Fane Ascension F90 and speaker & diezel questions

braintheory":39faf217 said:
fearhk213":39faf217 said:
mhenson42":39faf217 said:
fearhk213":39faf217 said:
I haven't played them, but I spoke to a Fane distributor about the F90 a while back. He actually recommended NOT putting the F90 in a front loaded cab. He said the F90 was pretty bright and that unless you liked pretty bright tones or had a dark amp, the tone could get a bit over bearing in the top end.

I think this is the guy you are referring to. I found this quote on TGP.

Everything is different, except for the frame. The F90 has a glass fibre VC former, stiffer spider, different edge treatment, etc. The F70 has a more vintage tone, like the original cast-frame Fane drivers from the early '70's. The F90 is more "modern" sounding with more low-end and more pronounced high end. The F70 sounds great in any cabinet, whereas the F90 is best in an Iso box application, combo or in a vintage rear-mounted 412. It doesn't like super air-tight front mount cabinets.
It was a while back so I don't recall his name, but that could very well be him. Makes me want to slap some F90's in my Kerry Wright cab to see if it turns that vintage style cab into a metal beast lol.
What do you have now in your Kerry wright? I have a Kerry wright 4x12 that came with 65’s, but they weren’t to my taste, so it’s at my tech now getting swapped with a cross of v30’s and h75’s, so I’m curious that’ll be
I have a quad of 16ohm u.k. v30's in one and a quad of 8ohm u.k. mesa v30's in the other. I've had g12t75 x v30 in x-pattern in the past. I haven't tried anything else in them, but I want to.

Thanks for the feedback with the KSR.
General consensus seems to be H75 with KSR.
My take from reading various threads & your input is they just seem to gel.

Although I’m after something less “relaxed” than the Scums, the Fanes might be just a touch to much.
You may have tipped the scales back in favor of the H75’s.
More research needed tho.

I appreciate the input :thumbsup:

philnz":17w5rvyk said:

Although I’m after something less “relaxed” than the Scums, the Fanes might be just a touch to much.

One thing about the Gemini though, no matter the speaker I think it’s always sounded better through a front loaded cab compared to a rear loaded cab .

mhenson42":28glt0ww said:
philnz":28glt0ww said:

One thing about the Gemini though, no matter the speaker I think it’s always sounded better through a front loaded cab compared to a rear loaded cab .

Good to know.
Have a feeling KSR cabs are front loaded.
I’ll send Kyle an email & discuss further.
Thanks

I have both.

F90 is flat, modern, somewhat dry. Very good for modern metal. Similar to eminence em12.
F70 is more rounded, more traditional. Similar to celestion g12m-65 creamback.

mhenson42":3kzghdon said:
EvilBatman":3kzghdon said:
I vote you try the new Fanes in the Diezel cab before they make their way to the Wizard cab. It would be a great comparison between the two front loaded cabs and to see how construction and materials affect the tone.

I may just do that. I am going to be out of town next weekend so I’ll probably order the Fanes so that they arrive next week and I will do it the following weekend.

Since the Diezel cab is stereo, I was lazy and only loaded 2 of the F70s in one side. That way I could go back an forth between 2 H75s and 2 F70s. Ultimately, I preferred the H75s with the Herbert and KSR and decided to keep all H75s in the Diezel cab. The F70s went into my Wizard cab. In the Diezel cab, the H75s were brighter and have a more grinding tone compared to the F70s which were a littler darker and more smooth and clear. The F70s w. I think the H75s work better with the Diezel as it is a darker amp. I put the quad of F70s in the wizard cab and played it with my MTL. I like these speakers a lot with the Wizard, which can be a very bright amp.

Using the stereo aspect of the Fryette cab to only play 2 speakers, I still preferred the Fryette cab with Fanes over the Diezel cab with Fanes. That could be due to the size difference in the cab and interior construction. The speakers seem brighter and more punchy in the Fryette cab.

mhenson42":1haqm4sw said:
mhenson42":1haqm4sw said:
EvilBatman":1haqm4sw said:
I vote you try the new Fanes in the Diezel cab before they make their way to the Wizard cab. It would be a great comparison between the two front loaded cabs and to see how construction and materials affect the tone.

I may just do that. I am going to be out of town next weekend so I’ll probably order the Fanes so that they arrive next week and I will do it the following weekend.

Since the Diezel cab is stereo, I was lazy and only loaded 2 of the F70s in one side. That way I could go back an forth between 2 H75s and 2 F70s. Ultimately, I preferred the H75s with the Herbert and KSR and decided to keep all H75s in the Diezel cab. The F70s went into my Wizard cab. In the Diezel cab, the H75s were brighter and have a more grinding tone compared to the F70s which were a littler darker and more smooth and clear. The F70s w. I think the H75s work better with the Diezel as it is a darker amp. I put the quad of F70s in the wizard cab and played it with my MTL. I like these speakers a lot with the Wizard, which can be a very bright amp.

Using the stereo aspect of the Fryette cab to only play 2 speakers, I still preferred the Fryette cab with Fanes over the Diezel cab with Fanes. That could be due to the size difference in the cab and interior construction. The speakers seem brighter and more punchy in the Fryette cab.

