Helix Native BRÜTAL Tone Test! LOL!

maddnotez":2mg2shkh said:
Sounds pretty brutal to me.
Thanks man! Going to redo it with better monitoring at home and Superior Drumer as well. I think Native sounds great too.

The brutality is definitely strong in this one. Man I just bought an iMac so that I can get an Apollo twin and said fuck it might as well get logic too, lol! Hopefully it aint to hard to get figured out. I think its the best looking daw.

JerEvil":27yrc04o said:
maddnotez":27yrc04o said:
Thanks man! Going to redo it with better monitoring at home and Superior Drumer as well. I think Native sounds great too.
Very cool! I guess I am getting similar tones with Native after all.

Maybe you can help me crack the code or tone rather. Are you able to get a good S.O.D - March of the SOD tone? It's the JUG JUG parts that don't sound good or thick to me in Helix, drives me nuts. Or even the palm muted parts of For whom the bell tolls aka JUG JUG JUG JUG part. If Helix can replicate that I'd be all over it.

errrrrl":kl5k9epi said:
JerEvil":kl5k9epi said:
maddnotez":kl5k9epi said:

Maybe you can help me crack the code or tone rather. Are you able to get a good S.O.D - March of the SOD tone? It's the JUG JUG parts that don't sound good or thick to me in Helix, drives me nuts. Or even the palm muted parts of For whom the bell tolls aka JUG JUG JUG JUG part. If Helix can replicate that I'd be all over it.

I've been studying the Helix inside and out of late. I'm convinced their amp modeling still sucks. Effects are great, high gain amps, still suck.

napalmdeath":1iau76zo said:
I've been studying the Helix inside and out of late. I'm convinced their amp modeling still sucks. Effects are great, high gain amps, still suck.
That's kind of how I feel about it too... the moment I can plug in and dial in my shit like I do all my high gain amps and be happy is the day I can embrace Helix... it is fun to mess with though, like you said the effects are great.

I dunno. I was able to match my BE-100 damn near perfectly with an IR. I also plugged the Helix into my return on the BE-100, using the Placater preamp model only and i couldn't tell the difference in tone when going back and forth between the actual amp and the Helix. There was a difference in dynamics, but full bore... the tone was fucking exact enough to where i was trying to control effects in the Helix and wondered why it wan't working. i was plugged into the actual amp at that point.

I realize that a BE-100 isn't really a hi-gain head compared to many though

errrrrl":g6zyiv9z said:
napalmdeath":g6zyiv9z said:
That's kind of how I feel about it too... the moment I can plug in and dial in my shit like I do all my high gain amps and be happy is the day I can embrace Helix... it is fun to mess with though, like you said the effects are great.

I'm looking pretty hard at the AX8. It seems light-years ahead of the Line6, as far as amp modeling. I only use the basic chorus, delay, reverb, with maybe phase and flange, so I don't need 100's of effects.

My problem is, I want maybe 5-6 high quality amps/cabs, and the basic effects. I'm finding either overkill, or shitty models.

I'm waiting on the Atomic Amplifire 6. But, I've contacted them both on their website and in Reverb with no replies. I've read that their Customer Service sucks.. THAT is a huge deal-breaker for me. There's only 2 reviews on their site on the AA12, and both were negatives with no responses to return the units because of issues.

napalmdeath":1qkoxp4c said:
errrrrl":1qkoxp4c said:
napalmdeath":1qkoxp4c said:

I'm looking pretty hard at the AX8. It seems light-years ahead of the Line6, as far as amp modeling. I only use the basic chorus, delay, reverb, with maybe phase and flange, so I don't need 100's of effects.

My problem is, I want maybe 5-6 high quality amps/cabs, and the basic effects. I'm finding either overkill, or shitty models.

I'm waiting on the Atomic Amplifire 6. But, I've contacted them both on their website and in Reverb with no replies. I've read that their Customer Service sucks.. THAT is a huge deal-breaker for me. There's only 2 reviews on their site on the AA12, and both were negatives with no responses to return the units because of issues.

I am not an expert on the modelers but I guess you would feel the same way even with the AX8.

IMO modelers today are amazing. But you will never get the feel and response/dynamics that you can get from a tube amp. The technology just isn't there yet.

I did own an AX8 and it was amazing. Best recorded tones I have ever had honestly but I just can't get the same tube amp feel which is important to me. Maybe with the right FRFR? idk.

napalmdeath":27aajjrz said:
errrrrl":27aajjrz said:
napalmdeath":27aajjrz said:

We will definitely have to agree to disagree here. I have owned both and I'll take the Helix any day of the week, hands down. It all comes down to the individual user though that's for sure. Like my grandfather used to say, "one mans chicken is another mans steak."

No chance in hell Atomic would get another penny from me.

maddnotez":3ui7udq9 said:
napalmdeath":3ui7udq9 said:
errrrrl":3ui7udq9 said:
napalmdeath":3ui7udq9 said:

I am not an expert on the modelers but I guess you would feel the same way even with the AX8.

IMO modelers today are amazing. But you will never get the feel and response/dynamics that you can get from a tube amp. The technology just isn't there yet.

I did own an AX8 and it was amazing. Best recorded tones I have ever had honestly but I just can't get the same tube amp feel which is important to me. Maybe with the right FRFR? idk.
I actually think it is there. You have to remember that the modelers are modeling a mic'd up cab being recorded and not an amp in the room. You can get the amp in the room sound if you just run the pre into a poweramp.

slyym":3h2pqzby said:
I actually think it is there. You have to remember that the modelers are modeling a mic'd up cab being recorded and not an amp in the room. You can get the amp in the room sound if you just run the pre into a poweramp.
The thing for me is that I just can't get that super thick palm muted sound aka jug jug aka chug chug whatever lol. Even with my suhr RL and IR's, it's not quite the same as a mic'd up cab. I think it has something to do with the air moving from the speaker/cab and what not.

@Jer if you do stumble across a good Helix native setting that gets that tone i'm looking for by all means dude would love to try it, thanks!

Ok, had the day off and decided to go whack off with the Line 6 Native Plugin today lol... and of course I had to try an S.O.D. tone test... this was the best that I could get out of it within the few hours I had to spare... what do you guys think?

errrrrl":17s8r52w said:
JerEvil":17s8r52w said:
maddnotez":17s8r52w said:

Fuckin' A!! Love S.O.D.!! One of the most brutal tones ever IMHO! Would love to see the Helix duplicate this!!

errrrrl":2frccajp said:
Ok, had the day off and decided to go whack off with the Line 6 Native Plugin today lol... and of course I had to try an S.O.D. tone test... this was the best that I could get out of it within the few hours I had to spare... what do you guys think?

Sounded great! I think a tad more high end and its there.

fender126":1woegutd said:
errrrrl":1woegutd said:

Yeah agreed!

JerEvil":xiwvqgtg said:
fender126":xiwvqgtg said:
errrrrl":xiwvqgtg said:

Yeah agreed!
Yup, add some hair on the high end like Anthrax/SOD had and you're really close. Ian's SOD tone was positively sick. One of the most brutal guitar tones of all time. :worship: :worship: :worship:

@fender126 @Beyond Black Thanks for the feedback guys! Took another stab at it just now and used the new Friedman-ish amp "Placater Dirty" and cranked the highs up like you said and holy shit it sounds way better. Here is the SOD tone test 2! :rock:

Back