7 String Noob - Schecter Merrow vs ESP LTD Carpenter

Phil M

Long time guitarist but total 7 string noob ... I could use a hand.

What are some the better mid range options? The 2 in the title caught my eye but I’ll listen to all opinions. The guitar should be stage worthy but won’t get used much - most of the set will be a 6 string. I will buy used to save money and possibly re-sell.

I’d pick what scale length you want and the type of bridge and go from there. Schecter tends to use 26.5”. LTDs can be either 25.5” or 27”. Most Ibanez 7s are 25.5”. Longer scales will feel stiffer. And some folks go gaga over the Hipshot type bridge and hate tune-o-matics.

The Jackson Pro series 7 strings are worth looking at. The SL7Q and SL7 plus the Broderick models.

The Schecter Banshee Elite are also pretty damg good in my experience.

I think you might be right on scale length. Since 6 of the strings are tuned like a regular 6-string guitar, 25.5 would probably feel a lot more familiar compared with 26.5 and 27.

I can try to make the rounds this weekend but the local stores are generally slim pickings. Hopefully I can at least get my hands on a couple to get an idea.

Out of these two I would get the Schecter.

I would also look into a used prestige or 7620 (although the neck profile is uncomfortable to me)

The one cheaper brand I would stay away from is Agile. That is just my opinion, others love them but I thought mine felt cheap, was hard to play and did not sound good.

Sterling JP7 are pretty popular as well but I have not played one. I have only played a few 7's and out of them I liked the Ibanez best. The 7321 is very cheap and not all that great but was very comfortable.

I would still take the Schecter above all of these mentioned.

Edit: The LTD 417 was a fantastic player but I could not get past the headstock and the reason I would not pick the Stef is because I think it is ugly. If you like the looks of it that probably would be a good player as well.

just my 2 cents.

I've just bought the new PRS SE SVN for some really good coin.
After messing with the pickup height this is literally my go to 7 string. (better than my 1527 prestige which was an entirely different $ range)

at first I was like - i don't know man, let's see after a proper set up. But now i'm in love really!

K-Roll":tfkdvzfe said:
just my 2 cents.

After messing with the pickup height this is literally my go to 7 string. (better than my 1527 prestige which was an entirely different $ range)

at first I was like - i don't know man, let's see after a proper set up. But now i'm in love really!

Looks nice :rock:

I like the Merrow 7 strings, they have a great feel and play well. I like the hip shot bridge a lot on a 7 and the 26.5 scale, while definitely needing a little time to get used to, really suits the 7 and helps your strings flop around much less. Their sound is fairly specific and some people don’t like how it sounds through their rig (pickups plus the body wood) - it’s aggressive and modern sounding.

The two knocks on the Schecter Merrows would be that (1) the coil tap pot they have in their guitars suck. I’m not sure if they corrected the problem in the newer ones but within a year the pot will start to cut in and out so you’ll need to replace it. I’ve also heard people complain about the switch but I’ve not had any issues with mine.

(2) there will probably be minor cosmetic flaws / imperfections on your guitar related to the finish. Mine had some sort of spray that ended up on the pickups - nothing major but it has what looks to be like flecks of clear coat on the pickups in a couple spots, could also be little droplets of your too - we are talking maybe 4-5 pin-head sizes dots, but some people can’t have things like that on their guitar. For the blue one with the carbon fiber styled binding around the body I’ve seen the line of where it is supposed to end be slightly jagged in some spots and smooth in others. Just random small stuff like that

Another small ding on them would be their brand cases suck and it’s harder to find a good case that works with the longer neck.

Just some thoughts. If you’re buying used getting one of the Merrow schecters is a great deal at 500-700 I think.

Inearthed":k58mldo9 said:
(2) there will probably be minor cosmetic flaws / imperfections on your guitar related to the finish.

Just some thoughts. If you’re buying used getting one of the Merrow schecters is a great deal at 500-700 I think.

I am confident LTD will have far more and worse imperfections. I have gone through a few before giving up and is the main reason I would never buy a new LTD, used is a different story and I would expect those things.

Keep in mind a new Merrow model is coming soon, so prices on the existing models will probably drop even more once that happens.

K-Roll":19b3is80 said:
just my 2 cents.

I’ve been playing my Custom 24 more and more lately, not sure how I overlooked the SVN! Does it have locking tuners. It appears not, just double checking.

Oddly enough the only 7 string I have been able to keep out of the 3 I tried is my KM7 V1. Plays great and I cmactually love the baritone scale. I had a nice Ibanez and an ESP previously.

Jer, since everything but the Low B is tuned like a standard guitar, do you find the long scale makes the guitar difficult to play for leads and “regular” stuff ... basically when you’re not chunking away on low riffs?

Phil M":1fg5cyw5 said:
Jer, since everything but the Low B is tuned like a standard guitar, do you find the long scale makes the guitar difficult to play for leads and “regular” stuff ... basically when you’re not chunking away on low riffs?
Surprisingly not at all. I even bounce from it to my Les Paul no problem.

Phil M":2m09zdpo said:
K-Roll":2m09zdpo said:
just my 2 cents.

I’ve been playing my Custom 24 more and more lately, not sure how I overlooked the SVN! Does it have locking tuners. It appears not, just double checking.

nope unfortunately not :(

JerEvil":2dcdtlv8 said:
Phil M":2dcdtlv8 said:
Surprisingly not at all. I even bounce from it to my Les Paul no problem.

IME it’s mostly fine, but I have trouble with big bends that need a smooth vibrato. It’s just hard with these extended scales. Switching to 9s for the top strings seems to help, but the thin strings feel weird for riffing and legato work. It’s all a compromise.

Since I don’t care much for actives, I’m putting the idea of the Stephen Carpenter 7 on the shelf.

Most of the 7s I’ve seen touted are 26.5 or 27. It’s harder to find a 25.5 (although I know they must be out there).

These seem to be the top choices in my price range:

1. Schecter KM-7 (plenty of used version 1s)
2a. Schecter Banshee Elite 7 (haven’t found many used yet)
2b. LTD H-1007

Most Ibanez and most LTDs/E-II/ESP 7-strings are 25.5”. The MIJ stuff is nice and is about in the $1000 range.

I’m not a huge fan of actives either, but I just picked up an ESP Carpenter built in the Kiso shop, and it’s one of the nicest guitars I’ve ever had. But that would be more expensive than these.

Back