NAD_ KT77 Splawn Content

Congrats and welcome to the Quick Rod club.

Love to hear others describe the amp from a 'metal' perspective. Hard to get this amp to flub out. I also run my treble at '0'. Amp seems a bit more open that way.

You've renewed my GAS for KT77 thank you very much :D

Have fun!

311splawndude":5nbmmsr1 said:

Love to hear others describe the amp from a 'metal' perspective. Hard to get this amp to flub out. I also run my treble at '0'. Amp seems a bit more open that way.

Have fun!

I have to try the treble at 0 trick next gig I take it to. Having said that it always sounds bloody perfect the way it is!

311splawndude":1alellyz said:

Have fun!

Thanks dude! This things such a great metal amp for sure. I'm not one to tube swap much, but the kt77 sound really good in this amp; I'm diggin em.

Well, MetalHeadMike, I'm blaming you for this... ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I picked up a used Splawn Competition Monday night. Still learning it and will post NAD thread over the weekend. This one just presented itself at exactly the right time, for a good price, and I just couldn't resist (that's the part I blame you for... :LOL: :LOL: )

I still want to bias it up and throw some new glass in there, but so far... DAMN!! Even with all my Marshalls, this thing's got something really special! That I won't blame you for... that I will THANK YOU for! :rock:

ChurchHill":2rx5pjk6 said:
Well, MetalHeadMike, I'm blaming you for this... ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I picked up a used Splawn Competition Monday night. Still learning it and will post NAD thread over the weekend. This one just presented itself at exactly the right time, for a good price, and I just couldn't resist (that's the part I blame you for... :LOL: :LOL: )

I still want to bias it up and throw some new glass in there, but so far... DAMN!! Even with all my Marshalls, this thing's got something really special! That I won't blame you for... that I will THANK YOU for! :rock:

Hell yeah my man :rock: :rock: :rock: CONGRATS! Can't wait for your NAD post!

That's what happened that led me to this one. Right place right time. At least that's how I try and convince my wife that it was a good decision :LOL: :LOL:

The Splawn does seem to be something special; you nailed it! This is a total cliche statement here, but with this amp I feel I've found one of "The" sounds I've had in my head. I'm still in the HM phase for sure, but this amp could lead to a nice rest period for the rest of the herd and possibly even some culling at some point. The later is probably not going to happen in all likely-hood as they each bring something unique to the tone palate, but its that good!

Thanks, Man! Just got the new glass in this afternoon. My wife thought it was a pretty good buy, too, and she's been impressed so far.

Totally agree... everything has to bring something unique to the table, and Splawn definitely does! I know exactly what you mean about it being one of "the" sounds in my head. Such great attack with that super-bright-but-not-harsh attack that also has plenty of thump. It's like every time I pick, it's punching me right in the face. Going to load mine with KT77s, too... I hadn't used those until I got my Herbert and now they're (not so) slowly creeping into all my EL34 amps. LOL!!

Thanks again for the inspiration to get this one!!

:rock: :rock: :rock:

^^^
Right on man! I'm stoked that your so excited about it! Look forward to your thoughts when you get the new glass in there!

There is such a unique saturation to the QR, not sure if the Competition is the same, but I've not played an amp that has this type of gain structure and that is so articulate and punchy at the same time; truly aweosme :rock:

Turn it up and enjoy it man :rock:

Hey, Mike! Sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit. Anyway, I wanted to post this here, in case someone in the future comes across this thread.

The Competition is 50w and doesn't have a clean channel. Other than that, as far as I can tell, and according to the Splawn website, it's the same amp. Mine's a 2006. The transformers have "QR' as part of the model number, and from the gut shots I've see of the QR, it's the same circuit board, too, just without the clean channel parts.

In any case, it's a killer amp!! I still need to get some pics up and a Not-So-New-New-Amps-Day thread.

Not to get too far off topic, but have you really not ever played a Mark Series Boogie? I thought I saw that in another thread recently. Could be wrong, though.

:rock:

I could have easily done without a clean ch; I never play clean. Sounds like the Comp 50 is the way to go if a guy wants that QR grind less the cleans. Glad your digging it!

I have not played any Boogie sir. I need to!

Back