I cant figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Dingleberries

So far each plugin I’ve tried sounds really thin and weak. Both Bias and S Gear. I think I’m running a decent enough preamp, I’m using a Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre via USB C connection on both ends. Is this normal, do they all sound this way, or am I doing something wrong? Reaxis looks promising, but the setup protocol is too convoluted for me to figure out at the moment. How do you get these to sound rich and full? I’m using an OD and Eventide H9 on the front end, and even those wont wake the tone up. I assume its some sort of user error on my part, as I’m new to Windows. Is there a trick to waking these plugins up and getting a fuller sound? Thank you in advance :confused:

Dingleberries":1xwwc1jm said:
So far each plugin I’ve tried sounds really thin and weak. Both Bias and S Gear. I think I’m running a decent enough preamp, I’m using a Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre via USB C connection on both ends. Is this normal, do they all sound this way, or am I doing something wrong? Reaxis looks promising, but the setup protocol is too convoluted for me to figure out at the moment. How do you get these to sound rich and full? I’m using an OD and Eventide H9 on the front end, and even those wont wake the tone up. I assume its some sort of user error on my part, as I’m new to Windows. Is there a trick to waking these plugins up and getting a fuller sound? Thank you in advance :confused:

Audio engineering degree ;)

I have been told that a properly built and treated room + very good monitors will make a huge difference.

If you figure it out let me know. FWIW I have tried dozens of plugins and the AX8 plug and play put them all to shame by a very large margin so I am convinced it is based on your mixing skills getting these plugins to sound decent.

maddnotez":2jmrmi5v said:
Dingleberries":2jmrmi5v said:

Audio engineering degree ;)

I have been told that a properly built and treated room + very good monitors will make a huge difference.

If you figure it out let me know. FWIW I have tried dozens of plugins and the AX8 plug and play put them all to shame by a very large margin so I am convinced it is based on your mixing skills getting these plugins to sound decent.

Thanks, but I’m using headphones, and quality ones at that.

Try some compression or a limiter on the "2" (Main channel strip).

Also, more often than not you'll need to EQ... simple hi/lo pass at the least.

Headphones may be the issue. IME guitars sound thin and weird without some type of “room reflections.” Try adding subtle delay and reverb. Not what you’d use to make the effects “audible” in the usual sense, but just a splash to make it seem like there’s a room. Or get some monitors and ditch the headphones.

Hopefully that helps.

Consider what adding a bass guitar will do. That's often where the magic happens--in the mix. Isolated, the guitar sound may sound thin, but throw in a bass guitar underneath it, and voila, you have great tone. Thick and and cutting.

If your ultimate goal is to create compositions with other instruments and perhaps vocals, each instrument needs to be tailored to fit the mix and edited in the context of the mix (i.e., don't try to find the perfect tone in isolation--you'll just end up chasing around your own tail with each instrument fighting for space in the mix).

Furthermore, these guitar amp/cab simulators and emulators tend to sound better in the context of a full mix (often indistinguishable from the "real thing" in this context).

Dingleberries":3ul115c5 said:

Can you post a clip or even just send me one in a PM? I’d like to hear what’s going on that you’re so unsatisfied with...

Can help you with the setup protocol for ReAxis if you’d like as well.

Steinmetzify":31co7kq7 said:
Dingleberries":31co7kq7 said:

Can you post a clip or even just send me one in a PM? I’d like to hear what’s going on that you’re so unsatisfied with...

I could definitely use some help getting Spark into Reaper

I got Bias running normally, but it still sounds anemic. I'm still pretty lost in regards to inserting Spark into Reaper, so I'm gonna try Cubase 9.5 Pro.

Dingleberries":2mz5vajs said:
Steinmetzify":2mz5vajs said:
Dingleberries":2mz5vajs said:

DB, I put this in one of you other threads...

After you install the plugin, go into Reaper and load the plugin into a channel. When the plugin displays, look in the lower left hand corner. There's a tiny button with a key on it. Click that. Then you have to get the activation key. Click that button. You may have to cut and paste your serial number on that screen as well. Hope this help.

Dave

dfrattaroli":11blrmah said:
Dingleberries":11blrmah said:
Steinmetzify":11blrmah said:
Dingleberries":11blrmah said:

After you install the plugin, go into Reaper and load the plugin into a channel. When the plugin displays, look in the lower left hand corner. There's a tiny button with a key on it. Click that. Then you have to get the activation key. Click that button. You may have to cut and paste your serial number on that screen as well. Hope this help.

Dave

Thank you very much, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to load the plugin to begin with, but I'll give iy another try.

Dingleberries":2bvh79sg said:
dfrattaroli":2bvh79sg said:
Steinmetzify":2bvh79sg said:

Dave

Thank you very much, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to load the plugin to begin with, but I'll give iy another try.

Ah understood. On any track, click the "FX" button and load it there. All the sims/plugins are loaded as FX in Reaper.

dfrattaroli":2ahndy38 said:
Dingleberries":2ahndy38 said:
dfrattaroli":2ahndy38 said:
Steinmetzify":2ahndy38 said:

Dave

Ah understood. On any track, click the "FX" button and load it there. All the sims/plugins are loaded as FX in Reaper.

Thank you very much, I'll give that a try.

dfrattaroli":1f9jkb3z said:
Dingleberries":1f9jkb3z said:
dfrattaroli":1f9jkb3z said:
Steinmetzify":1f9jkb3z said:

Dave

Thank you, I finaly got Spark installed, still working on adding FX

Back