Axe Efx 3??

glpg80":tih5yq87 said:
Beandust":tih5yq87 said:
Can't remove or post it? I simply would like to hear it if it is something the human ear can detect. I see tons of post and no proof. At some point it needs to be posted or the thread should end if there is no evidence.. Kind of like that bigfoot thing after a while

Here's an example that I can find. Not only is it over-accentuated to the point that it sounds like a pinch harmonic, but it's even on parts of his alternate picking on the chugging which is NOT where that effect should be showing. It's all over this entire video :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Wow! At 0:46-:047. Something when he was between chords/strums! It was weird once I heard it I couldn't miss it. now if it's his settings or gain levels causing that. That's weird. I stand corrected!!! It ain't no bigfoot myth. Is it the same regardless of power amp choice, IRs ,

My personal thoughts is that it is a by product of Direct recording .I hear it in the Synergy Direct clips and the Two Notes stuff as well which means its likely somewhere in the cab irs and sims

That Mark IV is all direct although there is a cab in the room for monitoring.

Beandust":36k8bkot said:
glpg80":36k8bkot said:
Beandust":36k8bkot said:
Can't remove or post it? I simply would like to hear it if it is something the human ear can detect. I see tons of post and no proof. At some point it needs to be posted or the thread should end if there is no evidence.. Kind of like that bigfoot thing after a while

Here's an example that I can find. Not only is it over-accentuated to the point that it sounds like a pinch harmonic, but it's even on parts of his alternate picking on the chugging which is NOT where that effect should be showing. It's all over this entire video :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Wow! At 0:46-:047. Something when he was between chords/strums! It was weird once I heard it I couldn't miss it. now if it's his settings or gain levels causing that. That's weird. I stand corrected!!! It ain't no bigfoot myth. Is it the same regardless of power amp choice, IRs ,

there is no power amp this is direct

What I am hearing is string noise .I don't believe its coming off the pick as much as his left hand sliding up , for whatever the direct recording to me seem to really pick that up ,especially on bright tones

gtr31":3615frc5 said:

What I am hearing is string noise .I don't believe its coming off the pick as much as his left hand sliding up , for whatever the direct recording to me seem to really pick that up ,especially on bright tones

Call it whatever you like - none of my tube amps do that annoying sound regardless of the guitar or pick that I use.

marshall2553":1zdklunm said:
cliffc8488":1zdklunm said:
marshall2553":1zdklunm said:
Real amps do it when they are LOUD because everything is compressing more.
This may be why it seems more pronounced to me on the Axe than my real amps. I almost always have the master volume a bit higher on the model than I do on the real amp.

I also find turning off the bright switch on the amp makes the pick noise way less noticeable also.

Basically, any high frequency content that enters the amp, and any compression that exists in the amp, is going to make the pick attack more noticeable. Reduce your highs before the amp, and the compression, and it will be fine.

Honestly, I dont see the big deal. I have watched the posted videos, and I have been dialing in my own Axe-FX. It doesn't sound any worse than my own tube amps with a Tubescreamer in front of them.

I also agree that the direct recorded sounds do bring it out more....... because usually direct recording brings out more highs and upper mids than normal.

glpg80":rgnhiy09 said:
gtr31":rgnhiy09 said:

Call it whatever you like - none of my tube amps do that annoying sound regardless of the guitar or pick that I use.

I would wager that if you got down on the floor in front of your cab ,turned down the volume not to blow off your head and cranked up the Treble , Pres into a V30 you would hear some of it
the tighter and more percussive the amp ,the more string noise it seems to have to me, VHT is a good example , they are hair trigger tight, have a ton of attack and that sometimes translates to that scratchy
chirp. . as for Axe Fx .the pick dynamics parameter is probably a good one to soften the attack

glpg80":2a9mhxbf said:
gtr31":2a9mhxbf said:

Real amp chirping away just like the video of the axe fx you posted. I have a III(and have had the II as well) and it never bothered me because it sounded the same as all the other high end amps Ive had as well :confused:

lessthan12":1hp0vg9h said:
Real amp chirping away just like the video of the axe fx you posted. I have a III(and have had the II as well) and it never bothered me because it sounded the same as all the other high end amps Ive had as well :confused:

There isn't "chirp" on anything in that video. Not sure what you're hearing, but everything in that video sounded sonically correct.

Cliff admits he attempted to add the effect on purpose and said it's user error as to why it occurs. It deals with gain and master volume.

This is a great thing - it means (hopefully) in future revisions it can be taken out completely or controlled in a more reasonable manner.

I was ASKED by the OP as to why I did not want an AxFx II or III for recording. I replied with what my ears hear and why I do not want a fractal anything for DI/modeling/recording.

I run tube amplifiers - I'm just pointing out what I hear in the product. As always, YMMV, FWIW, IMHO, etc.

