Metal guys using passive PUs ‘?’

I've never been a fan of "high" output pickups. I feel that lower output pickups give me a more true sense of what the guitar itself sounds like. That's probably a nerd thing to say , but I'm sticking to it! :)

psychodave":24gs4ql3 said:
I use a Suhr Aldrich into high gain amps. It’s almost 18k.

That was one of my favorite pickups back when I was gigging. I don't think people realize how usable that pickup is for all types of stuff. Cleans up so well too.

I have a MCP 2nd Degree Black Belt in my Les Paul Classic and the stock Bill Lawrence pickup in the 89' Les Paul Standard I just picked up a few weeks ago. My custom built guitar from JWVann has a Lollar Imperial in it. All of them sound great doing metal but more of hard rock tones than thrash, etc.

bhuard75":20ydvs2n said:
Oblivion DC":20ydvs2n said:
What kind of sounds are you trying to emulate?

Not trying to emulate a particular sound. Running a diezel dmoll with a clean boost and trying to get the gain to clean up a bit so chords ring through a little clearer.

PAINKILLER. I swapped mine out for a DD last month and while the DD is badass the Painkiller is more badass. Definition with aggression is what its all about with the PK.

My three guitars have a Duncan Nazgul, Duncan Omega, and Suhr Aldrich. All three have a Sentient in the neck position.

I'm running a jb into a heavily modded mesa mark III++ultra is what call it lol. It effin blows doors into creambacks. No boost needed I kid u not.

DiMarzio Norton, so around 12. No boosts, just amp gain, and less gain than you'd think. I can get a fairly clean crunch from close miking and technique. Too much gain and boost ends up too muddy for me when I record. Typically mahogany w/ maple bodied guitars.

Lundgren M7 is great, that and Ceramic Nailbomb where the best humbuckers i tried for metal before i went with EMG single coils

Thanks for all your input guys. Got my issues squared away. It was an EQ'ing learning curve with silent playing with the 2notes.

D-Rock":4uw9ydvj said:

in that Video my Favorites are the Full Shred, Custom & The JB. I Need to Watch it again though cause I feel like i'm forgetting 1 or 2....making post from memory is a bad idea.

Back