New AIC single

I'm starting to sort of like the tune, ha! I still stand by what I said though. They need to shake things up a bit, get edgy and dangerous and pick up the tempo on a couple songs. Or go the opposite way and do another Jar Of Flies. And let William sing!

That said, it's pretty cool that they're still rocking, honestly. And they're really great live these days.

cardinal":1yrcjfob said:
I agree that they should let DuVall cut loose. The band in general should try to be more aggressive, and giving DuVall the chance to wail could be the spark.
:yes: :thumbsup:

Overall, not bad - what came to mind immediately was influences of RATM, Stef's playing in Deftones, and early Metallica with its square edge monotonous chunk chunk chunk chunk. Vocal melody/harmony unmistakable AIC. Hopefully the rest of the album will have some richer and deeper AIC DNA. But this one ain't bad. Ain't bad at all. It's AIC through and through.

I like it :rock: Even the other albums after Layne were pretty cool. I like when Jerry taps into his metal roots every so often ;) And I'm glad he grew his hair out again, clean cut Cantrell didn't look right to me.

Not sure what I think. I didn't really like the verse riff too much but the chorus was badass.

Listened a few times now... There's some good shit in here. And as for Jerry's singing, he's been singing since Facelift, it's nothing new... Layne just took more of a prominent role back in the day, but Jerry's always been the choral singer in that band - sometimes up front and centre, sometimes a little in the back - but always there. I think DuVall is doing a fucking great job. And a few posts up - Looking In View??? Holy fuck what a song!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: My daughters' fave song - and their 8 and 10 (good taste :thumbsup: )

napalmdeath":16zcj5hw said:
The only reason people really care, is because of the Friedman fanboyism, and the fact that Jerry plays one. Without the Friedman ties, he'd be the overrated guitar player to many that he really is, and irrelevant.

A lot of people had never even heard of Friedman until Cantrell started using them.

I was expecting a flaming dumpster fire based on the comments, so maybe my expectations were low going in...but I enjoyed it. Sort of old AIC with an occasional King's X vibe blended in somewhat. I dig it.

I think the vocals and vocal harmonies are really good on this song. The riffs speak for themselves, pretty basic, but stay out of the way of the vocals pretty well. I do wish there was a little more variation in the main "chord", but it's a good song.

I can't stand Duvall, he doesn't have the AIC vibe IMO. The last couple albums including the new single sound like the same overproduced, glossy shit they have been churning out since "Black Gives Way To Blue". Wish they'd release something raw and mean like the self titled album... that album was really under-rated.

... and I think Jerry needs to do something about his tone. It's too generic/smooth since he started using those Friedman amps. He should get back to what made his tone so great in the 90's, the Bogner Fish pre-amp.

anomaly":2rpo2iue said:
I can't stand Duvall, he doesn't have the AIC vibe IMO. The last couple albums including the new single sound like the same overproduced, glossy shit they have been churning out since "Black Gives Way To Blue". Wish they'd release something raw and mean like the self titled album... that album was really under-rated.

... and I think Jerry needs to do something about his tone. It's too generic/smooth since he started using those Friedman amps. He should get back to what made his tone so great in the 90's, the Bogner Fish pre-amp.

None of the stuff you mentioned really has much to do with Duvall.

Can't really shit on you for not liking his voice, but I don't know what options AiC really had. I'm glad they went with someone who doesn't try to be Layne. He's got a great voice when he's allowed to actually use it.

NewWorldMan":1qedgunb said:
I was expecting a flaming dumpster fire based on the comments, so maybe my expectations were low going in...but I enjoyed it. Sort of old AIC with an occasional King's X vibe blended in somewhat. I dig it.

Same here :thumbsup:

The second single is better but still too many vocal tracks in my opinion.

The album comes out 8/24. Looks like the title track is supposed to be the best song.

Great riffs in the second single, but IMHO the vocals are too laid back and droning. Would have been better if DuVall had been given the reins and sung with more aggression.

Back