Headrush vs ?

MistaGuitah

Is the Headrush modeling pedalboard based on the Eleven Rack? Has anyone compared it to the gold standard (AxeFX) or Kemper?

The interface is sick with touch screen, drop/drag, and stupid simple. I'm intrigued as well. The support is what seems to lack. Can load IRs, but amp models are pretty limited. I couldn't find glowing reviews, for being out awhile, not much feedback.

MistaGuitah":1yhx4b7q said:
Findthetone1":1yhx4b7q said:
Quite a few vids on YouTube you should check out

Did that. Looking for opinions from users.

If you haven't found this guy, he has several Headrush videos. I didn't find him right away, until I ran into a thread where someone mentioned him with regards to the Headrush. He's got some sick lead tones, (great player, but he gets a lttle too spastic for my tastes)..

I dig the shit out of this unit... I'm looking for more info - like I said, the interface couldn't be more simple. Slicker than cat shit.

Damn that single coil stuff, especially around the 3:47 mark, was pretty damned good. I'm as intrigued as you are. There seems to be a lot of dynamics to this unit as far as I can tell from the videos. If that's the case and it has a real tube like feel, then that's pretty formidable for the price. If Avid owns any stake in the company though, it would be turn off for me as their support sucks. The interface as you pointed out is very cool.

MistaGuitah":1xxdolj0 said:
Damn that single coil stuff, especially around the 3:47 mark, was pretty damned good. I'm as intrigued as you are. There seems to be a lot of dynamics to this unit as far as I can tell from the videos. If that's the case and it has a real tube like feel, then that's pretty formidable for the price. If Avid owns any stake in the company though, it would be turn off for me as their support sucks. The interface as you pointed out is very cool.

I don't believe Avid is involved. They were purchased by Inmusic Brands. The device is Eleven Rack-based, but reworked from the ground up. But, it still remains to be seen how their support is. They've done an update, I believe. But there's very little on the net, besides a handful of reviews.

I've not heard or read anybody bad-mouthing the unit, only support.

No gripes at Sweetwater. I'm guessing the guy who didn't like it ran it through the front of his combo amps, and not the FX return. Of course it's going to sound like shit, layering a preamp over a preamp! Just a hunch..

napalmdeath":3q0b01jv said:
MistaGuitah":3q0b01jv said:

I don't believe Avid is involved. They were purchased by Inmusic Brands. The device is Eleven Rack-based, but reworked from the ground up. But, it still remains to be seen how their support is. They've done an update, I believe. But there's very little on the net, besides a handful of reviews.

I've not heard or read anybody bad-mouthing the unit, only support.

No gripes at Sweetwater. I'm guessing the guy who didn't like it ran it through the front of his combo amps, and not the FX return. Of course it's going to sound like shit, layering a preamp over a preamp! Just a hunch..

I got the Eleven Rack when it first hit the Market, but a long time passed before they did any updates. Every time I'd call for support on the buggy unit, they'd blame my computer. It didn't have a realistic amp feel either. I trashed the Eleven Rack and wrote it off as crap. I could see the potential there, but without the support to back it up, it's just worthless.

MistaGuitah":2li6jdru said:
I got the Eleven Rack when it first hit the Market, but a long time passed before they did any updates. Every time I'd call for support on the buggy unit, they'd blame my computer. It didn't have a realistic amp feel either. I trashed the Eleven Rack and wrote it off as crap. I could see the potential there, but without the support to back it up, it's just worthless.

I agree. HUGE turnoff.

Oddly enough, I became pretty closed-minded about Line6. Never bonded with their overly-complicated, processed-sounding stuff, but I may be coming around.. Their support is good, and I'm finding the Helix LT worth a shot. The Helix LT is the same price as the Headrush. I may go for an LT.

That same guy I posted videos of the Headrush, also has a gazillion Helix demos. They sound DAMN good.. Atleast they do through my good headphones!

napalmdeath":1l7owsdj said:
MistaGuitah":1l7owsdj said:

I agree. HUGE turnoff.

Oddly enough, I became pretty closed-minded about Line6. Never bonded with their overly-complicated, processed-sounding stuff, but I may be coming around.. Their support is good, and I'm finding the Helix LT worth a shot. The Helix LT is the same price as the Headrush. I may go for an LT.

That same guy I posted videos of the Headrush, also has a gazillion Helix demos. They sound DAMN good.. Atleast they do through my good headphones!

Man I just tried the Positive Grid Bias for the first time today. The Helix seems a couple of notches above the HD stuff but the Bias amp is fairly impressive. It's a bit like the Katana in a way, but a lot more sounds and better quality sound in my opinion. That may be the best option in this price range. I need to try the Headrush first, but if I had to choose between the three, the Bias is looking pretty good so far.

MistaGuitah":3sr6us1y said:
napalmdeath":3sr6us1y said:
MistaGuitah":3sr6us1y said:

I agree. HUGE turnoff.

Man I just tried the Positive Grid Bias for the first time today. The Helix seems a couple of notches above the HD stuff but the Bias amp is fairly impressive. It's a bit like the Katana in a way, but a lot more sounds and better quality sound in my opinion. That may be the best option in this price range. I need to try the Headrush first, but if I had to choose between the three, the Bias is looking pretty good so far.

