Gibson is just killing me...

Moshaholic

Can anybody tell me if this looks like a rosewood or baked grandillo fret-board?

Looks and feels just like baked granadillo to me...

Has that light splotchy look in person and feels really extra smooth in texture.

Thanks.

bmHTtOV.jpg

GnIbZIu.jpg

bSJR2SA.jpg

My USA Strat and USA Les Paul Special in Rosewood
uBySCpG.jpg

FWIW, this is brand new 2018 model

Andertons has it listed as Grandillo

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gibson-usa- ... -tv-yellow

I bought it from AMS/ZZounds and it was listed as ROSEWOOD and this is what I got and it looks like NOT rosewood... lol

It was listed as Grandillo on Sweetwater until a few hours ago and now it mysteriously changed to Rosewood after I spoke to the dealer I got it from and sent them a link to Andertons and Sweetwater showing it was in Granadillo???

Called Gibson and they swear its rosewood that they only make these guitars in rosewood and NOT Grandillo?

I think they just grab what ever wood is ready to go an start building stuff and worry about the details later...

Music zoo and wild wood has it as rosewood and the board looks totally like rosewood and is very different than mine....
https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gi ... v-yellow-1

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/180 ... ble-cut-3/

I bought a new LP in 2016 that was advertised by ZZ/AMS as having Burstbuckers. It came with 57 Classics. I returned it. Not because I hate 57's (I do actually) but because it just wasn't an honest transaction in my book for a NEW $2000 guitar.

That fretboard has too much crème in the coffee.

I think that is the grandillo... its a lighter look, but you can darken it with some oil. How does it sound?

lespaul6":3549je6k said:
I think that is the grandillo... its a lighter look, but you can darken it with some oil. How does it sound?

"Sounds like Grandillio"... ba doon pish ! :LOL: :LOL:

No serioulsy, It does not sound bad, but has a little high end chime thing going on that I would not hear in rosewood me thinks.

It's going back because I wanted rosewood and the confusion from Gibson is really lame.

AMS/Zzzounds told me they spoke to Gibson today and they swear to them that they have never made the 2018 LP Special DC in anything but rosewood... there are dealers that have them advertised as Granadillo... they probably made a batch and then changed up.

This guitar is not rosewood... I have bought/tried Granadilldo in the past and and played those fretboards many times at Sam Ash and GC on explorers and LP Studios.

I have another LP special with P90's and its rosewood + a butt load of other Les Pauls, Fenders & PRS with rosewood you can just see and feel the difference pretty easy.

Yeah I have heard bright and clear describing the granadillo... I would get what you expected though.. nice guitar

The bottom line is if the guitar gives you a feeling of dissatisfaction return it if you can. It probably won't go away and then you will resent the guitar and be stuck trying to off load it, used, to another rosewood aficionado.... lol

Moshaholic":17nrz1ft said:
sutepaj":17nrz1ft said:
Looks like a fretboard you would find on a Esteban or Wal Mart First Act guitar.

Now thats funny... lol

I bought my son one of those First Act guitars to bang around, and that’s exactly what I thought. Looks just like the fretboard on a FA guitar. :aww:

I just got this email from Gibson this morning.

Is it possible its really CRAPPY rosewood???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Congrats on your new guitar! This model has a Rosewood fingerboard.

Thanks.
Jon
Customer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc.
1-800-4GIBSON
service@gibson.com
www.gibson.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mmmmm...
Dosent look like rosewood, but I would not definitively say its not.
Thats annoying

ZZ site has Rosewood listed on the spec sheet.
And there pictures look like RW.
By the way, that's a great looking axe

John4021":4ndcezj5 said:
ZZ site has Rosewood listed on the spec sheet.
And there pictures look like RW.
By the way, that's a great looking axe

It was listed at ZZ when I bought it as "rosewood" and they have been very nice about the situation (for which I blame Gibson for) and have taken excellent care of me on this.

I just added a pic of a couple my other guitars in rosewood, it's either baked Grandillo on the new one I just got or some type rosewood I have never seen before as it is not like my other guitars.

I just bought a 18 SG that had the same fret board. Looked to me like it was dried out. So, I oiled it up and it sucked up every bit of the oil the place on it. I didn't even have to wipe it off. I didn't even consider it may not be Rosewood.

It would make sense that the UK has the granadillo.. due to CITES Maybe they sent you one bound for the UK?

lespaul6":8ga11pq5 said:
It would make sense that the UK has the granadillo.. due to CITES Maybe they sent you one bound for the UK?

You might be right on that one...

All I know is there is no comparison (especially in person) to my other rosewood Gibson and Fender boards...

uBySCpG.jpg

Back