Are the Fanes in the Fryette cab the regular F70 speakers or the Fryette F70G? I remember reading somewhere that they're different and that Steven wasn't happy in full yet with the F90s and they were still tweaking a custom version of the speaker for Fryette.

stephen sawall":dy9gukqi said:
What cab and speaker are you using with your UL mhenson42 ?

I have a Fryette Fat Bottom cab with the Fane F70G speakers. I love it. Sounds incredible with every amp I've played with it. I took a chance when I bought it because I really hated the p50e speakers I had in a different FB cab. Still would like to try the F90s at some point.

EvilBatman":dy9gukqi said:
Are the Fanes in the Fryette cab the regular F70 speakers or the Fryette F70G? I remember reading somewhere that they're different and that Steven wasn't happy in full yet with the F90s and they were still tweaking a custom version of the speaker for Fryette.

Fryette has the designation F70G. I got these F70 speakers from Avatar - who is the U.S. distributor. I don't know what the difference is supposed to be. They do sound a little different in the diezel cab(F70) vs. the FB cab(F70G) - but some of that could be due to the cab. I guess I can't know for sure unless I put 2 and 2 in the same stereo cab and switched between sides.

Avatar does their own version, the H75 which Dave told me was the exact same as the F70, but with a slightly larger dust cap - which tames the high-end a little.

mhenson42":1fs50713 said:
stephen sawall":1fs50713 said:
What cab and speaker are you using with your UL mhenson42 ?

I have a Fryette Fat Bottom cab with the Fane F70G speakers. I love it. Sounds incredible with every amp I've played with it. I took a chance when I bought it because I really hated the p50e speakers I had in a different FB cab. Still would like to try the F90s at some point.

EvilBatman":1fs50713 said:

Fryette has the designation F70G. I got these F70 speakers from Avatar - who is the U.S. distributor. I don't know what the difference is supposed to be. They do sound a little different in the diezel cab(F70) vs. the FB cab(F70G) - but some of that could be due to the cab. I guess I can't know for sure unless I put 2 and 2 in the same stereo cab and switched between sides.

Avatar does their own version, the H75 which Dave told me was the exact same as the F70, but with a slightly larger dust cap - which tames the high-end a little.

I was told the F70 and the F70G were exactly the same except for the color of the speaker housing. I've got a 212 FatBottom that I loaded up with them about a year ago and it's been so long that at this point I have forgotten which type I have in there. :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Matt...
I played on a 74'HiWatt with the Fane speakers on Sunday. It sounded amazing. I really want to try all the new ones.

Ordered a F70 from Avatar, should be here next week. I'm going to drop it into my 2x12 with a Emi Wizard, and see how it mixes. If I like it a lot I'll put another in there. I'll chime back in when it gets here...

stephen sawall":1gcdj98g said:
This thread is giving me horrible GAS for a Fryette Deliverance 4x12 with Fane 70.
There is nothing finer than the D412 cab for consistency, build quality, mono/stereo capabilities, and pricepoint.

I have no idea why these continue to fly under the radar of all the other "booteekspeak" cabs out there. Not made by B.A.D., made by Fryette. 100% kickass cabs through and through.

Just ask Howerdel.

Ventura":2r7aptpd said:
stephen sawall":2r7aptpd said:
This thread is giving me horrible GAS for a Fryette Deliverance 4x12 with Fane 70.
There is nothing finer than the D412 cab for consistency, build quality, mono/stereo capabilities, and pricepoint.

I have no idea why these continue to fly under the radar of all the other "booteekspeak" cabs out there. Not made by B.A.D., made by Fryette. 100% kickass cabs through and through.

Just ask Howerdel.

While I prefer the FB over the D cab, I agree. I've owned cabs from Bogner, Wizard, Friedman, Diezel, Mills, and Mesa. My Freyette FB with Fane F70s sounds the best of all of them. Funny thing was that I used to hate Fryette cabs - turns out it was the p50e speakers I hated so much. I have yet to play an eminence speaker that I even remotely like. If I can offload some gear, I'm going to buy another one.

Quick question for those with more experience regarding the VHT/Fryette cabs.

I have played Fatbottom and Deliverance cabs before and really like the p50e. The Fanes sound good to me from the clips I can gather as well.

Have you ever tried an EVM12L in any of the cabs? Over the years, the 12L still winds up being my go to speaker and I've liked it in almost all of the cabs I've heard it in. That said, I cannot recall trying them in a front loaded 4x12 other than the Mesa Half Back (likely my favorite 4x12). I'd like one great 4x12 that is friendly with various speakers and the Fryette Fatbottom is one of the leaders in my book currently.

I was pretty blown away by the bass definition in the Fryette cabs. It's a completely focused sound. These cabs are the best I have used.

Junk Yard Dog":3sp4fbgy said:
Bump. Looking at the Fane 90 + 70 to go in my 2x12 with a BE50.

I can say that the F70s in my Fryette cab sounded great with my BE100 when I had it. Though I really liked Scumback M75/H75 in my Friedman cab a lot too.

Update: I liked the F70, so I ordered another. Running them in a Fryette 2x12 cab. I wanted to wait until I got a band practice in with them before I posted. These are MUCH better than the P50Es. Everything that I didn't like about those speakers is gone. I had been using Wizards for awhile, but they're just too efficient and the high-mid bump is exaggerated. Anyway, the Fanes sound better out of the box than any of the Emeninces did even after breakin. The clean tones are also great. Highly recommended...

Back