BE50 Deluxe: Review & Owners Chime in/Settings

I play in my apartment and have had the cops called 4 times in 1.5 years.

I just played the BE50 and my Splawn Pro Stock at low, apartment volumes to compare them. Both do exceptionally well. It made me rethink selling my Splawn a bit. The loop volume on the Splawn is fanstastic and the Masters on the BE50 with the loop volume AND the Sat switch are equally fantastic. These amps can get mean, clear/articulate, and nasty at low, apartment friendly volumes.

I hadn't played the Splawn in a while, so it made me giggle.

I prefer the BE50, because it has more options.

But, the Splawn is INSTANT Slash to AIC. The BE50 can do that well, but Gear 1 on the Splawn is the jam. It's really nasty.

Both great amps. The BE50 is so clear and articulate, but the Splawn hangs easily in that department. It just has less features somewhat. However, it does have the Gears and OD boost, which I love.

We're spoiled.

Gig quick report. Played the BE50 this weekend. Mic'd up. Outdoor covered stage area. This time I had the Sat switch on all night. Both BE/HBE gains set to 2:00. I would ocasionally boost BE with my TC (big) Spark for tighter chugg. Volume was set to 12:00, so halfway. All of this was through my Friedman 2x12.

It was glorious. Had several guys in the crowd compliment they hadn't heard a tone that good on stage in a while. I asked what they were hearing and seeing? One guy said mesa, another said 5153 and our sound guy said floor modelers. None said those tones were bad, but they liked a real amp was cooking on stage that sounded great through the PA and for those sitting and dancing in front of the stage. The sound guy, who's also a drummer in a few bands, was really complimentary. It made me feel good about spending the coin. I was A/B'ing the Friedmans (Slax vs. BE50) along with my Splawn Pro Stock. The BE50 one for my needs, but I could have played any one of them.

I was looking at the KSR Juno, and would love to play one, but with my financial needs at the moment, I'm gonna hold on to the BE50.

The Butterslax I have will be in the classifieds this week, however! Splawn is already there. Would love to keep all three, but can't afford it.

Junk Yard Dog":mbmhm7hd said:
Gig quick report. Played the BE50 this weekend. Mic'd up. Outdoor covered stage area. This time I had the Sat switch on all night. Both BE/HBE gains set to 2:00. I would ocasionally boost BE with my TC (big) Spark for tighter chugg. Volume was set to 12:00, so halfway. All of this was through my Friedman 2x12.

It was glorious. Had several guys in the crowd compliment they hadn't heard a tone that good on stage in a while. I asked what they were hearing and seeing? One guy said mesa, another said 5153 and our sound guy said floor modelers. None said those tones were bad, but they liked a real amp was cooking on stage that sounded great through the PA and for those sitting and dancing in front of the stage. The sound guy, who's also a drummer in a few bands, was really complimentary. It made me feel good about spending the coin. I was A/B'ing the Friedmans (Slax vs. BE50) along with my Splawn Pro Stock. The BE50 one for my needs, but I could have played any one of them.

I was looking at the KSR Juno, and would love to play one, but with my financial needs at the moment, I'm gonna hold on to the BE50.

The Butterslax I have will be in the classifieds this week, however! Splawn is already there. Would love to keep all three, but can't afford it.
:rock:
This goes to show that no matter how much we love our rigs, the crowd for the most part just doesn't know the difference unless they are players/soundguys.
But it's great when someone in the know compliments the gear. First time I heard a Wizard live with The Pretty Reckless I knew I had to try one. Still, after hearing how great our gear sounds to US, I could care less if the crowd knows the difference or not, because dammit I hear it every day and it puts a smile on my face.
:D

Do you still use the SAT switch? Just curious because as you said some like it, some don't, but it could be they haven't tried the Return at 3:00 (like Dave suggests), because as soon as I did, it gave it this perfect balance of raw, organic tone and feel, along with this tight, punchy and articulate HUGE wall of sound!! In addition I was able to get almost effortless fluid, singing legato runs on the HBE channel without the need of a boost pedal. For me hands down the best sound I got out of the amp with those settings(medium gain structure setting on the back). It gave me that signature Friedman wall-of sound, in your face raw yet refined sound I was looking for.

Back