Aphex Aural Exciter... awesome or outdated?

JohnSykes

So check out this video:

Lots of talking but some good insight, not sold on the whole "secret weapon" but it seems like its an interesting device.

The Yamaha chorus sounds pretty cool as well.

I remember when the Lee Jackson stuff was all the rage. I looked all over for a M1000 head. I'm actually glad I never picked one up. This video once again proves that a JCM800 with a boost is still the sound of hard rock and metal from that era. Great tones.

I have and use two Aphex units with Big Bottom....They're C2 units and, while I don't use them while profiling, I do when recording the amps or playing live with them....Just a good kick right where it counts!

Mattfig":37j26j90 said:
I have and use two Aphex units with Big Bottom....They're C2 units and, while I don't use them while profiling, I do when recording the amps or playing live with them....Just a good kick right where it counts!

Thanks.

Do you use them just for that 80s tone or are they usable for other stuff as well?

JohnSykes":34q0eejt said:
Mattfig":34q0eejt said:

Thanks.

Do you use them just for that 80s tone or are they usable for other stuff as well?

I use them for almost everything.... :yes:

I thought the Tinkertrain tone was a bit off but I am sold on Crazy Babies and Miracle man. I feel like the SD-1 was on for the rythms as well.

JohnSykes":19wvpkbs said:
So check out this video:

Lots of talking but some good insight, not sold on the whole "secret weapon" but it seems like its an interesting device.

The Yamaha chorus sounds pretty cool as well.

That was a great video!! Really enjoyed watching.

Can somebody tell me what DAW the Big Hairy Guitars Guy is using that allows him to I/O all that REAL outboard gear instead of plug ins ??? I have most of that stuff and would KILL to use it... anybody know ???

paulyc":3r0gbx6y said:
Can somebody tell me what DAW the Big Hairy Guitars Guy is using that allows him to I/O all that REAL outboard gear instead of plug ins ??? I have most of that stuff and would KILL to use it... anybody know ???
He has a vid that shows Apogees in his rack, They likely have DB25 analog outputs on the back that allow him to route ins/outs to the outboard stuff. You have to have a DB25 to XLR snake to connect it all. The Apogee Ensemble interface I got a few months ago has this as well, although I haven't used the DB25 side of it yet, its a great option if you have those items. You have to set up the routing in your DAW (mine is Logic) Logic allows you to set up a template for your tracks/routing so you dont have to do an hour of work to get everything where you want it, you just hit template and the whole DAW scene will come up automatically and your ready to go on another song. Cool stuff

Yeah, I think just about any DAW except Garageband can set up aux sends for outboard gear, just like every mixing board out there, and then it´s just a matter of having enough ins and outs on your interface to fit all the outboard units.

He's using Logic Pro X and 2 Apogee Symphony interfaces...total of SIXTY FUCKING FOUR analog ins and outs... brutal ! (AWESOME THOUGH)

JTyson":8t7grs8z said:
paulyc":8t7grs8z said:
He has a vid that shows Apogees in his rack, They likely have DB25 analog outputs on the back that allow him to route ins/outs to the outboard stuff. You have to have a DB25 to XLR snake to connect it all. The Apogee Ensemble interface I got a few months ago has this as well, although I haven't used the DB25 side of it yet, its a great option if you have those items. You have to set up the routing in your DAW (mine is Logic) Logic allows you to set up a template for your tracks/routing so you dont have to do an hour of work to get everything where you want it, you just hit template and the whole DAW scene will come up automatically and your ready to go on another song. Cool stuff

Thank you, very cool info. What's your computer setup ? PC or Mac ? I'm using a Mac mini with Thunderbolt and a small Scarlet interface right now, but I'm moving up to Apogee or something similar soon...what else has Thuderbolt compatibility and a good number of I/Os (like 32x32) ?

Dave L":1yshyk4o said:
Yeah, I think just about any DAW except Garageband can set up aux sends for outboard gear, just like every mixing board out there, and then it´s just a matter of having enough ins and outs on your interface to fit all the outboard units.
He's using 2 32x32 I/O units for a total of 64 I/Os, BUT he said he works on this stuff all day everyday, so the convenience is nice, BUT I guess you could use one 32x32 or a 24x24 or even an 8x8 with a patchbay IF you don't mind re-plugging gear... I could get by with 32x32, maybe even 24x24 with a patchbay...

You can also grab a 360 Systems AM16/B programmable patchbay for $100 on Ebay if you want to skip the re-plugging part. It´s a monster unit from the late 90s, the last heyday of big outboard systems.

I don't think big outboard systems have had a true heyday yet...plenty of pros still use real mixers and hardware, but the average project studio is probably all plug ins...

Yeah, for sure, outboards aren´t gone at all (and the high-end analog stuff like preamps, comps and EQs probably never will go away either) but it´s way different from twenty years ago. Most studios I know, big and small, have downsized a lot on the hardware.

Back