Marshall Celestion Vintage vs Chinese Vintage 30?

LPMojoGL":1gwa5lfa said:
The Mesas are a bit darker, Marshalls a bit brighter.
Mesas darker than Chinese, right? And Marshalls brighter than Chinese? Or just brighter than Mesa?

I had a Mesa 4x12, and swapped some speaker into my Marshall 4x12. Right now i have 3 chinese and 1 Marshall V30. The difference isn't so great, probably more a matter of time/break-in then real construction differences.

Bump!

Anyone has any more input?

I'm undecided about pulling the trigger on a couple of Marshall-branded V30's or Mesa OEM V30's. Wanted to know you guys' thoughts.

I've had a quad of Chinese Hellatone 8ohm, Mesa 8ohm, & uk 16ohm (same voicing as the chinese) V30's all in the same vintage marshall style cab. They were all broken in. I found the difference pretty noticeable.

Comparing the Mesa to the 8ohm Chinese I found it to sound like many describe - the Mesa sounds like the mids are shifted a little lower. The 16ohm quad had an overall more jagged tone with the sharpest upper mid peak. I also felt like their tone didn't jive as much with how this cab resonates if that makes sense. I need to try get around to trying the Marshall version.

So yeah, I find them different and depending on your cab and amp you'll likely prefer one over the other.

Another interesting comparison:

It would seem to me like Marshall Vintage speakers are actually warmer, contradicting a lot of reviews which describe them as brighter. Maybe those are comparing the 8 ohm Chinese vs the 16 ohm Marshall Vintage which is way more common.

I think I'm going to go for Marshall Vintage rather than Mesa Vintage 30's. I want warmer, yes, but I don't want a completly different-sounding speaker.

^^^ That video really makes me think the v30 was new and not broken in. Also is the v30 8 or 16 ohm?

8ohm v30's sound darker, and with a touch more punch than the 16ohm.

Back