The Atomic Amplifire stuff sounds damn good too. They just released an AA6, 6-button footswitch. $599.
I've read many reviews, been to forums, and many say it's a step above in the amp models. Just trimmed down, less FX, inputs, gimmicks, etc. Simple.

I've had the Helix, and ended up sending it back due to it being way too complicated for me. Some people say it isn't, but for me I found it too hard to adjust things on the fly in a live setting.

I recently got the Headrush and right off the bat I liked it better. Setting it up and adjusting it is so much easier. I haven't had much time with it yet due to buying a new house and renovating it, but as soon as we get settled I hope to give a better review.

iplayloudly":10utt9ch said:
I've had the Helix, and ended up sending it back due to it being way too complicated for me. Some people say it isn't, but for me I found it too hard to adjust things on the fly in a live setting.

I recently got the Headrush and right off the bat I liked it better. Setting it up and adjusting it is so much easier. I haven't had much time with it yet due to buying a new house and renovating it, but as soon as we get settled I hope to give a better review.

I definitely like it's user-friendliness! It's the models and IRs that I'm interested in, mostly, and it's durability and support. I use subtle effects, so having the basics are all I'm concerned with.

napalmdeath":2gesmghw said:
I definitely like it's user-friendliness! It's the models and IRs that I'm interested in, mostly, and it's durability and support. I use subtle effects, so having the basics are all I'm concerned with.

It seems pretty durable. The housing is metal and its pretty heavy. The switches don't seem flimsy or anything.

iplayloudly":2el8lmba said:
napalmdeath":2el8lmba said:

It seems pretty durable. The housing is metal and its pretty heavy. The switches don't seem flimsy or anything.

Are you able to route effects post/pre?? The manual doesnt clarify. It suggests how you should chain them, but lists modulation after ODs, fuzz, etc, but doesn't say if you can add them post. I assume so, that would be silly.

napalmdeath":1e7kd0ug said:
iplayloudly":1e7kd0ug said:
napalmdeath":1e7kd0ug said:

Are you able to route effects post/pre?? The manual doesnt clarify. It suggests how you should chain them, but lists modulation after ODs, fuzz, etc, but doesn't say if you can add them post. I assume so, that would be silly.

Yes

I have a Headrush and a Helix. Sold my AX8.

Are they as refined as the Fractal? No. Are they less "demanding" if you are one of those people who can end up "chasing the rabbit"? Definitely. Less to monkey with. Both can use 3rd party Its, which most think is the weakness of these units. Myself, I'm pretty okay with them. I find that if I put an EQ at the end of the chain, you can often dial out some of the harsh fizz that some complain about.

The HR is the coolest interface I've had the pleasure of using. I think it sounds great too, but I really liked the 11R too, so there is that...

Chris O":3qrrflyd said:

Are they as refined as the Fractal? No. Are they less "demanding" if you are one of those people who can end up "chasing the rabbit"? Definitely. Less to monkey with. Both can use 3rd party Its, which most think is the weakness of these units. Myself, I'm pretty okay with them. I find that if I put an EQ at the end of the chain, you can often dial out some of the harsh fizz that some complain about.

The HR is the coolest interface I've had the pleasure of using. I think it sounds great too, but I really liked the 11R too, so there is that...

What's making you keep both the Headrush, & Helix? Why would the ability to use 3rd part IR's be a weakness?? I suppose, in my cases I've read, that it's nearly a MUST to load 3rd party IR's. I suppose, the weakness would be what's available on the unit, factory?? It sucks to drop even MORE money on IR's, because the onboard models aren't as good.

I think it's a shame that 3rd parties often have the best IR's, and the Fractals, Line6's, and other manufacturers can't seem to get that part right.. Well, Fractal seems to offer the most cabs, anyway.

napalmdeath":25jd3mlf said:
Chris O":25jd3mlf said:

What's making you keep both the Headrush, & Helix? Why would the ability to use 3rd part IR's be a weakness?? I suppose, in my cases I've read, that it's nearly a MUST to load 3rd party IR's. I suppose, the weakness would be what's available on the unit, factory?? It sucks to drop even MORE money on IR's, because the onboard models aren't as good.

I think it's a shame that 3rd parties often have the best IR's, and the Fractals, Line6's, and other manufacturers can't seem to get that part right.. Well, Fractal seems to offer the most cabs, anyway.

I like them both, that's why! :thumbsup:

Badly worded - the onboard IR's are "considered" a weakness, although I guess I haven't really wanted for more. Tons of guys use 3rd party cabs, but I don't. Like I said, I use an EQ at the end of the chain, and can dial in/out what is missing or too harsh. I might try a couple 3rd party IR's I remember really liking from my Fractal days though - just to see if it's really all about the author of the IR.

I'm getting a Helix LT - This sealed the deal. I know he's using 3rd party IR's, but the high gain amp models are insane. The Line6 Litigator, Badonk, and Archon models sound sick. I'm going for it, I think!

Back