Just one guitar...What pickups are the most versitile

GuitarGuyLP

I have had just one amp for the past year, and I am liking the simplicity of it. I have been thinking about trimming down to a single guitar too. Just my PRS Custom 24 hard tail. I love everything about that guitar except the pickups. Also if I do have only one guitar I will need some pickups that can do it all. I have been reading about the fishman fluence classic, or Kill switch engage set, and having two voices, and coil split might give me a lot of variety in sounds. I have also read that the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates sound good for just about everything as well.

Does anyone have any pickup recommendations for a wide variety of tones from a single guitar? I mostly play hard rock, and some metal, but I want a good lower output sound for playing clean, and bluesy stuff. I also find that sometimes a lower output pickup works better for me for high gain.

I've got a set of BKP Crawlers in my CU24. They're medium output, clean up well, gain up well, split well, and cover all of the ground I'd ever want. Lots of clarity and not a lot of the compression I hear from high output pups. I, too, play mostly hard rock, metal, and blues. Of the guitars I have, this one has been my go-to for a long time, especially for random jams where I don't always know what I'll be playing. The number of sounds I can get out of it is one of the main reasons why.

I mainly use my Charvel.... its loaded with a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge and a Manlius custom hot with alnico 5 magnet for the neck. I mainly play metal, but they work for lower gain stuff as well.

BKPs offer a lot of options.
Stick with passives and a coil-split, done.
Seymour Duncans are cheap and do a great job, higher grade would be MCP, Arcane, etc.
Ask the winders and let them know what you're looking for.
Also what kind of amp you're using.

I totally dig the 1 amp, 1 guitar ethos. The most inspirational guitarists in my life made the most with the least... I'm not that guy, I have too much gear, but at least I recognize this... I'd hate to just pick one amp, but if I did, it'd likely be my 20thA XTC and one of my Goldtops; but I'd hate to have to make that cut.

Dimarzio Dominions are a pretty good "do it all pup" if your into ceramic.

Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell (A5) does it all as well if you dig their articulation/lack of compression.

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like I should look into bkp a bit more. From doing some reading I am leaning towards the Fishman fluency kse set. Two humbucker modes, and single coil mode as well. That said I do like the simplicity of passives I’ll have to do ssome me more research I think.

Yeah I'm itching to try those Fishman KSE pups too. But I haven't played actives in a few years and I'm wondering if I really want to get back on that mary-go-round...
Rewiring, new pots. Batteries!!! We'll have to see.

I think BKP gets the reputation as being "djent" or at least *METAL* but they really have something great in all ranges. Their specs don't always match up with the sounds you'd expect, either. So, don't pay a lot of attention to DCR. There are a number of BKP players here, so don't hesitate to ask. They have a great forum, too, and have always been very fast to respond to email (IME).

For what you're looking for, here are a few of my favorites from the ones I've tried. Granted, they weren't all in my CU24, but all are currently in either all mahogany or mahogany/maple bodies. No particular order, except loosely sorted by output.

1. Mule (A4) - lower output, hot PAF, cleans up real well, and a lot of midrange push so it can do metal, too, and excels at hard rock.
2. Crawler (A5) - as in my previous post. These probably split the best of any others I've listed.
3. Black Dog (A5) - medium output, sounds like a PAF with slightly more lows and low-mids while retaining clear highs. Great cleans, great rock, hard rock, and pretty easy to get Zakk Wylde tones, too.
4. Cold Sweat (Ceramic) - medium output, very balanced sound. Works well in both series and parallel. Great rock sound (think Sykes) with tighter lows. Cleans aren't quite as good as the Alnico models, IMHO.
5. Holydiver (A5) - high output, their take on an 80s JB, great rock and metal sounds, split pretty well, too. Doesn't clean up quite as well with the volume pot, though.
6. Rebel Yell (A5) - high output, vintage version of the Nailbomb. Flat out screams and actually cleans up pretty well, too, for a high-output pup.

All of them have a lot of clarity and definition, and a great feel. I'd also recommend the Riff Raff or the VHII, but I don't have either.

Having said all that, I would really love to try a Suhr Aldrich at some point. Just haven't gotten to it, yet.

Back