Traded my Friedman for a Splawn Quickrod!

Badronald

I know, some of you guys questioned if I was ok with the small glass in the PT20 and it finally happened.

I’d been jamming with my guys with the PT20 and a few weeks ago I took my 6505+ to rehearsal and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The headroom and visceral assault of the big bottles and the 120 watts Is just incredible. Even at lower volumes.

So......I found a local guy on CL with the Quickrod and he was looking for less wattage. We traded.
I took the Quickrod to rehearsal yesterday and my favorite Stratocaster with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and Duncan Quarter Pound directly into the amp with a cable. I’ve been using one of those headstock tuners. So no pedals. Plugged into my ported Hermida 2x12 with Vintage 30’s and damn.

I’ve had a lot of Marshall’s over the years and I love four holers, but this is the best Marshall based amp I’ve had. The balls and clarity are stunning. That midrange whack is fantastic.

This is my 2nd Quickrod and I like this one better. Has the loop volume and 4 button footswitch. Heyboer tranny and choke. Fresh glass. Perfect rock to heavy rock tone.

Anyway. I’m happy. :rock:

romanianreaper":1vzh00u7 said:
I love the Friedman tone, but can't fault you for wanting that Splawn because those kick ass as well!

Same here , I had a Friedman Smallbox but I prefer my Splawn SS EL34 . I think the OP made the right choice

My 2005 QuickRod has stopped all amp gas for me. I do wish it had the updated clean channel, but do you really buy a hot rodded Marshall style amp for the clean channel? lol! It cuts through a mix lie a hot knife. It has the tone I have searched after for the past 30 years. Friedman makes a killer amp, but so does Spawn. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Awesome man :rock:
I been doiing tons of trades myself these days.
Pretty much apple for apple

Not really a bad amp out here these days right??
It’s all good. :thumbsup:

Mailman1971":2vybklc4 said:
Awesome man :rock:
I been doiing tons of trades myself these days.
Pretty much apple for apple

Not really a bad amp out here these days right??
It’s all good. :thumbsup:

Agreed. I’ve been saying this for the last ten years or so. There is so much great gear out there these days. You can spend a lot or not. There’s no reason not to have great tones. The guitars, amps, pedals are fantastic. You can get great guitars for so cheap as well. It’s a good time.

Took a chance on a kt88 loaded supercomp recently, it is one of the best amps I’ve ever owned and boosted with a Maxon it is my ideal metal tone. I’d like to try a quick rod one day, even though I live close to splawn I never see his amps second hand locally

I've got a B+ Pro Stock and the BE50 Deluxe. 100w vs. 50w. Both great amps.

Take the BB clean away from the BE50 and I'll just compare the gain tones and options between the two. Splawn is slightly tighter. Friedman has way more tonal variation and capacity. Both share the Marshall DNA. Friedman thumps, especially for a 50w. The Splawn has a TON of bass and I'm usually always keeping it at 9:00 on Gear 2 and 3. Both do blues, rock, hard rock, metal well without boost and with boosts. I think the Friedman likes my boosts pedals a little better. I feel the Splawn has more gain on tap and you get it more quickly at 12:00 on the gain knob, but after that it compresses further and you may give up some articulation. Friedman stays a little more clear with gain dimed. Splawn has a little more saturation. Friedman offers that with the Sat switch, which I've grown to really like lately.

I wouldn't compare a Pink Taco to Quickrod or other non EL84 amp.

Bottom Line: Splawns are fantastic amps, tremendous value, and do their own thing. Friedman's to my ears are more authentic hod-rods of the classic Marshall camp, but also have their own thing and I like them better than the classic Marshalls. Pricey, but you get what you pay for with the Friedmans.

Can't go wrong with either build. Congrats!

For a Grand used there are some great deals.... Splawn QR, VHT D60/120, JCM 800s to name a few....no need to spend much more than that for great tone.

Racerxrated":y2kspdvn said:
For a Grand used there are some great deals.... Splawn QR, VHT D60/120, JCM 800s to name a few....no need to spend much more than that for great tone.

Agree. Like my Splawn Pro Stock in the Classifieds now. :D

Junk Yard Dog":21ss9ofo said:
Racerxrated":21ss9ofo said:

Agree. Like my Splawn Pro Stock in the Classifieds now. :D
Nice shameless plug....
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
:rock:

= Ditched this Marshall for a 100 watt Splawn, no comparison....SPLAWN RULES! :yes:

MS2-large.jpg

Scott Splawn made me think about a modded amp first. Then he had his own BRAND. It was mostly timing, but still love his 2x12 cab, will never get rid of it. Friedman is my latest obsession, love the tone/voicing.

I just got the silver MXR ten band and I’m really looking forward to putting it in the loop of the QR.
Have any of you done this?
I assume you can get the metal with that EQ.

Junk Yard Dog":2fz7aaij said:
I've got a B+ Pro Stock and the BE50 Deluxe. 100w vs. 50w. Both great amps.

Take the BB clean away from the BE50 and I'll just compare the gain tones and options between the two. Splawn is slightly tighter. Friedman has way more tonal variation and capacity. Both share the Marshall DNA. Friedman thumps, especially for a 50w. The Splawn has a TON of bass and I'm usually always keeping it at 9:00 on Gear 2 and 3. Both do blues, rock, hard rock, metal well without boost and with boosts. I think the Friedman likes my boosts pedals a little better. I feel the Splawn has more gain on tap and you get it more quickly at 12:00 on the gain knob, but after that it compresses further and you may give up some articulation. Friedman stays a little more clear with gain dimed. Splawn has a little more saturation. Friedman offers that with the Sat switch, which I've grown to really like lately.

I wouldn't compare a Pink Taco to Quickrod or other non EL84 amp.

Bottom Line: Splawns are fantastic amps, tremendous value, and do their own thing. Friedman's to my ears are more authentic hod-rods of the classic Marshall camp, but also have their own thing and I like them better than the classic Marshalls. Pricey, but you get what you pay for with the Friedmans.

Can't go wrong with either build. Congrats!

Of course there’s no comparison between the two. That was exactly my point.
I prefer the big amp.

Badronald":2271nmm4 said:
I just got the silver MXR ten band and I’m really looking forward to putting it in the loop of the QR.

I put a TC Electronic Spark Mini in the loop of my Splawn SS just to get a clean volume boost and for that it worked great . If you want to get metal I`d run a Friedman Buxom boost up front

Badronald":1zphfm7l said:

I run an mxr 10 band in the loop of my Quickrod and smack the front with a Ts9; that amp is as metal as it gets. No added gain from the Ts9 whatsoever. Just simply use it to further tighten up the lows a little. Trash, death, modern...All the metals are in there. Killer, killer box for all things brutal.

Back