NEW CAB DAY !

Hi friends !

Got the Portcity OS 212 by a winter night here in Casablanca )) I didn't fire it up yet (need a speaker cable), so I'm just going to talk a bit about the first impressions from an aesthetic side. It's solid, it has snare like respone, I mean that a light knock gives off a woody response, a bit like the respone of a muted acoustic guitar. The cab is relatively light! I mean it's heavy to the degree that it oozes solidity, yet it's not a dead mule to move! Had no desire to haul a 50 or even a 30 kg cab, so this one is really a relief! Upon first look you can tell it's a high quality cab! The tolex is awesome, It's built with great attention to detail. Caught my self turning around it, watching it from different angles and touching it slowly the way a monkey would act with a sleepy top model :D

The first pic was taken by night, you can see the plastic bag still on, then I took a couple other daylight pics in the morning.

Now I need a speaker cable, I thought I would take the opportunity of the NCD and ask what are your favorite speaker cables ? Klotz, Evidence, Orange and Vovox are on my reach, I hear the shorter the cable is, the better! I don't want to start a debate about whether speaker cables have big noticebable tonal benefits, but I believe firmly that a cable with great soldering job, thick pure copper wire and high quality connectors is worth the price! I just need something sturdy, tough and built to last.

Now I can go back and keep staring at this beauty ;)

Attachments

• Port1rsz_20180423_230735.jpg
    Port1rsz_20180423_230735.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 622
  • Port2rsz_20180424_094214.jpg
    Port2rsz_20180424_094214.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 620
  • Port3rsz_20180424_094227.jpg
    Port3rsz_20180424_094227.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 624
Just get a Mogami 3082 with gold Neutrik connectors. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Sweet, I’ve been thinking about getting the vertical one they have. What speakers did you go with? Looks great

I've heard they are great cabs, have yet to see one in the wild though. Congrats on the new gear!

Speaking of cabs, I traded an SD1, DS1 and a Biyang X drive for an empty late 60s Sound city cab. Gonna be a project, tolex is barely there so gonna take that off and either stain it or retolex. It's identical to a late 60s Marshall B cab. Good times.

Snave":ahud7mm0 said:
Just get a Mogami 3082 with gold Neutrik connectors. Anything beyond that is overkill.

I think I will end up with a Providence 602. High end cables without the high end price! Also Michael Landau seems to love them, which is a bonus for me :thumbsup:

Zachalou":1ym9xtj4 said:
Sweet, I’ve been thinking about getting the vertical one they have. What speakers did you go with? Looks great

Thank you man :thumbsup:
Yep I'm really impressed with the built quality/attention to details, but I can't wait to try it out to see if it sounds as nice as it looks !
It has two WGS Veteran 30! Heard great things about them, but as you probably know there is no speaker that rules supreme and is a winner for evey single quitarist, each speaker has a dedicated crowd, some swear by V30 and some lay them to collect dust. I contacted Daniel Klein saying that I wonder if the Veteran 30s are a good fit for high gain tones and heavy metal styles a la Megadeth, Iced Eearth, Slayer, modern Judas Priest...I did mention I have a Marshall JCM KK. He said the Veteran 30 speaker should work great for me and If I would have ordered a cab directly he would have recommended those speakers.

Racerxrated":3am3k8w9 said:
I've heard they are great cabs, have yet to see one in the wild though. Congrats on the new gear!

Speaking of cabs, I traded an SD1, DS1 and a Biyang X drive for an empty late 60s Sound city cab. Gonna be a project, tolex is barely there so gonna take that off and either stain it or retolex. It's identical to a late 60s Marshall B cab. Good times.

Thanks man :rock:

You should definitely start a thread and let us know how the Sound city project is going !

Back