Chinese 12AX7s, which ones and where?

bhuard75

Where are you guys getting your Chinese 12AX7 HGs from and which ones? I'm not looking for re-branded tubes.

Thanks in advance

Shuguang is another.
HG = High Gain not High Grade just FYI.
They're everywhere - and cheap - and consistent.

bhuard75":1vxsog12 said:
Where are you guys getting your Chinese 12AX7 HGs from and which ones? I'm not looking for re-branded tubes.

Thanks in advance

I have 100’s of the 8th generation 12ax7’s. They are tested on my maxi-matched testers. How many are you looking for?

rottingcorpse":7a0urnuk said:
I buy them 5 at a time when they pop up here. Always a safe buy from the guy here(can't remember his name).

I think its “snave”. I came across his sales thread.

I picked up 3 Shuguang 12AX7Bs on eBay. I had one fail instantly but the other 2 sounded awesome, they were cheap enough that it was worth taking the risk.

-HG=High GAIN!!!

-remember when you were a young guitarist and you thought it ment that they tubes made your amp into a HIGH GAIN MONSTAH!!!
Well those Chinese pre's actual produce tube distortion.. & its Bad ASS!

-I have a healthy NOS/ANOS 12ax7 tube collection.... but unless something special falls from the sky like some NOS AMPEREX ECC83's for a price I can't refuse... I don't even look anymore.

There used to be a crapton of them on AliExpress for cheaper than that. But they dried up maybe 9 months to a year ago.

I like the 9th gen chinese but most sellers do not test them before shipping. Worth a few extra $ for that service imo.

psychodave":3iicqi8w said:
FourT6and2":3iicqi8w said:
Here ya go: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Beijing ... 96779.html

Note: the Beijing 6N4-J is not the same as the Shuguang 8th or 9th gen tubes sold by Ruby as "HG" or "HG+". The Beijing tube used to come in Mesa and Marshall and maybe Bogner back in the day. They're great. I like 'em in most amps I've tried.

That price is cheap. I wouldn't sell my stock that cheap.

That's your choice :)

FourT6and2":3o8gvjcl said:
psychodave":3o8gvjcl said:
FourT6and2":3o8gvjcl said:
Here ya go: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Beijing ... 96779.html

Note: the Beijing 6N4-J is not the same as the Shuguang 8th or 9th gen tubes sold by Ruby as "HG" or "HG+". The Beijing tube used to come in Mesa and Marshall and maybe Bogner back in the day. They're great. I like 'em in most amps I've tried.

That price is cheap. I wouldn't sell my stock that cheap.

That's your choice :)

Indeed. But then again, I thoroughly test them. My old Chinese dealer tested them before shipping to me as well. Sadly, they ran out of stock sometime last year. I bought 300-400 from them. :LOL: :LOL:

I've used a few NOS ones from the 80's and 90's from the closed Beijing factory.
They have a square foil getter, not halo.
Nice sounding tubes, I buy em from dougs tubes.

CEG85":33jkbrpy said:
I've used a few NOS ones from the 80's and 90's from the closed Beijing factory.

$30 for a $9 tube. Good for Doug!

CEG85":1l048hcu said:
The 6N4s I've bought direct from China are square foil getters as well, and when I've tried them in my Marshalls they are exactly the same tone wise as my vintage 8th gen Chinese. They look identical.
I paid roughly 35 bucks shipped for 4 tubes, and now have about 30.
Now, I can't test them and don't gig anymore but they are in all of my amps and none have failed yet.

Back