New Production 12AX7s - Which Are the Best ??

Racerxrated":1zuq0lyf said:
Just want to add that even at 20 bucks a tube, for the tested 6n4 that guys are reselling, that's still worth it for the tone you get.
Easily worth it. Some NOS tubes don't sound as good as these, and you pay a crap ton more for those.

These are chinese military tubes, so I don't think that the extra testing is really necessary.

Racerxrated":oq36zj7d said:
Just want to add that even at 20 bucks a tube, for the tested 6n4 that guys are reselling, that's still worth it for the tone you get.
Easily worth it. Some NOS tubes don't sound as good as these, and you pay a crap ton more for those.

Where have you found is the best store to get them from?

ibzprestige":2imyxvbd said:
Racerxrated":2imyxvbd said:

Where have you found is the best store to get them from?
I just go to Aliexpress, and search 6n4...there's a couple different vendors that I've bought from, I'd have to look back to previous purchases to list the specific vendors. Honestly I should pay attention more...but I've had good luck with a few different ones. Usually show up within 2 weeks.

I have just returned to Tubes after 12-15 years using modeling pre amps. I just can't believe how much warmer, crunchier and just plain nasty tubes sound compared to the solid state stuff out there. I found a H&K Access pre amp here and purchased because it has all the features I need, multiple FX loops, monitoring, line outs and most of all MIDI control. Not bad considering it's over 25 years old!

So anyway. . . . . I asked the original owner if it had ever been re-tubed and he said he had not since he originally purchased it. I know from my Marshall days that re-tubing is something you do not have to do that often (tubes generally last 15-20 years) unless there is a major issue. So this pre is most likely due and since I'll be switching it to my full time rig, I want to hear the difference between new and old tubes.

I was reading a lot of different tube comparisons and finally found a website (https://www.tubesforamps.com) that sells a 3 pack of popular modern tubes which is perfect for me as I get to try the latest versions of the most common re-tube offerings. Since the V1 position is the only tube I really need to listen for I'm going to try each of the tubes in the set in the V1 position and with a new Tung-Sol 12ax7 in the V2. Once there in I'll come back and let you guys know what I get and how they sound.

The set includes:

1 x Mullard 12AX7
1 x Shuguang 12AX7B Silver Dragon
1 x TungSol 12AX7

$50.00 for the set, including FedEx shipping.

critter cam":2dohy9ps said:
My favorites are the JJ ECC83S and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. I haven't tried the new Tung Sol 12AX7 yet. But I've heard they have a higher gain than their Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

I just bought new JJ's and Tung Sol's for my DRRI. I did a Genalex rectifier, JJ 6V6's, JJ's in the 12AT7 slots and Tung Sol's in the gain stages. I swapped the gain stages with JJ's just to try. I'm not a big tube roller and I don't always here the very subtle differences others can hear, but I was surprised at the difference. Both sound good. Tung Sol's were warmer and rounder, JJ's had more bite and hair with more top end.

HellraiserJohnny":1llwcye0 said:
I was reading a lot of different tube comparisons and finally found a website (https://www.tubesforamps.com) that sells a 3 pack of popular modern tubes which is perfect for me as I get to try the latest versions of the most common re-tube offerings. Since the V1 position is the only tube I really need to listen for I'm going to try each of the tubes in the set in the V1 position and with a new Tung-Sol 12ax7 in the V2. Once there in I'll come back and let you guys know what I get and how they sound.

The set includes:

1 x Mullard 12AX7
1 x Shuguang 12AX7B Silver Dragon
1 x TungSol 12AX7

$50.00 for the set, including FedEx shipping.

Let me know how these turn out. I am good on tubes at the moment but it would be nice to have this set on hand.

HellraiserJohnny, I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the differences between those 3 tubes. They are pretty different from each other, but all are a good choice, IMHO, and a good place to start.

ewill52, yeah, it really surprised me, too, when I started revisiting the differences between new production 12AX7s. Tung Sols are warmer and rounder. They work great in some positions, but not always. What's really surprised me the most, I think, are the current Chinese tubes. Most have the bite of the JJs, but with a lot more body and not quite as harsh. So much of this depends on the circuit they're in, too, though. FWIW, I ended up with some NOS GE & RCA in my DRRI, otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd have Tung Sols in there.

Bloodrock":nxekkt0t said:
Unless you’re cranking a vintage plexi, modern tubes all sound about the same. Especially in modern high gain amps that are just 100 stages of preamp gain. Most all 12ax7’s will sound the same with a tiny tweak of the knobs... Power tubes? Just buy what’s cheap and lasts in your amp, you aren’t hearing any work from the power tubes in modern high gainers.
That's simply not true. All tubes sound different to me. And I have two high gain Marshalls. And a 100 watt master volume Marshall. My favorite preamp tubes are the JJ ECC83S, the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the Tung-Sol 12AX7. These give me more distortion and overdrive. My favorite power tubes are the regular JJ EL34. The new Svetlanas aren't bad either. The Ruby EL34 BSTR sounded good. But it shorted out after about two hours of play so I won't buy them again. I'm looking forward to buying the new JJ E83CC. I hear they may sound really good.

critter cam":2gg1vwky said:
Bloodrock":2gg1vwky said:
Unless you’re cranking a vintage plexi, modern tubes all sound about the same. Especially in modern high gain amps that are just 100 stages of preamp gain. Most all 12ax7’s will sound the same with a tiny tweak of the knobs... Power tubes? Just buy what’s cheap and lasts in your amp, you aren’t hearing any work from the power tubes in modern high gainers.
That's simply not true. All tubes sound different to me. And I have two high gain Marshalls. And a 100 watt master volume Marshall. My favorite preamp tubes are the JJ ECC83S, the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the Tung-Sol 12AX7. These give me more distortion and overdrive. My favorite power tubes are the regular JJ EL34. The new Svetlanas aren't bad either. The Ruby EL34 BSTR sounded good. But it shorted out after about two hours of play so I won't buy them again. I'm looking forward to buying the new JJ E83CC. I hear they may sound really good.
I've found that ANY vintage amp, 20yrs old or more, reacts better with older glass. But a newer production amp, 5153 or 2555x for instance, aren't as picky as the older amps are.

tlingen":qo5o34kw said:
ChurchHill":qo5o34kw said:
phil b":qo5o34kw said:
I read on here actually about the Shuguang Silver Dragons which are a 12AX7B tube with a shiny silver cap.
Where did you find the Silver Dragons? I'd heard about those, but didn't see them from any of my usual sources. Definitely sounds like something I'd like to check out!

From what I've heard, you're right that some of the Rubys are Shuguang and some are JJs.

Here are the SHUGUANG 12AX7B SILVER DRAGONS....

https://www.tubesforamps.com/products/12ax7-ecc83-7025/shuguang-12ax7b-silver-dragon
Thanks for this info..i love the 12ax7B's..run them in my EVH 5150 3 and PV 5150.

Back