BYTOR":1s316xmh said:
How can you stand all the 'Chirp' in these tones :LOL: :LOL:

His chirps sound better than mine :cry: :LOL: :LOL:

See this guy also has nothing in his vids which proves Cliff's point - strictly user error.

And this also brings home my point - I prefer knobs and simplicity. I'd likely throw an AxFx against the wall if something I did by accident wasn't easily modifiable when trying to sonically get rid of it.

glpg80":3hg8r27w said:
BYTOR":3hg8r27w said:
How can you stand all the 'Chirp' in these tones :LOL: :LOL:

His chirps sound better than mine :cry: :LOL: :LOL:

See this guy also has nothing in his vids which proves Cliff's point - strictly user error.

And this also brings home my point - I prefer knobs and simplicity. I'd likely throw an AxFx against the wall if something I did by accident wasn't easily modifiable when trying to sonically get rid of it.

:LOL: :LOL: I hear ya.......Rocco has shared many of his presets over the years for free. He now sells them for about $5 each. You could easily study the presets he uses in those vids & you'd have no more 'Chirp' problem :thumbsup:

BYTOR":3pw34ww8 said:
Neal Schon's new AFXIII rig for upcoming tour. One of the III's is a backup. So the AFXIII replaces all those AFX2's on the right, plus 10 stompboxes and a rack wah.

Neal don't hear no annoying 'Chirp' :LOL: :LOL:

img_20180421_150558_862-jpg.46377

dead image link of said rig :aww:

Well, after much toiling and suffrage...
I can hear it at times, but not really all the time. Ive heard it it some of my fav amps too, in all honesty. Some guys who go deep into the fractal black hole have figured out how to not have it on everything, but where they want it. Not sure if I have the patience to go there, but I'd be willing to try to have those effects at my disposal..
So I'm still comparing the AX3 to the Kemper... I have a friend who's gonna bring over a Kemper to race test with my power amp and cabs, I dont have that luxury with the AX3, but Ive heard some very convincing clips of similar setups..
(sigh)
:confused:

gtr31":1yar9oag said:
Beandust":1yar9oag said:
glpg80":1yar9oag said:
Beandust":1yar9oag said:

That's exactly what I was going to say. I just hear string noise as you would when you move up the frets.

gtr31":2zqtnkm5 said:
Beandust":2zqtnkm5 said:
glpg80":2zqtnkm5 said:
Beandust":2zqtnkm5 said:

That's exactly what I was going to say. I just hear string noise as you would when you move up the frets.

JTyson":1ck7f7r9 said:
Well, after much toiling and suffrage...
I can hear it at times, but not really all the time. Ive heard it it some of my fav amps too, in all honesty. Some guys who go deep into the fractal black hole have figured out how to not have it on everything, but where they want it. Not sure if I have the patience to go there, but I'd be willing to try to have those effects at my disposal..
So I'm still comparing the AX3 to the Kemper... I have a friend who's gonna bring over a Kemper to race test with my power amp and cabs, I dont have that luxury with the AX3, but Ive heard some very convincing clips of similar setups..
(sigh)
:confused:

This was a problem I've heard with modelers for years, I'm just surprised no one else has brought it up before now.

I almost regret telling you, and letting you be happy :LOL: :LOL:

If Cliff made a CHIRP SENSITIVITY: 0-100% setting, I'd be getting an AFX3 no doubt. I just do not personally have the patience to muck with gain, master volume, dynamic pick range, and a slew of other settings not mentioned to change something like this. The AFX3 was supposed to offer a more intuitive UI over the AFX2 as one of the primary fixes.

And before Cliff is aimed at getting double barrels on this, Boss is just as guilty if not more. I've heard it on their big name processors as well, but haven't listened to the new GT1000 yet.

romanianreaper":1s4t6wk8 said:
gtr31":1s4t6wk8 said:
Beandust":1s4t6wk8 said:
glpg80":1s4t6wk8 said:
Beandust":1s4t6wk8 said:

For $2500 bucks and he posted that video obviously it's a premier sound. His playing is good so he isn't no hack nor is it a hack job the way he has set up the preset. It's a reality ,it exist. Its solid state compressed and gained to death so please let's leave Neal Schon and Vai and anyone else out of this conversation.. endorsements can say whatever whenever and do whatever with the rig as they choose. It's amazing people are selling these for a premium of 3500 dollars and people are beating off thinking about it shipping. To each his own. I don't have a dog in this fight but reality is that's a compressed glitch at :046/47. I am glad i don't argue which is better amps or this. Play what you enjoy. No disrespect to anyone getting wood to the axiii, ii or any fractal product it's not for me. To all who love them I am happy for you. Keep on rocking!

Beandust":1gvgzaaq said:
please let's leave Neal Schon and Vai and anyone else out of this conversation.. endorsements can say whatever whenever and do whatever with the rig as they choose

Fractal endorses no one.....artists pay for their units.

Back