Warehouse Guitars 1957 HOLY-GRAIL HISTORIC PAF HUMBUCKERs?

CCG30

Has anyone ever tried or have experience with Warehouse Guitars 1957 HOLY-GRAIL HISTORIC PAF HUMBUCKERs? They make great speakers but no experience with their pick ups and I can't really find any details other than their site but the look like they are exactly what I'm looking for at a really reasonable price.

https://wgsusa.com/1957-holy-grail-hist ... bucker-set

Wow, expensive for a no name. If I want PAF tone I just use my tried and true Voodoo pickups made by Peter Florence.

psychodave":37wtmof9 said:
Wow, expensive for a no name. If I want PAF tone I just use my tried and true Voodoo pickups made by Peter Florence.

yeah they are a little spendy, I just stumbled across them while looking for speakers actually and thought they sounded interesting. I've really been leaning towards the SD antiquities or bare knuckle PG blues. I've never heard of Florance pick ups, I'll check them out.

I've been wanting to try the OX4 but they are pricey as well. I played a dudes R9 with them and the guitar sounded awesome but it was an unknown amp so no frame of referencce.

SpiderWars":1717cau3 said:
I've been wanting to try the OX4 but they are pricey as well. I played a dudes R9 with them and the guitar sounded awesome but it was an unknown amp so no frame of referencce.

those OX4 Hot Duane's sound really interesting but that is a lot of money to just try a set of pick ups

CCG30":u4h63axd said:
SpiderWars":u4h63axd said:

those OX4 Hot Duane's sound really interesting but that is a lot of money to just try a set of pick ups
OX4's are fantastic, I've used the high wind version in a number of my Les Pauls (even put one in a Charvel).

In boutique PAF world, they are actually pretty reasonable pricewise IMO. I love Throbaks as well as an example, but they are much pricier than the OX4's.

I understand that boutiques tend to cost more but is the price worth it? Are these better than say SD Antiquities?

Thing is, I’m willing to bet all of these pickups sound good in their own right. Just price differences...

That said I’ve yet to hear a PAF clone 100% capture the real PAF tone. Same with Marshall amps, the clones are close, but I’ve yet to hear a clone sound like the original. There is something magical with the originals.

CCG30":2m6ruoao said:
I understand that boutiques tend to cost more but is the price worth it? Are these better than say SD Antiquities?
Probably not. IMO they are the benchmark. If you can do better then you're doing excellent.

The market is already saturated for boutique pickups. There is no special mojo that any winder has over another nor is there a special recipe especially when it comes to PAF's

Thanks, I'll probably end up going with the tried and true SD antiquity or Gibson 57s. I bought into the hype of Entwistle PAF pick ups from another forum and didn't really dig them. I pulled them out, sold them and put the stock G&L pick ups back in.

Back