Helix Native BRÜTAL Tone Test! LOL!

errrrrl":3v1v9uvl said:
@fender126 @Beyond Black Thanks for the feedback guys! Took another stab at it just now and used the new Friedman-ish amp "Placater Dirty" and cranked the highs up like you said and holy shit it sounds way better. Here is the SOD tone test 2! :rock:

Yes!! Sounds great! Damn.....now I have to go play some S.O.D.! :rawk:

errrrrl":c0q5q5px said:
@fender126 @Beyond Black Thanks for the feedback guys! Took another stab at it just now and used the new Friedman-ish amp "Placater Dirty" and cranked the highs up like you said and holy shit it sounds way better. Here is the SOD tone test 2! :rock:

Man that sounds great!

Thanks guys... it was kind of cool to go to the bedroom away from my amps/stuff with a windows tablet and a really small roland duo capture interface and just jam out in bed and record ideas... makes for a hell of a lazy day.

errrrrl":2au1l5wy said:
Thanks guys... it was kind of cool to go to the bedroom away from my amps/stuff with a windows tablet and a really small roland duo capture interface and just jam out in bed and record ideas... makes for a hell of a lazy day.
Right? I know Helix amp modeling sucks and all... :)

JerEvil":2u6xs7oo said:
errrrrl":2u6xs7oo said:
Right? I know Helix amp modeling sucks and all... :)
:LOL: :LOL: It's alright for what it is. I'll give you that ;)

But i'm still not sold on it's high gain stuff for the most part and I think I know why. In order for me to dial it in for the SOD stuff I had to use my monitors to be able to sit back and really hear the changes. Before that I was using it mainly with headphones, which trying to dial in stuff from scratch wasn't the easiest... So if you have good monitors or a FRFR setup I can see it easier to use overall. Me, I am a late night headphone guy 95% of the time.

But now that I have dialed in one tone with it, I wonder what is up with all the shitty bad sounding presets Line 6 has built in? I'll admit I went straight to the presets most of the time and the obvious metal ones were just bad lol. I'm probably going to keep using it every so often to see how far I can take it. I may even dabble into that other stuff... I think it's called clean channels :confused:

errrrrl":3fgr8ltf said:

That's the best Line 6 vst clip I've heard so far, nice work!

Have you tried the Mercurrial or Amplitube 4 plugins? I'd like to hear what you would do with the Mercurrial U530.

errrrrl":1qru7877 said:
slyym":1qru7877 said:
I actually think it is there. You have to remember that the modelers are modeling a mic'd up cab being recorded and not an amp in the room. You can get the amp in the room sound if you just run the pre into a poweramp.
The thing for me is that I just can't get that super thick palm muted sound aka jug jug aka chug chug whatever lol. Even with my suhr RL and IR's, it's not quite the same as a mic'd up cab. I think it has something to do with the air moving from the speaker/cab and what not.

@Jer if you do stumble across a good Helix native setting that gets that tone i'm looking for by all means dude would love to try it, thanks!

I've never liked Line 6's cabs but IMO the amp sims have been pretty good since the HD series came out in 2010 or so. Here is a chugga (GAB drum jam) I did a few years ago with a POD HD 300 Recto sim (preamp only) with some freebie Mesa IRs.

https://soundcloud.com/scrub-tillman/hd-300-slop-1

Back