Ultimate Friedman style build

CrazyNutz

So the goal here is to build a Friedman style 100w amp, while incorporating features/tones from BE100 (old/new), BE50 deluxe, JJ100, and Butterslax

Clean: Buxom Betty from BE50 deluxe

HBE: from BE50 Deluxe

BE: from BE100

NFB Selection switch from original BE100 2015 to 2016 >

Tight switch that adds the extra thump/depth cap from JJ100, and Butterslax

Thump control from BE50 Deluxe, and Butterslax

Updated Royal Mustard caps

Switch to select screen filtering 16uf/50uf (more into the Butterslax range)

UPDATE: Will also be adding SAT switch :)

2QdGjQ.jpg

nZ7c4Y.jpg

g4gz3H.jpg

ry2Kuy.jpg

:shocked:
This looks like a cool project!

A couple questions if you don't mind.....
You didn't mention diodes. Are you leaving out the SAT switch?
I could do without the FAT and the Voice switches on my BE, but I love the C45 and the Structure for the different levels of gain. You including those?
And what tranny's are you gonna use?
Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Keep us posted and good luck with the build :thumbsup:

fusedbrain":1kj90vj8 said:

Haha, I figured that was going to come up. I initially was going to leave out the SAT switch because I never really cared for it, But I'm reconsidering now, I'll probably add it.

fusedbrain":1kj90vj8 said:

Output: Heyboer c1998
Choke: Mercury Magnetics 7H jtm45
Power: Classic Tone 40-18069 (Project Style)

Very cool project. I would add the sat just to use when dialing in JJ style sounds. I've had 2015 and 2016 BE100s and a JJ100 and the JJ sat mode (labeled JBE) was the only one I cared for.... though I believe the JJ sat also kicks in an additional cap. Been a while since I looks at the schems lol

Build looks great. Those new synergy Royals do resemble Mustards with the rounded epoxy ends and all.

What is the the giant heat sink being used for on the power board? Is there that much heat build up going on that you need to pull it out?

technomancer":e0bn9frq said:
Very cool project. I would add the sat just to use when dialing in JJ style sounds. I've had 2015 and 2016 BE100s and a JJ100 and the JJ sat mode (labeled JBE) was the only one I cared for.... though I believe the JJ sat also kicks in an additional cap. Been a while since I looks at the schems lol

Thanks.

The JJ SAT when engaged removes the VH cap (470uf on the cathode of the first half of the cath follower stage) The JJ also Lacks the 500pf to ground right before the tone stack. My voice switch will be a three way switch. To get JJ SAT sounds setting my voice switch to the center position, and flipping the SAT switch will get that tone. Oh, and hitting the tight switch that will be next to the Thump control, this adds the extra 0.0022uf cap.

harddriver":21nn6fmm said:
Build looks great. Those new synergy Royals do resemble Mustards with the rounded epoxy ends and all.

What is the the giant heat sink being used for on the power board? Is there that much heat build up going on that you need to pull it out?

Yeah, they do, some however do not have the rounded ends on all sides. You can tell it's probably somewhat of a PITA for the manufacture to do that, as the have to overflow the epoxy to get that look.

The heat sink is for the 7812 linear voltage regulator. That regulator provides power to the switching, and also powers 12vdc heaters for v1, v2, and v3.

CrazyNutz":ptvpjw1p said:
technomancer":ptvpjw1p said:

Thanks.

The JJ SAT when engaged removes the VH cap (470uf on the cathode of the first half of the cath follower stage) The JJ also Lacks the 500pf to ground right before the tone stack. My voice switch will be a three way switch. To get JJ SAT sounds setting my voice switch to the center position, and flipping the SAT switch will get that tone. Oh, and hitting the tight switch that will be next to the Thump control, this adds the extra 0.0022uf cap.

That should be crazy versatile :thumbsup:

paulyc":s7dj3ckd said:
Care to build one for a potential customer ? Wow is that sexy !

I build mainly for hobby, however I do build a few custom amps from time to time for local artist's, and do mods, etc.

I'm not really interested in building amps for sell, not enough profit in it for me :) However, If I were to build you one, out of respect I would need Dave's permission.

CrazyNutz":skhiksct said:
fusedbrain":skhiksct said:

Haha, I figured that was going to come up. I initially was going to leave out the SAT switch because I never really cared for it, But I'm reconsidering now, I'll probably add it.

fusedbrain":skhiksct said:

Cool project.

Why not add the saturation switches in a different location ala Cameron. The Friedman location makes the amp sound dull and lifeless... which is why lots of people say the never use it.

psychodave":2c5er0w9 said:
. The Friedman location makes the amp sound dull and lifeless... which is why lots of people say the never use it.

My problem with it is it gives the amp a stiffer feel(compared to the hbe channel)....never use it.

psychodave":2x1ed4ws said:
CrazyNutz":2x1ed4ws said:
fusedbrain":2x1ed4ws said:

fusedbrain":2x1ed4ws said:

Cool project.

Why not add the saturation switches in a different location ala Cameron. The Friedman location makes the amp sound dull and lifeless... which is why lots of people say the never use it.
This would be a good idea.

psychodave":1dcbfz10 said:
Cool project.

Yeah, I agree the SAT clipping is not something I like on Friedman amps. But there is a way to fix it to make it sound killer, get rid of the darkness, very CCV like. If you use the Cameron style depth circuit. Scott stumbled on to that one.

Tossed around the idea of making the "SAT" switch a "Cameron" switch instead. Flip it on, and it engages the diodes, and changes the depth circuit over to CCV style.

CrazyNutz":17yv16p2 said:
psychodave":17yv16p2 said:
Cool project.

Yeah, I agree the SAT clipping is not something I like on Friedman amps. But there is a way to fix it to make it sound killer, get rid of the darkness, very CCV like. If you use the Cameron style depth circuit. Scott stumbled on to that one.

Tossed around the idea of making the "SAT" switch a "Cameron" switch instead. Flip it on, and it engages the diodes, and changes the depth circuit over to CCV style.

So many options to try. Friedman amps have that core sound most of us love. Everything else is more like icing on the cake. Vanilla, chocolate, etc.

CrazyNutz":1n1fh0vy said:
psychodave":1n1fh0vy said:
Cool project.

I totally agree with this. I don't like what the SAT switch does at the moment, but I"m very new to this feature on my amp and Friedmans in general; I was surprised as I thought it would make it more aggressive and keep it open, but it doesn't. I feel it softens the sound too much. When I hear other clips of the BE100 with the SAT switch, it still sounds great to me in clips. So, it could be user error on my end. ...Still, I LOVE my Friedman!!

Back