Bourns pots!!!

Jeff Hilligan

500k not the vh version just a good one.
Amazon buy very inexpensive....wow huge huge improvement!

Ok move along

Would you mind elaborating as to why you prefer the Bourns pots? Do they make your pickups sound better? or is it simply how they feel when you turn them? What pots did you use before? Thanks.

acalaf":1ez8lefn said:
Would you mind elaborating as to why you prefer the Bourns pots? Do they make your pickups sound better? or is it simply how they feel when you turn them? What pots did you use before? Thanks.

Smoother feel, better tolerances, longer lifespan.

glpg80":2n8chlh3 said:
psychodave":2n8chlh3 said:
I use the Bourns 82 pots. Expensive, but have tight tolerance and feel great.

Curious as to your opinion on CTS vs Bourns?

I bought some CTS pots on my guitar tech's recommendation. They are so effing stiff, I needed a larger diameter knob to be able to use it the way I was used to doing. Bourns for me all the way now.

Rick Lee":etht0xco said:
glpg80":etht0xco said:
psychodave":etht0xco said:

I bought some CTS pots on my guitar tech's recommendation. They are so effing stiff, I needed a larger diameter knob to be able to use it the way I was used to doing. Bourns for me all the way now.

That blows - I've always been curious as to how they felt but never remember to order them specifically when I do need one. Thanks!

They are beyond smooth. Seems to also have a better sound on the 1-10 for rolling off. Gave me a great ability to cut high end with my tone knob due to it's precision.

glpg80":17aul3p2 said:
psychodave":17aul3p2 said:

Tough call since I really like CTS pots. I will say that about 10 years ago I bought a ton of old CTS pots from 1996 that had the center guide pin through the back and the red carbon board. They are some of the best pots I’ve ever owned. All tight tolerances and slightly stiff feel.

I like the Bourne’s since they never get scratchy from use or dirt.

My 2016 charvels CTS pot has gotten scratchy recently from home use. I sprayed it out with paper towel surrounding it and lots of garbage came out. :aww: I couldn’t confirm if it was all carbon or metal from the pot shaft entering the pot. Either way, I’ve never had this issue with Bourne’s.

I love Bourns pots. I have to have low friction to do the volume knob magic I usually do. Pots with a lot of drag suck for live use IMO.

psychodave":3o7omnii said:
Just installed one of these in a guitar this weekend. I like it a lot. Almost as loose as the low friction/EVH but imo feel better and I like the sweep better, swells seem easier. Way more conducive to fast Cathedral-type swells.

They are expensive but it should only hurt once.

SpiderWars":18b5oi37 said:
psychodave":18b5oi37 said:
Just installed one of these in a guitar this weekend. I like it a lot. Almost as loose as the low friction/EVH but imo feel better and I like the sweep better, swells seem easier. Way more conducive to fast Cathedral-type swells.

They are expensive but it should only hurt once.

I’ve read that people have used them for 30 years without issue. :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

CTS are nice but they are hit and miss.
Nice to hear people are digging Bourns pots. Might have to give them a try.

I have been using the Bourns Pro Audio pots for close to 2 years now,I am a big fan of the Seymour Duncan pots by Bourns since they came out,but I saw a deal for 3 Bourns Pro Audio 500K pots for $10 with free shipping and figured "why not" ? I have them in 3 of my 5 guitars now and a big fan now for sure.These have a nice even slight tension feel from volume up to down with no scratchiness ever.I bought a nice condition Schecter Blackjack 6 stringer,and when I get any used guitar I always lube the pots with Deoxit,and the volume pot on the Schecter never loosened up so out with that pot,in with the Bourns,huge difference.My favorite pots now with the Duncans a close second.

Back