Recommend a 2x12 cab for home/bedroom use

Econ

I’m currently building a small rig for home/bedroom use and need some recommendations for a 2x12 cab, given the number of choices available in the market today. I okay 80’s hair metal, hard rock and fusion. Among the following choices, which one would you recommend:

Bogner
Friedman
Port City
Mesa Boogie
Orange

For the choice selected, would you recommend a traditional horizontal cab or a vertical cab? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I'd pick the Bogner, too. Heard great things about the Friedman, no experience with the Port City, spent about a year with a Mesa, and own an Orange (all were 2x12s). The Orange is a good cab. Doesn't seem to have the depth of the others, but is well built. Feels more vintage-like to me. The Mesa is what you'd expect, although it seemed slightly subdued in the highs. The Bogner sounds just about as huge as a 4x12, big but controlled bass (thumps like a 4x12). Smooth highs that still cut and a present midrange. Sounds great with any head I run through it.

All the manufacturers you listed make high quality 2x12 cabs.
The issue becomes the speakers....
Friedman = Chinese V30's,
Boogie = the proprietary Boogie V30 ( more mids, not as bright as the Chinese version )
Orange = V30's ( not sure if the Orange V30's are Chinese or a British made variant.
*** note*** the V30 Chinese / British / Marshall / Celestion / Boogie thing is a can of worms...and I'm not sure that it's all that relevant right now, other than weather the cabs have V30's or not.

With Bogner and Port City, you have options...

You need to decide on a speaker choice, and then select the cab.

Seeing as how this is a home / bedroom rig, a 2x12 cab with a pair of the rather in-efficient G12m greenbacks may be just what the doctor ordered to help keep the volume on the down low.
And they would probably work OK for the 80's / hard rock / fusion tones you're looking for too....

If I remember correctly, when I got my Orange cab, it came with Chinese V30s. I pulled those in favor of an older British V30 and G12H30 Anni.

Just for the record, I've got a pair of G12M65 Creambacks in my Bogner 2x12 and I'm really happy with them. Celestion lists their sensitivity at 97dB, the Heritage G12M at 96dB, and the Classic G12M at 98dB. Not too much different, and probably not discernable.

An oversized 2x12, like the Bogner, will come closer to sounding like an ideal 4x12.

I would like to have Celestion V30’s in my cab and would also love to have it wired for stereo. Maybe having one v30 and one creamback would be the ideal combo, but I don’t want to go through the hassle of ordering and installing speakers. Wonder if I can order a Bogner with the speaker combo that I want?

None of the above. (2) Mesa Thiele 1x12's. Endless possibilities. Grab and go with 1, stack 2, or great for stereo rig.

Went this route twice, better than a 2x12. I also find the stock MC90 speakers phenomenal.

whichever cab you get i would consider getting extra back panels.

if playing at home or in small rooms an open back cab really sounds fuller and bigger.

my best outcome was a bogner os cab with an extra 3/4 open back panels.

gave me the tightness needed for high gain but also added some openess to the sound and seemed less beamy

From the Bogner website:

212CH closed back large size, optional open back

The same cabinet like the 212C in black bronco/levant tolex to compliment the Helios and Telos Amplifiers. Loaded with a Celestion V30 and Creamback 65 wired in parallel to 8 ohms. The cabinet can also be ordered with both panels (212C/OH), in that case cabinet will be shipped as closed back so that everything can be send in one box.

You'd have to call them and ask about a stereo jack plate and wiring.

Maybe an EVH loaded with greenbacks.
Vintage 30s is a no-no. I had a mesa mini recto with vintage 30 and it wasn't for low volume.
I think i would go for the 2x Mesa Thiele 1x12 solution if stereo route is what you like.
But that Bogner 2x12 sounds great every time i see someone playing through it on youtube.. Maybe you can buy that and put greenbacks or other low efficiency speakers inside that have the tonal characteristics you are interested in?

I ordered once from ttcabs in Germany, an oversised 1x12 with an eminence governor inside and that sounded great.

Tough choice, very different speakers. I doubt I'd be able to tell you anything you don't already know. I have cabs with both. For me, it comes down to what I'm playing through it and what I'm wanting out of it.

For low volumes, the Greenbacks are -2dB to -4dB less efficient, so while it's a noticeable difference, it's not much. The Heritage GBs are the least efficient, but handle 20w, compared to the V30 @ 60w.

I’ve had the Bogner 212CB and I now have the Friedman BE-212. Both are great cabs and I would be happy with either!

Back