NAD: Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary

Lord Toneking

Picked up a Shiva in a trade and it so far has exceeded my expectations. It's the 90w KT88 non-reverb version and it's my first Bogner. I always thought of the Shiva as a lower mid-gain type amp, man was I wrong! This thing is simply badass! Killer warm distortion and rich harmonics...and an incredible clean channel. Oh and it has a boost for solos. Such a fun amp to play. I was hesitant about getting a combo but I have no traders remorse whatsoever! This thing just flat out kills...I love it!

If you haven't tried one I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YFMIJdO

Lord Toneking":3bg6a00o said:
Picked up a Shiva in a trade and it so far has exceeded my expectations. It's the 90w KT88 non-reverb version and it's my first Bogner. I always thought of the Shiva as a lower mid-gain type amp, man was I wrong! This thing is simply badass! Killer warm distortion and rich harmonics...and an incredible clean channel. Oh and it has a boost for solos. Such a fun amp to play. I was hesitant about getting a combo but I have no traders remorse whatsoever! This thing just flat out kills...I love it!

If you haven't tried one I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YFMIJdO
Congrats! I’d love a Shiva Combo...and an anni to boot! :rock:

CONGRATS!!! These amps flat out rip :rock: :rock: :rock: Such warm yet mean distortion. I play 100% brutal metal with mine, and its awesome.

Like you I traded for mine and was nervous as I traded an Engl Savage which I really loved. The GAS got me, but it paid off because I like the 20th Shiva as much and at times more than the Savage I traded.

Congrats again on one hell of an amp :rock: :rock: :rock:

yeah, the 20th Sheeves is killer. Very responsive to tube rolling as well, but all are just different flavors of good.

With the KT88s, I really liked the V30. A very full-sounding, modern amp that can also do a very pleasing low-to-mid-gain tone. And with the tone shift, that amp can do a pretty good impersonation of a Dumble.

Congrats. Same deal for me a few months back, had a trade offer, took it and it’s one of my favorites to play for sure. Badass amp.

74 lbs...wholly back breaker.
You'll be looking like the Hulk by summers end
hefting that beast.

...by the way, you just cost me $2500.00

I’m going to say it’s the best “sleeper” amp. It’s evident by the fact that so many players seem to get this amp on a trade and haven’t actually sought the amp out. I also traded for the 20th Shiva after not being able to sell my Musicman JP BFR. I’ve been amazed by this amp. It’s the perfect amp for a cover band as it can do jazz to country to metal very well. It’s been my main amp now for 2 years. It must have a lot of gain as it kicked my 5153 out of that spot.

John4021":3ltu07x7 said:
74 lbs...wholly back breaker.
You'll be looking like the Hulk by summers end
hefting that beast.

...by the way, you just cost me $2500.00
Lol, nah...I've got this cool aluminum fold up dolly. Works great!

Did ya get the reverb version? You're gonna love this amp!

nevusofota":1rnhwc3h said:
I’m going to say it’s the best “sleeper” amp. It’s evident by the fact that so many players seem to get this amp on a trade and haven’t actually sought the amp out. I also traded for the 20th Shiva after not being able to sell my Musicman JP BFR. I’ve been amazed by this amp. It’s the perfect amp for a cover band as it can do jazz to country to metal very well. It’s been my main amp now for 2 years. It must have a lot of gain as it kicked my 5153 out of that spot.
So true! Very versatile amp with just enough sag.

Do you use any type of OD with the clean channel for adding more tones? I was thinking of picking up a BBPre or something to get some mid-gain crunch ala Andy Timmons

The Verb model was "special order " through
Sweetwater. Plus I gots enough reverb using
Rack gear ,etc.
I have 5 or 6 drive/OD pedals so I'll let you know what works.
Throw in some Chinese military 12AX7'S and she should really roar.

Lord Toneking":2wb44kvc said:
nevusofota":2wb44kvc said:

Do you use any type of OD with the clean channel for adding more tones? I was thinking of picking up a BBPre or something to get some mid-gain crunch ala Andy Timmons

A Timmy sounds pretty sweet through the clean.

Lord Toneking":155asp4r said:
nevusofota":155asp4r said:

I’ve found that the clean channel works well with any overdrive, just use the one you typically like. I personally like tube screamers in general for this application but especially in this amp as I feel the clean channel is heavy in the low frequency and tube screamers tend to inherently cancel some of this out giving it a nice AC30-like tone. I specifically use the Ibanez TS mini with this amp.

Here’s the board I use with the Sheeves:

nevusofota":3lc8u61t said:
Lord Toneking":3lc8u61t said:
nevusofota":3lc8u61t said:

I’ve found that the clean channel works well with any overdrive, just use the one you typically like. I personally like tube screamers in general for this application but especially in this amp as I feel the clean channel is heavy in the low frequency and tube screamers tend to inherently cancel some of this out giving it a nice AC30-like tone. I specifically use the Ibanez TS mini with this amp.

That's a great setup! Is that a PT2 board? I need to invest in a switcher like that but never thought I'd have room for it

Lord Toneking":27zkwjc6 said:
nevusofota":27zkwjc6 said:
Lord Toneking":27zkwjc6 said:
nevusofota":27zkwjc6 said:

That's a great setup! Is that a PT2 board? I need to invest in a switcher like that but never thought I'd have room for it

It is a PT2. I made myself stay within this size board as I could get crazy with things I don’t need. I chose this switcher when building because it’s the smallest in length and is the only one that would fit the volume, wah and tap on the front line. It works well and allows me to change channels on the Shiva (via the mini amp Gizmo) and have presets. All the more recent switchers (ie Boss stuff) is too long.

Thanks! The warts power the Timeline and MusicomLabs switcher. You can probably tell that they both are getting power from the AC tap on the PP2.

Also, it’s worth attaching a sheet of plexiglass to the top of the Pedaltrain to increase the surface area to mount pedals.

Back