Friedman Dirty Shirley 100

jimmy274

I thought I should share this with you guys...

I own a club in Belgrade, Serbia and we had guys from "Stray Train" last night. They are slovenian hard rocking blues pumped bad ass sounding band. :) So the guitar player Boban Milunovic brought up this strange looking Friedman amp to the stage. It's basically a 100 watt version of Dirty Shirley in a large headshell with two gain channels. There are few switches thrown in, like gain structure for every channel and there are thump and response switches for the power amp section. Runs on four 5881's.

There's the loop in the back, line out with level, speaker outputs, no serial number and band's logo "Stray Train".

It sounds awesome! I am an idiot and I didn't shot a clip... Boban told me that Dave really liked how the amp turned out and maybe we could see it released in the near future. For now it is a one off special request build.

This is very cool!

The Dirty Shirley is still probably my go to amp and I have plenty to choose from (most of which I've built myself).

I've been threatening to build a 100w Dirty Shirley for some time, just haven't been able to get my head around whether the amp needs dual rectifiers to handle the additional current. I've always come back to yes, given a stock 5AR4 can only handle around 250ma and a single 5881 at peak load can pull close to 100ma. I've just not sure whether it would withstand the load.

So I'd be interested to know whether Friedman uses dual rectifiers.

From what I've heard, Dave made a few of these in the past. Joe Bonamasa having one and I heard Joe Perry had another.

Back