Power Conditioner

base341

Anyone have any success using some kind of power conditioner?
I think the power in my house is hit or miss as far as static goes on High gain amps.
Some days the amps are very quiet and others noisy as shit. :doh:

I feel your pain. My house was built in 1901 and at some point semi rewired by drunk monkeys. I have a monster rack power conditioner but it doesn’t help noise. I’m actually hoping somebody might respind to this with an affordable suggestion.

Honestly power conditioners are snake oil. I can say this because I have the furman 1800 PF R and the noise was still there.

Get a noise gate like the Fortin Zuul, put it in the loop and use the key input and your amp will be dead quiet.

The upside to the furman power conditioner is surge protection and a bunch of outlets, other than that waste of money.

Some static noise is caused by bad tubes.

As far as power conditioners, they do work sometimes, but there are different types. The cheap ones just filter EMI. The middle range ones hold the output to certain various voltage levels. The expensive ones hold the output to a single voltage level always.

The only way to know if one will work for you is to try it.

You may get more mileage by getting a cheap outlet tester and going through the house to see where you may have issues like no ground, reverse polarity etc. These are very, very easy fixes and will likely make more impact on cleaning up noisy lines.

I know it definitely helped in my house. Power conditioners are helpful too but IMO, they usually help more with issues stemming from amps, pedals etc.

It may even make sense to have an electrician do a health-check on your house power. Things like rebalancing your breaker box, replacing bad breakers etc. It's not expensive either. Especially if you know an electrician.

Good luck.
Dave

Back