Boutique Seymour Duncan Distortion ?

rickenbacker198":10p7ajjq said:
Zado":10p7ajjq said:
People complain about the JB cause very few know how to weak it properly.

That said, you could try the Schecter Sunset Strip, ceramic, tight, articulate, very interesting for superstrats.

Please enlighten, how do you weak the JB properly ?
The shortest but most proper reply would be "by ear". Cause it really depends on your guitar, amp and sound preferences.

That said, a good place to start could be this one

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/s ... p?t=318398

I used to hate that pickup, it sounded muddy and unarticulate no matter what amp setup or guitar pots I used, it was just bad.
Adjusting the poles made a huge difference. Degaussing the magnet helped as well.

Shask":1mgn89bh said:
D-Rock":1mgn89bh said:
SD Black Winter is like a Duncan Distortion with better mids and dynamics. Might get a little sharp in the highs with a superstrat though...

The Black Winters became one of my favorite Duncans quickly. I do kind of think of them like improved Distortions, with a mix of improved Invader. They are kind of bland in a way, but that is because they dont have any annoying qualities like almost all others have. They have a good solid base tone to work with.

My experience as well. I think that it’s a little mis-marketed, and balanced enough for different styles, but hot enough for brutal stuff. From the one I had in my jackson, it sounded like a distortion/JB with a very slight hpf/lpf.

paulyc":110az1g8 said:
I hope my post didn't come off like I was giving you shit about it, I was just pointing out that angle. The DD is my favorite pickup, it works for me.

I have a kind of bad attitude about boutique gear...it amazes me the number of choices we have as guitar players, but at some point it's time to stop obsessing over the smallest details and play the damn guitar, most of our heroes recorded their landmark tunes and tones with off the shelf gear and if it was good enough for them... I get that it's fun to tone chase and obsess over it all, but I know I wasted a lot of time on it. Pickups, pedals and speakers (IMO) are 3 areas I just kind of refuse to go boutique with, NOT saying what others should do, that's just my position.

Nope not at all I get it, Im down to Gtr>cable>Amp no pedals so little changes can make a difference when it comes to pickups. I agree 100% more "Mel Bay and less Ebay!!" just play the damn gtr. But I do like to mix it up and force myself in a different direction. Did this recently with picks and its amazing how much better my technique is getting by a simple change that was clearly overdue...

Still leaning towards the DSH+ than possibly an Anderson...

Isn't the Distortion literally a JB with a ceramic magnet? I had a Distortion in one of my guitars but didn't like it. Kind of bright and fizzy or greasy sounding. I really like the Nazgul though. And the Omega.

FourT6and2":1kna1z0r said:
Isn't the Distortion literally a JB with a ceramic magnet? I had a Distortion in one of my guitars but didn't like it. Kind of bright and fizzy or greasy sounding. I really like the Nazgul though. And the Omega.
Some say it is, but those who have made a magnet swap confirmed they're not quite the same. Different wind apparently.

Back