NAD - KSR Orthos

rbasaria

Got this amp from Laura yesterday. Need to give this some time. Its quite a bit different from the Mark IV, which I fucking LOVE, but I wanted something newer and more reliable, since this Mark IV has given me a lot of trouble. I am also considering just buying another Mark IV, but we will see.

Anyway...the verdict is still out. I like it...a lot...but I LOVE the Mark IV, so its tough for me to compare. The midrange is really nice on this amp. There is some grittiness in the high end that I am having a hard time dialing out. It makes the amp a little grainy, even at loud volumes. The low end is nice and tight, but not as tight or punchy as the Mark IV, and also not as massive. It has a very focused sound vs the massive wall that the Mesa puts out. It does sound great, overall, though. And the clean channel is fucking incredible. Switching is a lot easier than the IV, too...2 button FS vs 5 buttons lol. The lights are really fucking sweet, and you can assign whatever color you want to whatever channel/master you want.

2 gains on the lead channel, 2 master volumes...so you can essentially have a 4 channel amp. The 2 masters do sound different. I am trying to figure out which I like better and dial each one in. Also trying to figure out my colors haha.

Overall, I do like this amp. And I am liking it more as I figure it out and dial it in, but the Mark IV just fucking destroys. I need to try to remember that the point of buying this was to have something different and more reliable for shows...and it is both of those things. I just don't think its better than the Mark IV.

Did some mic'd clips. Used my Juggy with Fishman Fluence Modern in is. Bass was recorded through the clean channel of each respective amp. Mics were Audix I5 and Audix D2 into a Behringer mixer, then into my Tascam UH7000.

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/4515195 ... Orthos.mp3

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/4515195 ... MarkIV.mp3

HNAD! Both amps sound great! After listening to both of your clips I have to agree with you about the Mark iv
That thing is badass! :rock:

Sounds pretty brutal. Good choice on the Audix i5 mic... I like it more sometimes than the SM57 up close to keep things tight and articulate.

Try upping the global MV to Around 12:00 on the Orthos and dialing in the overall volume with the channel masters. Keep the loop off if possible too.

Thanks for checking it out. I definitely prefer the Mark IV over the Orthos. Granted, I've had the Mesa for almost 2 years, and just got the Orthos last night lol.

I actually just got the i5 last week. I got a D2 about a month ago, and like it a lot, so was curious about the i5. This is the first thing I've recorded with it. I like it so far.

Both sound absolutely killer. I don't think you're gonna find an amp that sounds "better" than either one of those. Different maybe, but not necessarily better. I mean, for those tones, how much better can an amp sound? :D The KSR has a very unique voicing, and a ripping midrange that takes a little getting used to, but once your ears adjust, the reward is huge. I've got an Ares that I LOVE, and when I plug into it after playing any one of my other amps, it sounds weird for a minute or two until my ears adjust. But when they do, it's pure bliss. :rock: Congrats and enjoy!

Wizard of Ozz":dw5z090s said:
Sounds pretty brutal. Good choice on the Audix i5 mic... I like it more sometimes than the SM57 up close to keep things tight and articulate.

Try upping the global MV to Around 12:00 on the Orthos and dialing in the overall volume with the channel masters. Keep the loop off if possible too.

not to deviate too far away from the original topic, but I am curious, at this point you've had the Gemini for a bit now. From a subjective POV, what do you prefer for metal, the JP-2C or the Gemini? I am considering both right now

Excellent clips! Digging the tune too.

The Mark IV may be my favorite amp of all that I've played and heard...

...and I'm actually preferring the Orthos in these clips. Both the miced and video examples. That openness of the Orthos is pretty damn cool.

One suggestion I'll make as someone who was spoiled by the Mark series about two decades ago and counting is to put an EQ in the loop of the Orthos. The graphic EQ is a very powerful tool in the Mark amps. I always found myself limited and annoyed going back to amps with no graphic EQ as the EQ sections on most amps are pretty tame IMO..

Again, great clips. :thumbsup:

It would also be most excellent if someone, some Wizard of a man, could make clips using his Gemini and his JP2C to further showcase these amp lines.:D

I absolutely love the video you posted man. That grittiness you're trying to dial out - I'd love to have even more of that. It's what makes you cut through in a band mix without having to go for a razor-blade like tone. I've heard a similar grain only once live and it was my friends KT88 bogner twin jet.

You now have 2 very different amps, which cover pretty much all sounds you need. The mk4 being more polished, polite and smooth, whereas the orthos is a barky metal beast.
Love it!

btw you wont be able to dial out the grit cause it's the overall voicing of the amp happening across all frequencies and how it distorts in the tone stack. One thing that might help reduce it may be a different speaker.

Thanks for checking it out guys.

I disagree about the grittiness being what makes the tone cut through a mix. Ive been using the Mark IV at practice and live for close to 2 years, and it punches itself through every mix its been involved with. I can EASILY drown out my drummer with that amp, and it has no grittiness to it at all.

Anyway...I am not sure I will be keeping the Orthos. While it is a great amp, I just don't think its the one for me.

Check the bias on the Orthos. Use a DMM to measure DC VOLTS (1mV = 1mA) of plate current. Adjust bias pot on top of chassis to measure 50 mV, which is for 2 tubes, then check the other 2. It sounds like it's biased high, but hard to tell with clips of course. In general, lack of clarity and note definition = bias is too high. A lower bias will yield the dynamic range required for punchy low-end and note detail.

Also, curious if you have any other cabs to try?

protoplasma":3lybi3wd said:
Check the bias on the Orthos. Use a DMM to measure DC VOLTS (1mV = 1mA) of plate current. Adjust bias pot on top of chassis to measure 50 mV, which is for 2 tubes, then check the other 2. It sounds like it's biased high, but hard to tell with clips of course. In general, lack of clarity and note definition = bias is too high. A lower bias will yield the dynamic range required for punchy low-end and note detail.

Also, curious if you have any other cabs to try?

I do have another cab to try it with, which will happen at practice tomorrow night.

I will check the bias when I get home, though I bought it from Laura, so I can't imagine it not being biased right.

motorboy1":eyr699zd said:
rbasaria":eyr699zd said:
No boosts. I hate boosting amps.

Same here. I just got a Mark IV Rev A head and it just sounds more open without a boost.

marks and VHT ultraleads are such tight/dry amps that they rarely benefit from boosting.
One thing that does work though is using a crunch setting and boosting with a drive pedal instead.

Back