Vintage Hiwatt + Pedal or 5153?

ZedEsq

As I wait for a IIC+ to pop-up for sale, I'm on the verge of picking up one of the new 5153s. That said, presuming I'm running through an ubercab, am I better off just sticking a EVH 5150 pedal (or even the BE-OD) in front of my 70s Custom 50? Thanks all.

I would whole heartedly say yes. With the dynamics of the Hiwatt, between turning the pedal on and off and/or using volume rolloff you'll have all the sounds you'll need. Also if you tire of the high gain tone, you just use a different pedal. You don't have to flip an amp.

The 5150 Overdrive pedal is named all wrong. It is not and OD and works best and was designed to go in front of a totally clean amp. It's really the 5150 III blue channel in a pedal.

Are Hiwatt's capable of anything more than crunch? They are a pretty clean tone amp. I remember when the WHO were using them they didn't distort like a Marshall!!! I think a BEOD or any pedal platform like the VH4 pedal should sound pretty stellar into a HiWatt, turn it off BAM! Hiwatt Country clean spank.

Though I have not played a BEOD it has many excellent video clips and sound impressive for a Marshall amp tone pedal. Let us know how it sounds when you get the VH4 pedal.

I have the BE-OD and use it in front of a 50 watt Sound City and it sounds killer. I also run an AMT R2 and actually like it a little bit more for most things. They are both awesome and I expect the Diezel pedal will be as well.

harddriver":tsga19tn said:
Are Hiwatt's capable of anything more than crunch? They are a pretty clean tone amp. I remember when the WHO were using them they didn't distort like a Marshall!!! I think a BEOD or any pedal platform like the VH4 pedal should sound pretty stellar into a HiWatt, turn it off BAM! Hiwatt Country clean spank.
I agree, a VH4 pedal should sound great into a Hiwatt. I hear a little of that Hiwatt punch in Diezel amps, so it should be a great match!

Have you ever played a Hiwatt? I've got a 70s DR504, similar or the same as the OP, and while I wouldn't say it's high gain, it'll give my JMP 2203 a run for its money. Not sure if I was going for country clean spank, either would be my first call. ;)

I’d keep the 70s Hiwatt with pedals. :thumbsup:

How do the Reeves amps compare, as far as a new production Hiwatt inspired amp goes? The Space Cowboy looks like a really nice pedal platform. Anyone have any experience with it or another Reeves?

Back