Charvel San Dimas pickups?? Hot rod style

Matte23

I've an Charvel San Dimas made in Japan in 2011/2012,
I've mounted a Suhr SSH+ in the bridge and I 've leave the stock pickup in the neck (Seymour 59)
Now I want a more screaming pickup in the bridge and I'm thinking put cream colored pickups to fit the old 80's San dimas super strat, but what is the best pickup configuration for this super strat?
1 - Super distortion + PAF (Dimarzio)
2 - Tonezone + Humbucker from hell (dimarzio)
3 - 59 seyour + Wilde L500L Becky and Bill Lawrence

I play some old style hard rock like Europe, Dokken, Extreme, Mr.Big, Van Halen ecc.....

I just pulled an SSH+ from my SD and went with just the standard Suhr SSV Bridge and SSV Neck. Much more open and balanced sounding now. My amp has plenty of gain so no need for the extra output or compression.

mixn4him":146jbgk2 said:
I just pulled an SSH+ from my SD and went with just the standard Suhr SSV Bridge and SSV Neck. Much more open and balanced sounding now. My amp has plenty of gain so no need for the extra output or compression.

Yes SSH+ has beautiful mids but it is too much beefy for me now.....I've thinking also to the SSV+.... Thank you mixn4him for your suggest

I have a BG Hellabucker in my USA San Dimas. They are hot pickups, but don't really react like hot pickups. Lot's of clarity, but i like the "oooomph" it has. really solid and clear for rhythms and fluid for leads.

I have a SD Custom Custom in my USA SoCal and that pickup has surprised me. I just finished some recording with it and it has a very balanced EQ (in this guitar anyway) and super fluid for leads.

I like option 1, but you could swap the neck PAF for the Hum from Hell as well. The Dimarzio Super Dist is perfect in this guitar.

Old style 80's tone across the board that you mentioned...

Seymour Duncan Custom bridge it will do VH, Dokken and then some and it split's nicely with a 59 neck.

The Bill Lawrence can sound good but you really have to EQ the amp radically different to elicit great tones ala NUNO, pretty much you have to scoop the mids and treble/presence out of the amp because it is a bright pickup but it has great cut very aggressive and great harmonics like Nuno and Dime.

The Duncan Custom is more balanced and is a screaming bridge PAF on steroids at 14K resistance.

I'm more of a Duncan guy than a Dimarzio guy. I'm a huge KISS fan and loved Ace Frehley's sound but wasn't a big fan of the last Super Distortion I had in a Les Paul. For 80s stuff, I've just always loved Duncans.

harddriver":1mnryitn said:
Old style 80's tone across the board that you mentioned...

Seymour Duncan Custom bridge it will do VH, Dokken and then some and it split's nicely with a 59 neck.

The Bill Lawrence can sound good but you really have to EQ the amp radically different to elicit great tones ala NUNO, pretty much you have to scoop the mids and treble/presence out of the amp because it is a bright pickup but it has great cut very aggressive and great harmonics like Nuno and Dime.

The Duncan Custom is more balanced and is a screaming bridge PAF on steroids at 14K resistance.
This is what I have in my 09 Charvel USA SoCal....sounds killer. Balanced with a nice low end push.

UPDATE:
I've ordered a cream dimarzio set: a Super distortion for the bridge and a PAF36th for the neck, all cream with a cream pickup rings! :D :D
I can't wait to put them in my Charvel!!
The Super distortion is a must for this type of guitar and the paf36 I already had in another guitar and I like very much!

Matte23":1vlc3sl3 said:
UPDATE:
I've ordered a cream dimarzio set: a Super distortion for the bridge and a PAF36th for the neck, all cream with a cream pickup rings! :D :D
I can't wait to put them in my Charvel!!
The Super distortion is a must for this type of guitar and the paf36 I already had in another guitar and I like very much!
Smart choice! This is the classic combo that was in many originals back in the early 80's. My 1981 san dimas has this set.
The 36th PAF is a DP-103 and is very close to the original DP-103 with some modern tweaks. The Super D is unchanged, it remains the same today as it was in the 70's with the inclusion of wax potting

Back