Ultimate Friedman style build

Head cab is in. Needs some face plates now!

34bfl3.jpg

nk9a6I.jpg

Noob question... for the Classic Tone power tranny are you just doing an artificial center tap for the 6.3v heaters and grounding it at the power supply star ground?

technomancer":2igoge7s said:
Noob question... for the Classic Tone power tranny are you just doing an artificial center tap for the 6.3v heaters and grounding it at the power supply star ground?

The first three valves are on 12vdc regulated headers. These are the ones most susceptible to picking up heater hum, and the smooth 12vdc makes that a non issue so no need for a center tap, or artificial center tap.

If I were not running dc heaters I would have made an artificial center tap, but ran it elevated instead of to ground.

SpiderWars":1lxy9lg2 said:
CrazyNutz":1lxy9lg2 said:
Head cab is in. Needs some clips now!
Fixed that for you. :yes:

Man, I was hoping the would be the case by now, I have a little more wiring to do. But I can't catch a break, I had to fix the pool pump/filter, and the AC condenser on my wife's car exploded so I had to fix that this weekend too. :doh:

CrazyNutz":ngz9p86z said:
technomancer":ngz9p86z said:

The first three valves are on 12vdc regulated headers. These are the ones most susceptible to picking up heater hum, and the smooth 12vdc makes that a non issue so no need for a center tap, or artificial center tap.

If I were not running dc heaters I would have made an artificial center tap, but ran it elevated instead of to ground.

Cool, thanks :thumbsup:

CrazyNutz":1f074gxg said:
SpiderWars":1f074gxg said:
CrazyNutz":1f074gxg said:
Head cab is in. Needs some clips now!
Fixed that for you. :yes:

Man, I was hoping the would be the case by now, I have a little more wiring to do. But I can't catch a break, I had to fix the pool pump/filter, and the AC condenser on my wife's car exploded so I had to fix that this weekend too. :doh:
Aack, I hate pools.

man, this is so freakin' cool. wish i had the knowhow to tackle an amp build, let alone one that seems this advanced. while i'm completely electronics inept, seeing the gut shots always gets my juices flowing.

white buffalo":bypnhmnl said:
man, this is so freakin' cool. wish i had the knowhow to tackle an amp build, let alone one that seems this advanced. while i'm completely electronics inept, seeing the gut shots always gets my juices flowing.

You can do it too. Get your feet wet on a plexi build, pretty easy, plenty of info out there.

CrazyNutz":2r2ga2kj said:
flimz":2r2ga2kj said:
Great work! Where did you get the head shell?

Robert @ http://www.valvestorm.com

He makes the chassis too. I'll be getting (hopefully) face plates from him as soon as he finds a new shop to do it, the old shop he was using closed down.

Ah that's a shame... I knew the place he was using went out but didn't know he hadn't found somebody new yet. Hoping to get faceplates for the project chassis from them if my build actually ends up working :LOL: :LOL:

fuzzyguitars":1ds0b8e9 said:
how about adding a variable negative feedback like in the be deluxe?

It pretty much has that, except its on a switch that switches between the 4ohm and 16ohm taps. I played around with the response type control on my other build, while it was cool, it's just another knob to keep track of, playing shows someone is bound to hit it. Also I prefer the sound of going directly to the taps and just use a 47k NFB resistor.

CrazyNutz":3gze927q said:

34bfl3.jpg

nk9a6I.jpg

I have had the most challenging issues trying to create a faceplate after the fact.

Hopefully there is a template or standard spacing to aid the reproduction.

Curious how you go about it.

BV

Purpletele":16lk993k said:
CrazyNutz":16lk993k said:

I have had the most challenging issues trying to create a faceplate after the fact.

BV

Normally I would not do it this way. But the chassis is made by valvestorm, and they are the ones making the faceplates too, so they are able to make sure everything lines up perfectly.

It's pretty awesome because all i did was take an image of the chassis and label the holes I'm using, Robert took it from there.

CrazyNutz":ii1ygk0f said:
Purpletele":ii1ygk0f said:
CrazyNutz":ii1ygk0f said:

BV

Normally I would not do it this way. But the chassis is made by valvestorm, and they are the ones making the faceplates too, so they are able to make sure everything lines up perfectly.

It's pretty awesome because all i did was take an image of the chassis and label the holes I'm using, Robert took it from there.

That is quite an impressive build.

There is a lot going on in that amp. Lately I have really been appreciating how reasonable most amps are cost wise when you realize how much time goes into building a quality amp.

Just wiring up a MV can take you 2 hours to get the parts ready with shielded wire and such.

I am GASSing for the 50 watt transformer set for sale, but after building about 10 amps the other half of me wants to buy a nice amp and then just play.

Back