. After lots of research I went with the Sennheiser HD 600s and love them. I know you mentioned you had a bad time with your 598's with lack of bass. I don't know much about the 598s but is it possible whatever you were plugged into couldn't push those cans enough? I recently upgraded Roland interfaces and was surprised at how much better the HD600's sound in the new interface especially with bass response.

errrrrl":dliydido said:
I'm still hoping to hear some chunky metal riffs from Ox users.

Yes, let's bring on the brootalz. I want to hear some good ol' cab thump and resonance. The kind you get when pushing speakers hard with cranked amps and chunky palm mutes. Nice, thick, and crisp. Full bass response without being muddy, slushy, undefined, etc. I don't need lots of bells and whistles, but I'd be willing to pay good money for a silent recording box that can nail the low end response in all its glory!

metalsoup":2uz9br5a said:
errrrrl":2uz9br5a said:
I'm still hoping to hear some chunky metal riffs from Ox users.

Yes, let's bring on the brootalz. I want to hear some good ol' cab thump and resonance. The kind you get when pushing speakers hard with cranked amps and chunky palm mutes. Nice, thick, and crisp. Full bass response without being muddy, slushy, undefined, etc. I don't need lots of bells and whistles, but I'd be willing to pay good money for a silent recording box that can nail the low end response in all its glory!
Exactly! :rock:

I have the DT990 Pro 250ohm also and those are some remarkable headphones for mixing but.....I find them too detailed with the ox where the cab sims sound too crisp almost digital. Tried my 32ohm Bowers & Wilkins P7s and wow......you can almost hear the wood of the cabinet breathing. Quite amazing to say the least. They are a warmer more woody sounding headphones but yet the specs say they are a full range 10hz to 20khz. The DT990 Pros are 5hz to 35khz. We can’t hear above 20k but there’s definitely some high end detail there (sometimes unwanted) that the B&Ws don’t have.

Back