Greco flying V?

Kapo_Polenton

What is the story on these guitars? Japanese Gibson copies I am assuming and they trend around the 1K mark. I think they were an off shoot of ESP kind of like Edwards guitars were. Is there a way to identify these and make sure it is what it is? I really want one of those retro Schenker black/White V's but I also don't want to get duped on a chinese copy and most of the affordable Deans look to be built in Korea.

So far I have had luck on anything ordered from Japan so I trust I will actually get it and most Japanese people seem to be too honourable to be fraudsters ( I know that seems funny but go to Japan and see how much order there is) but you never know.

I don't think you could go wrong with either a Greco or Edwards, they both have MSG V models. Not sure where the Dean is made I'm guessing China, if you just want a wall hanger the Dean will do but if you want a player go for the Greco or Edwards but I could be wrong without playing the Dean it is a bit unfair to judge it so based on the price.

I had an Edwards Les Paul and I liked it more than any Gibson LP I've owned through the years. My 1983 was a toneless boat anchor, a beautiful boat anchor I must say but still a toneless boat anchor. The Edwards quality is right up there. Michael's Black and White V was an ARIA guitar built in Japan, he had a black and white Gibson but I guess he did not play it much.

I had a black Gibson V for years and I just never played it, just not my style and not comfortable to play. I sold it for a big loss when I got rid of it it was like new.

harddriver":35kfgnnl said:
I don't think you could go wrong with either a Greco or Edwards, they both have MSG V models. Not sure where the Dean is made I'm guessing China, if you just want a wall hanger the Dean will do but if you want a player go for the Greco or Edwards but I could be wrong without playing the Dean it is a bit unfair to judge it so based on the price.

I had an Edwards Les Paul and I liked it more than any Gibson LP I've owned through the years. My 1983 was a toneless boat anchor, a beautiful boat anchor I must say but still a toneless boat anchor. The Edwards quality is right up there. Michael's Black and White V was an ARIA guitar built in Japan, he had a black and white Gibson but I guess he did not play it much.

I had a black Gibson V for years and I just never played it, just not my style and not comfortable to play. I sold it for a big loss when I got rid of it it was like new.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely looking for a player that I can rip aggressively with. Love his vibrato and have been working on that wide aggressive style and tend to dig in a bit when I pick so I would prefer quality if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Yeah no Greco experience but every Edwards I have played or owned was fantastic and would have no hesitations.

Kapo_Polenton":2d51g4ad said:
So far I have had luck on anything ordered from Japan so I trust I will actually get it and most Japanese people seem to be too honourable to be fraudsters ( I know that seems funny but go to Japan and see how much order there is) but you never know.

Schenker is and has been huge in Japan compared to the states. They have had Schenker model V's since the early 80's. There was an Edwards Schenker V on Reverb looks like last year in the 800 dollar range. If you are patient one might show up here in North America. If not go with a trusted Japan seller. I have gotten stuff from Japan EMS in mere days compared to shipping in the US.

I think the Edwards is a more correct replica headsotckwise and if it has a JB in it and will be of higher quality than the Dean.

Back