Can KT77s be used in place of EL34 in any amp (Chupacabra)

peckhart

HT fuse blew in my Chupacabra. Hoping it was just a valve and if it is I have some spare sets of EL34s to use for the time being. It will likely drive me to pull the trigger on some new tubes though and I have been wanting to try KT77s in my Helios.
So I am wondering if I would be able to try them in the Ceriatone Chupacabra as well? And then the more general question beyond that is can they can into any EL34 amp?

Just dropped a quad into a Splawn QR due to the same issue. Blown HT (Slo-Blo) fuse. Pulled the power tubes and one of them looked suspect with discoloration inside; had the glass cracked all the way around the base. I contacted Scott and he said they were a direct replacement for the EL34B that were in there. Biased up and they rip!

I got the Chupacabra back up and running. I don't see anything visibly wrong with any of the JJ E34Ls that were in it and they all do light up. Tested for a short and found none.
Decided to replace the fuse and put in a spare set of Ruby EL34s I had and it is working. I didn't have it up very loud and I'll need to run this thing a bunch to feel comfortable since I can't see for sure that one of the power tubes was the issue. I do have a few spare fuses now so maybe I will put them back in and see what happens.

Back